No announcement yet.

Beer. Beer. And more beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night, as I smoked a Padilla Obsidian (Review in the Cigar thread), I drank 1st a Stone Smoked Porter, then a Stone Supremely Self Righteous Ale (both 22 0z.).

Ho. Lee. Shit.

BOTH of these were Goddam delicious! The Smoked Porter was probably just a bit better, IMO. It had, as the name implies, smoky notes to it. But they were far from overwhelming. They didn't even really take center stage. Notes of dark chocolate and subdued coffee accentuated the smokiness very nicely indeed. It had a nice mid-level bitterness, balanced by a the chocolate's sweetness on the finish. The bottle said the finish had notes of licorice & dried fruits. I didn't sense any dried fruit, but the licorice was there at the back of the palate. I hate licorice as a rule, but this was so subtly present on the finish that it added to raher than detracted from the experience.

The Supremely Self Righteous was also extremely good. It starts out with a nice level of sweetness, but it's countered by the hops before it can cloy your palate. Very, very smooth, almost creamy. This was originally released as one of their anniversary beers, but they brought it back in this new incarnation by popular demand. I am DAMNED glad they did. I think, given how well these, the Ruination IPA, & the standard IPA have done, they may be eclipsing Troegs as my favorite craft brewery. Seriously, TRY THE SMOKED PORTER!
    Last edited by IggytheBorg; 09-25-2010, 06:48 PM.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Had four Breckinridge beers last night. Autumn Ale, Lucky You IPA, 471 ESB (last batch they are ever making) and the Oatmeal Stout. Only one I liked at all was the Autumn Ale. I've never liked IPAs at all, so I knew that was a wash. The Oatmeal Stout at least paired with the dessert well, but I would never pick it up myself.

I saw a Breckinridge Vanilla Porter today at the store. Anyone tried it? The vanilla intrigues me.

Comment

• FUCK YES. I found a place around me that sells Mirror Pond. YUM FUCKING YUM.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Drank some Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA's last night. These were very good. They have a strong, fruity sweetness to them, as do all Belgian style beers. BUt it's not nearly as cloying as some dubbels or tripels can get, because somehow they combined the best features of a sweet Belgian beer with the hoppy bitterness of an IPA. They balance each other out pretty nicely for the most part, but the sweetness can get a tad cloying, as it hits you on the finish, after the bitterness passes your palate by. By the 3d one (they're 8.9% ABV), you don't really care anymore. Not the best beer I've had by these guys, but because of its best-of-both-worlds hybrid style, perhaps their most interesting.
          Last edited by IggytheBorg; 10-01-2010, 10:45 PM.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Brought the laptop out to the yard with me while I smoke a Graycliff Crystal and drink one each of the 4 brews in a Magic Hat "Night of the Living Dead" Autumn sampler pack. 1st to fall was the '10 Autumn Seasonal, Odd Notion. Very disappointing. I ate lunch in a KFC Thursday afternoon, and the soda machine was spitting out drinks that were almost all carbonated water w/o syrup to speak of. This stuff tastes EXACTLY like that. Seltzer water, w/ no appreciable nuances at all. Failsauce of the 1st water.
            Last edited by IggytheBorg; 10-01-2010, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Next to met its maker was a Hex Oktoberfest. Much better. Caramel, malty sweetness just slightly overpowered by hop bitterness, with a little smoke on the finish. I'm generally not crazy about Oktoberfests, but this one ain't half bad.

Comment

• And last but not lesadt was HIPA. As the name implies, it's an IPA. Very strongly hopped, with a forceful but graceful & never overwhelming hops character. Not as well balanced as, say a Stone Ruination, but if you're in the mood for a bitter beer, this one answers the call nicely. Quite possibly the best enrtry in this Magic Hat variety pack.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure Martin already mentioned this. But what's the word on Unibroue's Trois Pistoles?

A local hole in the wall joint has this beer on tap. And yes, I'm aware it's got a high alcohol content. (9%)
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• haha, you're gonna get retarded.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• *shrug*

Comment

• St. Arnold's is brewing Christmas Ale RIGHT NOW!

Comment

• To where ever the St. Arnold's brewery is located!

*Batman Theme*

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                            St. Arnold's is brewing Christmas Ale RIGHT NOW!
                            I'm just waiting for New Belgium's 2 Below....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                              To where ever the St. Arnold's brewery is located!

*Batman Theme*
                              Lyons Avenue mang. We can pick you up a tranny hooker if we stick around until sundown.

EDIT: Also love

Comment

• Sensational

Comment

Working...
                                X