Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enjoyed it but it did kind of feel bloated.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
      Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Poorma--er Spy.

Truncated to fit the running time, it loses a bit in clarity, but in a way that made it kind of a fun exercise in hunting for details in every frame.

Oldman is fantastic, as is John Hurt in his handful of scenes as Control. An angry John Hurt is always a pleasure to watch.

Ken Bandersnatch [sp?] is also very good. I enjoyed mahself.
      Just watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and I agree with Russ. The shortened running time and time jumps murks things up a bit, demanding the viewer pay attention to what's going on. Ah, but the rewards are worth it. Everybody brought their "A game" to this and it shows - Oldman was terrific in this; even when all he had to do was sit in a room and quietly think, you were drawn to him and what was going on inside his head. John Hurt was great in his cameos (needed more Control stuff, blast it), Mark Strong delivered right from the get go, and his character arc and its conclusion was very strong - you could feel how screwed up he was as his character arc progressed.

Been awhile since I had to put on my detective cap, and it was well worth it. I do however,want to watch the original series from back in the day, to see what got cut for the film, and to let other scenes and characters breathe a bit.

Comment

• THE GIRL WITH THE SWEDISH TATTOO- I hesitate to bring up the old "the book was better" trope, buuuut... yeah. I understand the need to excise some sections of the book because Larsson provided lots of background and color that wouldn't work on the screen. But the things they took out didn't weren't good cause for the changes they made to the main investigation. In some ways, I think they weakened Lisbeth's character.

KILLER ELITE- I really enjoyed this one even though it was a little uneven. For supposedly being nutty, Owen played his character quite subdued.

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
          THE GIRL WITH THE SWEDISH TATTOO- I hesitate to bring up the old "the book was better" trope, buuuut... yeah. I understand the need to excise some sections of the book because Larsson provided lots of background and color that wouldn't work on the screen. But the things they took out didn't weren't good cause for the changes they made to the main investigation. In some ways, I think they weakened Lisbeth's character.

KILLER ELITE- I really enjoyed this one even though it was a little uneven. For supposedly being nutty, Owen played his character quite subdued.
          Agreed.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Bit of a mixed bag this weekend.

Akira

I took a sudden notion to watch this (for the first time in a few years.) People can gripe all they want about the exposition-laden dialogue and the odd misstep here or there, but I still find this absolutely terrific. The central relationships and how they intersect when things get cooking is a joy to behold because it's driven by character, not to mention connected rather wonderfully to the deeper themes/motifs.

It really impressed me how well the animation holds up. The design prowess and attention to detail remains staggering. It's not just that, though. Each character has a distinct physicality that shows through in their movement; every kick/punch/gunshot has a potency beyond that of lots of live-action tripe I've watched. There are also none of the tawdry, penny-pinching pans/tilts over static backgrounds that tarnish lesser anime.

I couldn't give a monkeys if it's not the done thing to say this or not: I would love to see a slick Hollywood version of this if it came from the right people. The political/militia sequences are ripe for streamlining; they definitely have their rough edges, but, as far as the other stuff goes, it could more or less be ported/tweaked to fit the new medium. It would be a shame to change scenes as perfect as the sewer escape/stadium showdown/bike chase battles too much just for the sake of it.

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Horrible. A mish-mash of tropes and influences so cack-handed it played like something a group of 15 year olds would whip up during a bored free period or something.

"You know what would be cool? Sub-Matrix martial arts in a period setting with a big, awful looking CGI monster tossed in?" Umm. No.

Experimentation is to be applauded, but this refused to decide what it wanted to be, or maintain any semblance of direction. I turned it off before I fell asleep so I can't award it the 0 Isla Fishers rating I planned to.
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF isn't high art but it's still fun. I usually turn it off when Mani gets killed, though.

AKIRA is hard for me to watch anymore. I used to be obsessed with it but now all of the gaping plot issues just get in the way of the wonderful animation.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Bobby: try watching BOTW with Van Halen playing. You'll laugh.
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Bobby. Concerning Brotherhood of the Wolf...

If by "horrible" you mean "fucking AWESOME", yup, I completely agree with you.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• The tasteful transitional dissolve from Bellucci's magnificent mammaries into the Alps earns it at least one Isla.

You heathen.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                      The tasteful transitional dissolve from Bellucci's magnificent mammaries into the Alps earns it at least one Isla.

You heathen.
                      I'm searching for a non-CHUD gif of that one since 10 minutes ago...

It's a fun movie. Retarded, but fun.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I love Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Bobby. Concerning Brotherhood of the Wolf...

If by "horrible" you mean "fucking AWESOME", yup, I completely agree with you.
                          This. Brotherhood is fucking great.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Watched Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead last night. Fuck to the yes. Skeezy Duchovny is fantastic and the Kenny is the shit.
                            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Still use that "really fun squeegie" line whenever I'm at the gas station.

Especially if people are around.

Good times.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                                Watched Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead last night. Fuck to the yes. Skeezy Duchovny is fantastic and the Kenny is the shit.
                                Dishes are done dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X