No announcement yet.

World Cup South Africa- SPOILER TAG OUTCOMES PLZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, there ya go. We learned something today.

Thanks, Jeff
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Fuck I hope Ze Germans make it to the finals.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
        There's also the (ridiculous) argument that video replay technology shouldn't be introduced unless it will be implemented at all levels of the game. An argument that, effectively, argues that a Sunday League match or Portmuck Rovers Vs. FC Shamrock Surprise is as important as a Champions League or World Cup Quarter Final.

It's a lousy excuse that tries to disguise the financial concerns bound up with the issue.

It's also been suggested that video replays would "disrupt" the flow of the game. Considering how most every channel can pull up footage and get a definite, correct answer on most every situation within moments, I fail to see the validity of that concern, too.

This kind of stuff was all hashed out again after the Henry handball debacle against Ireland and now it's hotting up because England were involved.
        1. Immediately take all non-goal related decisions off the table for review in the midst of games.

That means the referees would maintain complete discretion to call fouls on the field and to issue penalty cards as they see fit on any plays that do not lead to goals. Examining, for instance, who the ball went off and whether a goal kick or a corner kick should be rewarded would remain entirely at the discretion of the referees.

Errors in these details, while unfortunate, would remain a part of the game. This would not be a system that would micromanage officiating.

Indeed, it would eliminate the need for replay in all but the most important of moments, that is when goals are scored. For 99% of soccer play there would be no stoppage for review.

2. Review every goal in real time.

The technology exists to make the entire goal light up as a ball crosses the line just as the goal lights up in the NHL when a puck enters the net. With chips in the soccer ball, the referee could see the goal light up the moment the ball passed the line and instant replay officials would immediately begin reviewing the footage even as the celebration continued.

For most goals, mere seconds would be all that was necessary.

Determining a goal in the NHL is much more difficult than determining a goal in soccer, yet the NHL manages to implement its system just about flawlessly.

Using instant replay would have taken about ten seconds for England to be awarded the goal against Germany.

In my opinion, offside calls that negate goals should also be included in this review.

Why?

Because with HD television all of us can see the shading mechanism on the field that demonstrates whether a player was on or offside before a goal was scored. Using this format wouldn't have kept the United States third goal against Slovenia on the board -- which was waved off via a discretionary penalty call -- but it would have allowed Clint Dempsey's first half goal against Algeria.

Again, the trigger for instant replay review only occurs when the ball enters the net.

At no other time would bit be involved.

3. FIFA already permits wasted time during the game and has a mechanism to allow additional time at the end of halves.

Two minutes or so over the course of a game would be a small price to pay for determining the legitimacy of each goal.

If FIFA is truly concerned about stopping play, why don't they go after flopping and fake injuries aggressively? That adds at least six minutes or so to every match.

Reviewing every goal would add, at most, two minutes to your average soccer game, potentially less.

Isn't that worth it?

Of course it is.

4. FIFA officials would probably welcome the change.

This is the real irony here, allowing replay review often strengthens the public perception of officiating.

How?

Because in super slow-motion HD, as often as we recognize missed calls, we more often than not realize an official made the correct call. We're only talking about a few missed calls here on goals or not-goals that have clouded the perception of the entire tournament.

Think of, for instance, the small percentage of NFL calls that are reversed. Using instant replay in the NFL hasn't demeaned confidence in officials, it's actually increased confidence.

The same would hold true in the World Cup.

What's more, knowing that they won't be castigated for an unintentional error that changes the outcome of a game often allows officials to relax and call a better game than they otherwise would.

My point: Instant replay doesn't undermine officials, it increase their authority.

5. The appearance of corruption is vastly diminished.

Let's be clear here, soccer officiating has a dirty connotation in much of the world. Part of that has to do with the global nature of World Cup officiating, there's a sense that petty feuds and dislikes can lead to borderline calls going against your country. Put it this way, the World Cup makes NBA officiating seem above board.

For an American soccer fan it always seems as if we're getting screwed somehow. Partly, that's fan perception. We tend to see things in the light most favorable to our teams interests. But is there some legitimacy to anti-Americanism in soccer?

I think so.

Putting the most important plays in soccer -- goals -- up for immediate review would go a long way towards cleansing the palate of the taste of corruption.

Ultimately, scoring a goal in the World Cup is one of the rarest feats in all of sports. Amazing skill, tremendous team play, the perfect pass, the glorious shot, everything must coalesce at an instant of full speed fury to manage a goal. That's why the transcendent joy that heralds the scoring of a goal is a moment like no other, you've just managed the most difficult feat in all of team sports.

Doesn't FIFA owe it to soccer fans across the world to make certain that we don't ever lose a single goal that should have counted?

Of course it does.

That's why the World Cup needs instant replay.

Immediately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fej View Post
          Valid points all.

I was just relaying an abridged version of the issues and complaints that have been raised time and again by commentators and pundits on our coverage. The point about referees et al most likely welcoming the change is particularly salient. It's telling that the vast majority of people (fans, celebrity figures etc.) have been calling for this for some time and the only people opposed to it are higher-ups at FIFA.

That changes of this nature haven't already been implemented is an embarrassment for football, particularly because they're small changes which could make a massive difference.
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• In Re: Ronaldo

So far, to quote Tony Blair

"Weak, Weak, Weak."

Comment

• MWAHAHAHAHA

RE: Ronaldo

Go back to sellin' McFly pants, bitchboy. ("You? I don't even know you and I hate'cha guts. I hope all the bad things happen life to you and nobody else but you.")

EL GUAJE IS EL PIMP-O (awesome attacking by "Ethpana" today).
              Last edited by Captain Russ; 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Watching the recap of the other match, I hope Hondo-san doesn't commit Harry Caray.

Also: fuck Paraguay (except cellphoneboobs).
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I'm gonna get up early for the Germany v. Argentina match.

Get your WWII jokes out of you system, starting nao!

Comment

• Smugcloud Wizards vs. The Hitler Youth...

As much as I have enjoyed Maradona's smug smuggery and thumbin' them noses at the haters, I'm afraid the success will make him go back to the cocaine pile.

And they knocked out Mexico (great defending by Heinze BTW).

So I have to root for the übermenscher (Ideally, I want Spain to win it all against Ze Germans, but Brasíl will probably fuck that up too.)

Too many South Americans here as it is and someone needs to go the fuck home.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Maradona is some kind of pimp. Just look at how he dresses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                        Maradona is some kind of pimp. Just look at how he dresses!
                        The mullet is fantastico/the source of his powers.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Argentinians have something going on with their hair. Always been like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                            Maradona is some kind of pimp. Just look at how he dresses!
                            I do like the way he rocks the training gear before a match, before changing into a suit for the game itself. It's a classy touch.
                            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I can't beleive that the rest of the coaching staff dresses exactly the same.

Comment

• You'd better believe it.

And don't...stop...

(steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeef purry)
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X