No announcement yet.

What'cha watchin' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still that guy who enjoyed True Detective but didn't think it was AMAZING. It was good.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I'll never need to watch it again.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Is it a super slow type of series?
        It's a slow, deliberate character piece and it's the best filmed anything I've seen since the end of Breaking Bad. I can't wait to watch it again and take it all in. A tip, to disarm some of the Internet hyperbole- don't go in expecting crazy twists and wackadoo red herrings with the actual case. The show is about the characters, not the investigation.

And, oh boy, "say my name" was badass but you haven't seen anything yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
          . A tip, to disarm some of the Internet hyperbole- don't go in expecting crazy twists and wackadoo red herrings with the actual case. The show is about the characters, not the investigation.
          This right here is all you need to know. It's not why I wasn't a huge fan, but I wish I would have known that prior to watching. The first 3-4 episodes are slllllooooowwwwww (good, but still slow) and since there are only 8 episode there is a lot to cover.

Comment

• ok, good to know.
            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Basically, try not to care about the case and you'll be fine. Which is why I wasn't a huge fan. And it's why I prefer Hannibal and yes I know they are two different beasts but there were a lot of similarities between the two.

Comment

• It's methodical. Not slow. It's only 8 episodes, and there is little fat to the show.

Comment

• If anything, it reminded a bit of Top of the Lake as far as character and the pacing were concerned.
                  Last edited by Captain Russ; 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM. Reason: Reasons.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                    I'm still that guy who enjoyed True Detective but didn't think it was AMAZING. It was good.
                    Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                    I'll never need to watch it again.
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• It's true. There's no hidden meaning, no subtext, nothing that warrants another viewing EXCEPT for those tits in episode 2 (I think?) and the amazing fucking long shot in the projects. I never said it sucked. I just said it was good, not great. It's like I took a dump in the Rock's mouth or something everytime I say that in regards to TD.

Comment

• Well, that's kinda bullshit.

The meaning is there, though it isn't as hidden as some stupid Shamalamadingdong plot-juggling assclown at the typewriter would have spun on network television. It's not the sort of cheap dime-store meaning you'd find by solving some ridiculous cypher or something ("Drink more Ovaltine"), but it's there.

There is also subtext.

You take away from the show what time does to certain people, what an event can do to someone, what a person can become at their worst or at their best. Then there's the creeping corruption of one's soul, wonderfully shown in the character choices of Hart and Cohle, as well as in Errol and the surrounding sickness that birthed him. The corruption is not just felt here, it is seen in the landscape. The rot is on everything. Everything is broken down, decaying; morally, physically, socially, intellectually, and spiritually.

To say there isn't anything to take away from it is disingenuous at best.
                        Last edited by Captain Russ; 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Rob it's great, you're wrong, and also dat ass on Marty's second tramp.
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                            Well, that's kinda bullshit.

The meaning is there, though it isn't as hidden as some stupid Shamalamadingdong plot-juggling assclown at the typewriter would have spun on network television. It's not the sort of cheap dime-store meaning you'd find by solving some ridiculous cypher or something ("Drink more Ovaltine"), but it's there.

There is also subtext.

You take away from the show what time does to certain people, what an event can do to someone, what a person can become at their worst or at their best. Then there's the creeping corruption of one's soul, wonderfully shown in the character choices of Hart and Cohle, as well as in Errol and the surrounding sickness that birthed him. The corruption is not just felt here, it is seen in the landscape. The rot is on everything. Everything is broken down, decaying; morally, physically, socially, intellectually, and spiritually.

To say there isn't anything to take away from it is disingenuous at best.
                            Ok, I was going to edit my original post but you already replied to it.

You're right, that was wrong of me to say. What I should I have said is that one viewing of the series is more than enough to get what it was trying to go for and while you can look for the deeper meanings as Russ pointed out, there isn't a need to in my opinion. You got your closure at the end of the series which I actually enjoyed. I feel as if I'm unable to articulate exactly what my problem is with the show past "meh, it was okay".

It just wasn't what I was expecting (that's on me but the fucking director is part to blame with his bullshit framing and shots that didn't mean dick in the end) and I'm cool with that. I'm looking forward to the next season and hope that it keeps up the awesomeness for those of you that loved it.

Comment

• Last four Tuesdays I've been watching "Rizzoli & Isles" winter episodes. The season finale was last night and no new episodes till the summer.

Recap is Rizzoli's dad has cancer, Rizzoli's boyfriend asked him to marry her, Dr. Isles had a falling out with Det. Frost (Lee Thompson Young), Rizzoli's brother Tommy started to drink again, her other brother has a crush on Dr. Isles, Rizzoli may be pregnant and Lee Thompson Young's character is "on vacation".
                              Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs!

Comment

• @Abe:

It's cool esé. Expectation and hype has ruined so many things for so many people that it's best to just go in as willfully ignorant as possible.

Also, the director didn't do anything beyond add to the narrative by having visual motifs to help guide the viewer through the story. They weren't easter eggs. This was not an easter egg hunt. He MADE that show visually interesting.
                                Last edited by Captain Russ; 03-19-2014, 04:59 PM.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X