Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shit, I replied to that this morning. Must have been lost when the db was down. And yeah, it wasn't as terrible as everyone was saying (not that that's high praise) but goddamn if Hector wasn't AWESOME. And he totes mcgoats is the Overlord.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Maybe Hector set off a nostalgia bomb as I loved Howard the Duck but it really wasn't that bad. Sequel with minimal earth stuff? I'd watch.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• The stuff in space was great. MORE KILIWOG.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Yep, great design and effects work there.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Small caveat: the design for Oa was all over the fucking place.

Oa was a hodgepodge of things that do not mesh at all when put in the same frame. "Busy" is a word that comes to mind. "Lazy" is another.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I can agree with that. It certainly didn't convey the image of an intentionally designed place by any means. Looked thrown together.

Comment

• Threads.

Maybe the most frightening movie I've ever seen.
                Originally posted by Ari
                The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Jamie obviously hasn't seen Jack and Jill.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Wasn't Threads one of those post-nuclear freakshow? If so, yeah, that was REALLY disturbing. EVen moreso with the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Wasn't Threads one of those post-nuclear freakshow? If so, yeah, that was REALLY disturbing. EVen moreso with the end.
                      Yes, and fuck yes. Not available for us Hicks/Yanks, so I have no idea posting the YouTube link here.

http://youtu.be/_MCbTvoNrAg
                      Originally posted by Ari
                      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Great fun. GREAT fun. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine are really likeable as the central duo, infusing a lot of charm and some fantastic timing into their characters - they kind of reminded me of an American Simon Pegg and Nick Frost - and the way the conceit of the film is played out is pretty much perfect. I have to confess to laughing really hard at a couple of moments that, while obvious, were played to perfection - namely, Tudyk cutting into a wasps' nest with a chainsaw and the resulting panicked, chainsaw-weilding running and Tudyk's delivery of 'That hurt very much' (I won't spoil the circumstances). The third act is pretty wobbly and provides no real surprises and Katrina Bowden (a long lost Olsen sister?) fails to sell the final scene, having been pretty good up to that point. But these are minor quibbles. Its a short, fun film that aspires to the likes of Shaun of the Dead, even if falls a little short.

Blue Valentine

Fuck me, Gosling is the goods. This is a simple story (simultaneous telling of the beginning and end of a relationship) told beautifully. Its all about the acting really, and Gosling and Williams are superb throughout. Derek Cianfrance has shot to the top of my watch list with this and his use of juxtaposition and music is sublime. But its all about the pacing and acting, every scene given just the right amount of room to breathe. Though it doesn't go anywhere particularly surprising, the technique is pretty faultless, a few scenes packing some real power. All that said, I would probably avoid watching this with a partner, since there are some pretty tough truths played out here. Gosling's scenes with his removal co-worker in particular rang very true for me. Personally, watching alone and high, I found it to be a pretty haunting portrayal of how and why we fuck each other up so consistently. Not what I would call depressing, but you have to strap yourself in for this one. Highly recommended nonetheless.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I was meaning to see Tucker and Dale. Good to see more approval. I LOVE Tudyk's work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                            Submarine, while completely different, is no less brilliant.... Fans of Rian Johnson and Wes Anderson need to see this film. If none of that has convinced you, it has a supporting role by Paddy Considine playing a new age ninja self-help guru.
                            Superb post, sir. It completely surpassed my expectations, and I was well aware of the talent involved. I've always found myself a little underwhelmed by Johnson and Anderson's work (except for Rushmore in the latter's case.) They just don't feel very accessible on an emotional level. Too faux-quirky indie movie shorthand basically - I realize that's a massive stereotype, but that's just how I feel about them.

Submarine, on the other hand, struck me as a film which succeeds in that department in a way its peers rarely do. I think it comes down to a certain warmth so that, even if you have characters and situations that aren't necessarily always charming or easy to relate to, the film isn't emotionally numbed or almost impenetrable. The likes of the scoring you already mentioned and the gorgeous camera-work this film also boasted are just two of the other ingredients helping that along nicely.

Considine's in-character bonus stuff on the Blu-ray is fantastic as well, by the way.
                            Last edited by Bobby Bear; 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM.
                            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• CHILDREN OF MEN

Was in the mood to see it again. It's pretty much a flawless film.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• It's an unquestionable masterpiece. Saw it again last weekend as well (played on TV). So great.

Comment

Working...
                                X