• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To each his own I guess.
    BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Exactly,

And now back to beating up on the french.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
        Exactly,

And now back to beating up on the french.
        Which, quite frankly, never gets old.

Cheese eating surrender monkeys...

Comment

• No, sir it doesn't.

Plus, the Irish can join us for some freedom fries.

*Blares America Fuck Yeah*

Comment

• I have, Martin. Honestly, it feels too busy. It's probably always gonna be easy for someone from my part of the world to say that, but I imagine I'd enjoy playing hockey or American Football more because watching it becomes an exercise in blue-balling for me since it feels like interruption after interruption. There's little to none of the momentum that can make football so exhilarating, because the structure of the game conspires to stop that... at least, in my experience of the sport.

I always remember watching France's semi-final against Croatia in the 1998 World Cup during my first time in America. ESPN did their darndest to turn it into an American football match.

This throw in... ten seconds into the third minute... brought to you by: Canon! Panasonic! Coca Cola! Are you still there? Are you bored yet? Nice tackle by Lizarazu in this your Mitsubishi/Fujifilm first half!

It was like a scene from a Verhoeven flick... except I didn't want to know more. I'd already learned far more about the game's sponsors than I could have ever wanted. The same could not be said for the game itself or those participating in it.

Basketball is so top-heavy with "action" (scoring) that it actually diminishes the excitement of that happening very quickly. Although, I can still very easily watch it. Hockey is far and away my favourite between it, baseball, basketball, and A.F. I remember agreeing with the guys when we were in Boston that Hockey was the sport most likely to win our love.
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• How does watching rugby compare to American Football?

Comment

• I love you Bobby!!!!!

Comment

• I'm very serious about this, Martin. We watched quite a bit of sports in bars and, as enjoyable as the basketball (and, to a lesser extent, baseball) was, nothing was as engrossing as Hockey.

I need to watch more of it, though, because no team has "picked me" yet. I sense it'll be Canadian team. Don't know why. Just feel it going that way.

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                  Plus, the Irish can join us for some freedom fries.
                  Don't mind if I do...

E.T.A. Rugby plays like American Football's more accessible brother. Kinda like the Ridge Racer to America's Gran Turismo. A perfect half-way house between football and its U.S. counterpart. Less stoppages in play. Greater excitement and physicality.
                  Last edited by Bobby Bear; 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM.
                  "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Bobby, you picked no better place to be watching hockey. The northeast and upper midwest are hockey towns. Mainly because of it being -30 during the winter.

And watch as Martin will now lobby hard for Bobby to become a Habs fan. Only to be heart broken when he chooses the Senators.

Comment

• The Senators are fine.

Look, the Habs are the ultimate hockey team of all time. Like the NY Yankees I guess.

Most Canadian teams are good to root for, except the Toronto Maple Leafs. Fuck these assholes.

Comment

• And Bobby: 2 good movies about Hockey:

Miracle
                        , with Kurt Russell, and Youngblood, with Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze. 2 staples of the genre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          Most Canadian teams are good to root for, except the Toronto Maple Leafs. Fuck these assholes.
                          Any time your team has the backing of Mike Meyers, it's not a good sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                            Bobby, you picked no better place to be watching hockey. The northeast and upper midwest are hockey towns. Mainly because of it being -30 during the winter.

And watch as Martin will now lobby hard for Bobby to become a Habs fan. Only to be heart broken when he chooses the Senators.
                            I could definitely feel the love for the game, although it kinda played second fiddle at the time to basketball, because the Celtics were riding high in the play-off's.

That would actually be cool if people effectively "pimped" their teams, 'cos it would provide a level of insight into the game you just can't get Here. I still firmly believe that a team has to "pick you", though. Even if it's a team you were born into and brought up as a fan of, you still need to listen to your heart on these matters.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            The Senators are fine.

Look, the Habs are the ultimate hockey team of all time. Like the NY Yankees I guess.

Most Canadian teams are good to root for, except the Toronto Maple Leafs....
                            I do love the fact that, in Hockey, the Habs aren't the greatest team ever... they're the greatest franchise ever. There's probably no neat way of saying this, but stuff like that is so wonderfully alien. It holds a peculiar allure precisely because we just don't do it that way Here.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            And Bobby: 2 good movies about Hockey:

Miracle
                            , with Kurt Russell, and Youngblood, with Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze. 2 staples of the genre.
                            Cheers, Martin! They're added to the list of must-see's which Slap Shot currently sits atop of.

This got me pondering a list of football must-see's. Ultimately, I just want to take this opportunity to dissuade people from seeing Green Street.

Comment

• Green Street was such garbage. Didn't bother finishing it. When I watched what were supposedly hard core hooligans drinking Fosters. I knew it was game over.

Comment

• And this is from someone who drinks Boddington's...

Comment

Working...
                                X