Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosses was alright. Mostly because of Spacey's reprisal of his role from Swimming with Sharks.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
      I imagine it plays great with an audience, though. Maybe I should have seen it with an audience.
      I laughed hard at it both in the theater and at home, but yeah, it's fun to see with an audience. One "off the cuff" moment that I loved was at the end when Lillian and Dougie are leaving the reception and everyone's waving goodbye. Megan has her head down, leaning on Annie, and she's heaving like she's crying. When she stands up, we see that she's actually laughing, and she confesses to Annie that she put an unlicensed handgun in her brother's carry on. It's just the way she does it, with the crying/laughing that kills me.
      Last edited by Lisa; 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM.
      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
        I was underwhelmed by Bridesmaids, I have to be honest. I actually laughed more at Horrible Bosses, but I think a lot is down to expectations.

Bridesmaids has got what it takes to be a great comedy - its just too damn long. Weig and Rudolph are a nice pairing and their banter feels genuine. Same goes for Weig's chemistry with O'Dowd. But the whole thing just goes on for a good 20-30 minutes more than it can sustain itself. I also found the bridal shop scenes and the bit when Weig wigs out and smashes the giant cookie a little too 'easy', though I'll allow Rudolph squatting in the middle of the road, waving the traffic on is damn funny.

I imagine it plays great with an audience, though. Maybe I should have seen it with an audience.
        all of this, but mostly that.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Comedies of 2011 That I Have Seen in Order of Greatness
          Crazy, Stupid, Love.
          Horrible Bosses
          Bridesmaids
          The Hangover Part II
          Our Idiot Brother
          The Change-Up
          30:Minutes or Less

Comedies of 2011 I Have Not Seen In Order of Desire To See
          The Artist
          Goon
          50/50
          The Muppets
          Carnage
          Kung Fu Panda 2
          Rango
          The Guard
          Win Win
          A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas
          Paul
          Rio
          The Rum Diary
          Fright Night
          Terri
          Take Me Home Tonight
          Just Go with It
          The Green Hornet
          Bad Teacher
          The Big Year
          Your Highness
          What's Your Number?
          The Sitter

Comment

• Kill List

I'd like to say go in blind, but the trailer for this is actually gonna do a better job of telling you if this is the sort of film for you than I will. What I will say is, if you liked Dead Man's Shoes and can handle the occasional bit of ultraviolence, this is fucking spectacular. I don't want to mention the third act at all, but act one is largely a domestic drama between two British hitmen friends and their partners; act two is an incredibly brutal crime flick, imbued with the naturalistic approach established since the beginning. And from there, you should definitely stay blind.

Fantastic performances, a tight script and brilliantly judged editing and tonal shifts throughout. This won't be for everyone, but if you can handle the material, this is about as good as British cinema gets for me.
            Last edited by Ben Thomas; 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM.
            I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Tucker and Dale vs Evil is on Instant and it is glorious.

Comment

• Originally posted by PHEDG View Post
                Comedies of 2011 That I Have Seen in Order of Greatness
                Crazy, Stupid, Love.
                Horrible Bosses
                Bridesmaids
                The Hangover Part II
                Our Idiot Brother
                The Change-Up
                30:Minutes or Less

Comedies of 2011 I Have Not Seen In Order of Desire To See
                The Artist
                Goon
                50/50
                The Muppets
                Carnage
                Kung Fu Panda 2
                Rango
                The Guard
                Win Win
                A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas
                Paul
                Rio
                The Rum Diary
                Fright Night
                Terri
                Take Me Home Tonight
                Just Go with It
                The Green Hornet
                Bad Teacher
                The Big Year
                Your Highness
                What's Your Number?
                The Sitter
                I saw most of the comedies you did. Was not impressed with any of them. Bad Teacher, either. No idea why. Maybe I work too much to have a funny bone any more.

The Muppets was all right, but not a "comedy" per se. I consider the Muppet movies a genre of their own. Or maybe they just fit in the "nostalgia" category for me. I thought Kirsten Wiig was better in "Paul" than she was in "Bridesmaids" by far.

Comment

• Goon? Ugh....
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    Goon? Ugh....
                    MarTEEN, sometimes I question your Canadian-ness.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I love hockey, but that movie is about the useless fights in it.

Comment

• I'll sit that one out, buy some Molson, and watch Slap Shot for the five billionth time instead.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          I love hockey, but that movie is about the useless fights in it.
                          Useless? Oh MarTEEN.
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncow Gus View Post
                            I'll sit that one out, buy some Molson, and watch Slap Shot for the five billionth time instead.
                            Slap Shot is only good in that crude Quebec-translated version.

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                            Useless? Oh MarTEEN.
                            Yup. It brings nothing to the game. Having played it for years, I can vouch for that.

Comment

• That's one perspective. And I'm sure there are people who have played on both sides of the argument. Besides, it's a movie not a documentary. But to each their own.

Comment

• The movie might be fun, but most people who played the game don't quite like fights. They're only useful if the reffering is deficient. If so, then yes, the enforcer is needed, but if you don't see fights in footbal, basketball, baseball and soccer, there is no need to fight. The goal of the game is puck ------> net. There is no fights ever mentionned in the rulebook. It became accepted, due to an abberation. I like contact in hockey, but fights and headshots? No fucking way. Most goons have severe problems afterward, and most are pill addicts (3 ex-goons killed themselves last summer...), due to the high pressure of having to fight and not play hockey.

derail/over

Comment

Working...
                                X