No announcement yet.

4k/UHD/OLED/STDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now I'm reading that OLED has burn in and image retention issues.

ugh. I miss just being able to go buy a tv based on size alone.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Never had any burn in issues on mine. From what I understand, burn in only happens for people who play games for hours on end and never do anything else. Even then, the new batch of OLEDs are supposed to be even better at fighting burn in.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
        What's the difference between HDR and Dolby Vision? I thought it was one or the other, not both?

This shit is still super confusing. How would one know if the HDMI ports do 4k/HDR or not looking online? I'm not seeing any indication on this so far.

Dolby Vision is HDR, but it's HDR with clearer picture definition and actual metadata going into the image. It requires a specific processor in the monitor or projector. However, it produces a better film and television image.

The catch is, HDR proper tends to look better with gaming for different reasons.

HDR proper is open format, which means that video game systems and software can toy with the format and find new ways to make it work for their product. The sky is the limit for retooling and making games pop. That's a benefit that gaming gets in HDR that isn't available for film.

Dolby Vision is 12 bit
        HDR proper pushes to hit 10 bit.

If you're mainly concerned with TV and Movies, go Dolby Vision. Gaming? Go straight HDR.

Dolby Vision stuff is always going to be a little more expensive, as Dolby makes companies license their shit.

So, make your choice off that.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Do you guys have a full surround setup or soundbar?

At the moment I have a 15 year old Sony receiver set up that isn't really cut out for all of the devices I have but it does have 2 digital optical audio outputs (which is what I use for my audio in both xbox/apple tv) but in looking at the new 4k apple tv it no longer has this output and only uses the HDMI port to do both.

Now it's seeming like I'll need not only a new tv, but a new sound setup.

I have an Atmos setup. I have never taken the volume above 40 out of 100.

I had to take my gaming stuff off of the theater setup due to the noise. On the Vizio, I keep gaming at Level 20-25 out of 100.
          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

now I'm reading that OLED has burn in and image retention issues.

ugh. I miss just being able to go buy a tv based on size alone.
            My understanding is it's minimal and does a good job of "self repair" on any burn in. I was staring at it at Costco this morning. So fucking gorgeous. It was next to a Samsung QLED and there was no comparison.

As for sound, I have an old cheap sound bar from I think Vizio that's like 7 years old. It's totally fine, and does the job. My understanding is sound bars are WAY better now, so I should consider looking into a new bar soon.

Comment

Currently looking at purchasing this OLED model.
              https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...B0EY4EDB08JK64

What say you AV nerds? Trying to keep it under 2k as I'm going to try to purchase a new soundbar (even though the audio nerd in me is still on the fence since it's not TRUE 5.1/7.1)
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

We have an OLED and we couldn't be happier with it. Just fantastic. We have a soundbar for it as well and it rocks.
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

By chance do you know what sound bar model you have?

Comment

It's an LG soundbar. Taking a look at Best Buy, they don't carry our model anymore (it's 2 years old, after all). Ours has the sub-woofer and works great.

Comment

Does the fake surround work well? Currently have a5.1 setup with speakers behind our couch and I'm curious as to how well its faked

Comment

Don't know. All I know is it sounds great for my needs.

Comment

I guess my question is do you believe sounds are coming from behind you in scenes where that is the intended effect like war movies or whatever

Comment

My wife hates it LOUD so we never crank it up. I don't feel like it's uber surround or anything but it's absolutely crystal clear with a lot of precision to it.

Comment

And dialog is good even with quiet scenes and shit? Sorry for all the questions, no one I know has one lol and reviews can only be trusted so much

Comment

I'm not crazy over LG (dead pixels) and the OLED thing has never got me fired up.

Thumb around and look for something similar to a different company. I can't stress how guaranteed it is that the LG will have an issue in 12-24 months. Most of their models have an 80% fail rate anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X