Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
    naaaaaaaaaaw brah I said we hooooooooooongry
    Someone needs to do a mash-up of this and the Chechen from Dark Knight.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Devin's review makes me want to see this more.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• KICK ME IN THE JIMMY!
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• So...his vitriol was used on a film everyone knows is nothing but vapid pyrotechnics?

I know The Bearded Schlubby One is given to self-masturbatory verbiage, but this was hilariously excessive.

Just more of the same from Dev.
          More of the same from Bay.
          Same shit, different day.

*b-Boy stance unlocked*
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Couple guys I know that have no idea who Devin is just hit my twitter feed with similar thoughts of "wow this guy knows this is just a dumbass Transformer movie right?"

Comment

• Also interesting to note how it looks like Devin has turned on Shia by his remarks in his review. I thought he loved the guy.
              Originally posted by Ari
              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Yeah, I thought Shia was great in the first one. Fuck he was the best part of Crystal Skull as well.

Comment

• I recall Devin liking Shia as well. Huh.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• http://www.screened.com/heres-what-y...rmers/128-665/

This is the most I've seen of part two, but holy fuck. Transformer heaven?

Comment

• Yeah, the 2nd one was shit. And not fun shit. But shit shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                        This is the most I've seen of part two, but holy fuck. Transformer heaven?
                        You have no idea. This has been a very serious breach of the almighty Lazarus law "never go full retarded". And then some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                          ID4 begs to differ.
                          So much of that film's re-watchability comes from Goldblum.

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                          Avatar has a soul? Bobby, come on. Bobby. Bobby.
                          It may not be the most sophisticated thing in the world, but there's a level of ambition and artistry on show in Avatar I don't even think Bay cares about. I think people are exceedingly unfair to it just because it's clear and upfront about its intentions. In a film like that, theme was never going to lie far from the surface.

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                          To be fair, Avatar had its moments, and I got where Cameron was coming from with the flick. Though heavy-handed, it did make a statement.
                          Glad I'm not alone with that. I still like my blockbusters to not just be "acceptably stupid" so Cameron's so much more my kinda director.

Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                          Yeah, I love me some Avatar but even I know that it's on par with Bay, easily. Cameron is about spectacle just as much as Bay is, just so happens that every once in awhile he's able to have characters that aren't caricatures.
                          I just tried watching The Rock earlier tonight and got bored after about 10 or 15 minutes. It feels exactly like Armageddon, a film I caught about half an hour of again last week. The scenery, backdrop to explosions/silliness/etc might change, but Bay's films tend to follow the same hyperactive, sloppy formula. They play like he's afraid to give the audience pause because if the crazy stops for even a second, they'll realize what they're watching and flick over/walk out.

If you watch those films, then watch Avatar, you'll appreciate just how unfair it is to Cameron to suggest Bay's in the same bracket. Even the technological context of Avatar puts it in another universe. Bay's the directorial equivalent of Bart in that future episode when he's chuffed to bits being paid to knock down buildings.
                          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• No no no Bobby.

The Rock is still Bay's best movie, and like Ron Jeremy with a 18 years old nubile teen from Nebraska, one I fully endorse. It's still one of the best action movie of the 90s.

And I heard Alan Tudyk is in Transformer 3. TICKET SOLD.
                            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              No no no Bobby.

The Rock is still Bay's best movie...
                              That may well be, but what is it really saying? There's still no weight to any of that opening sequence. It doesn't matter how much the Stars and Stripes flutter in the wind or how many generic "pulse-pounding" action scenes there are if the characters are simply ciphers. As The Ruck said before, Bay + emotion = shrug.

Even Ed Harris can't elevate his generic "the line must be drawn HEEEEAAAH!" speech to anything of note. It's just as empty as so much of his work because it tries to take itself somewhat seriously and he's not nimble enough to pull something like that off. He barely succeeds as a peddler of bombastic vacuousness most of the time.

Just in case this gets taken out of context, I'm not getting bent out of shape about this. I'm just enjoying the debate. Only saying this because I suspect sometimes I come off as angry when, in fact, I'm just engaged.
                              "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• See, now I want to watch The Rock all over again because of the debate - been awhile since I saw it, and even then I only watched it once.

Comment

Working...
                                X