ISSA GOTDAMN WEEKEEEEEND THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
    That. There's nothing wrong with reading them and enjoying them, but once you start internalizing the sexual politics behind what goes on between Bella/Edward/Jacob/Frankenstein and sort of shifting to that extreme fantasy/wish-fulfillment realm, it's time to head for the classical fiction section of your library.

But, unfortunately, there are also quite a few adult women who are easily sucked in to the fantasy here, so I wouldn't tag it as a specifically young/teen girl thing. That being said, the books seem expressly anti-feminist and borderline abuse apologia fodder, which is why I kinda blanch whenever someone talks about seriously being into Meyers' books to the point that they can't look at the whole series with an uncritical eye.
    It was the Frankenstein part I loved, Jake! Ha!

Yeah, I just don't get the grown women freaking out about this stuff (and I know that's not you, Cassini - it sounds to me like you simply enjoyed them without going over the edge like some of the women do). While I think they send a bad message to young girls, I can understand how they can get sucked in - cute boys who are hopelessly in love with a really boring, plain girl - probably not too different from themselves.

But grown women? What is there about these movies and books to freak out about? It's teen fiction. Plus, it's not even a good vampire story. Again, the teenage girls - okay, I get it. They don't want the blood and gore; they want the sparkly vampires. But I defy any grown woman to sit down and read "Salem's Lot" and then come back and tell me that "Twilight" is a better book. Read the part where Jimmy Cody and Mark Petrie drag newly-vamped out Roy McDougall into the sunlight if they want to read something so fucking scary that they'll remember that passage in the book for years to come - because I promise you, that guy did NOT sparkle! Now, that's a vampire novel.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
      It was the Frankenstein part I loved, Jake! Ha!

Yeah, I just don't get the grown women freaking out about this stuff (and I know that's not you, Cassini - it sounds to me like you simply enjoyed them without going over the edge like some of the women do). While I think they send a bad message to young girls, I can understand how they can get sucked in - cute boys who are hopelessly in love with a really boring, plain girl - probably not too different from themselves.

But grown women? What is there about these movies and books to freak out about? It's teen fiction. Plus, it's not even a good vampire story. Again, the teenage girls - okay, I get it. They don't want the blood and gore; they want the sparkly vampires. But I defy any grown woman to sit down and read "Salem's Lot" and then come back and tell me that "Twilight" is a better book. Read the part where Jimmy Cody and Mark Petrie drag newly-vamped out Roy McDougall into the sunlight if they want to read something so fucking scary that they'll remember that passage in the book for years to come - because I promise you, that guy did NOT sparkle! Now, that's a vampire novel.
      To be entirely fair, there are grown women who are really, really, really, disturbingly into Phantom of the Opera, too (I used to work with one and holy shit was she an interesting person), so there's no shortage of bizarrely predatory stuff that a lot of women like (and dudes buy into this whole scheme too so I'm not trying to white-knight anybody here).
      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Yeah, I know - but I still just don't get it. Different strokes, I suppose.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

• Way different strokes. BITCHES BE CRAZY and all that, nahmean?
          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~

Comment

• I feel like Andrea Robo-Dworkin is going to kick down the door and tear my dick off and throw it at me for that last post I'm sorry ladies you know I got nothin' but love for ya

~

Comment

• Hater!

(*Crochets Jake's shredded masculinity into a homespun little bookmark for "Salem's Lot"*)

Comment

• I don't think Rob posted about this - but I dragged him to Home Goods on Sunday. I found some pretty cool stuff - including a very cool ceramic owl. Rob looked pretty bored - I kept asking if he hated me yet.
                If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

• I think he mentioned it in passing on Facebook. Damning them for their cheap jelly beans.
                  We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                  - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Lesley View Post
                    I don't think Rob posted about this - but I dragged him to Home Goods on Sunday. I found some pretty cool stuff - including a very cool ceramic owl. Rob looked pretty bored - I kept asking if he hated me yet.
                    I can top that - imagine big ol' 6'3" George wandering helplessly around Sephora while I picked up a present for my best friend. Normally, he waits outside during stuff like that, but since I knew exactly what I wanted to get her, he came in and proceeded to aimlessly roam the aisles like a giant kid lost at the mall.

Comment

• Whenever Rob and I go to the mall together he tells me to not worry about him if I want to go to DSW and stuff. But I really want to take my time in stores like that - and I feel like I'm dragging him through hell (even though he says it's fine).
                      If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lesley View Post
                        Whenever Rob and I go to the mall together he tells me to not worry about him if I want to go to DSW and stuff. But I really want to take my time in stores like that - and I feel like I'm dragging him through hell (even though he says it's fine).
                        Maybe I should always bring him shopping because then I wouldn't buy as much.... hmmmmmms

Comment

• That's true - I've been pretty good about curbing my shopping in the past few years anyway, but it does help when you feel slightly guilty about dragging them into the girlier stores.

Comment

• If we are going for a set purpose, and not just aimless shopping, is the only time my girlfriend and I go to the mall or other such establishments together. I don't want to spend 4 hours waiting on her to find jeans, and she doesn't want to spend 2 hours waiting on me to finish digging through old SNES cartridges. The places we tend to wander together are Best Buy, book store, and the comic/toy shop. Other than that we let the other go shopping solo.

Comment

• You must still take Rob shopping with you when you shop for flip-flops. Make sure the shopping trip takes 4 hours and that you try EVERY pair.
                              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                              - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard View Post
                                You must still take Rob shopping with you when you shop for flip-flops. Make sure the shopping trip takes 4 hours and that you try EVERY pair.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X