Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• netflix

from gizmodo:

Netflix's first streaming box is finally here and it's pretty damn brilliant of a set up. First of all, the box is 99 bucks, and designed by Roku. It's fanless and quiet; has HDMI and optical outputs; and is about the size of 5 CD cases stacked together. Any Netflix disc mailing plan over $9 gets you unlimited streaming of almost 10,000 titles. Unlimited! 10K titles! Take that Apple TV and VuDu!
    more here:

flat rate fee + future hd streaming + firmware updateable + unlimited views as long as you're a netflix customer = FUCKING AWESOME.

anyone still want to argue that hd streaming/downloads won't go anywhere?
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Re: netflix

Except that their on demand movies aren't HD? I'm confused. So they will upscale them I presume? And what about the PS3 and 360 update that will allow the same thing?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

hdmi output right now is 480p with bit rate of 500kps to 2.2mbps but it'll be upgraded to hd with 4-5mbps in the future. so the answer is no, not yet. i'm not sure about the ps3 and 360 yet though. if they offer it on the consoles, even better. that way i don't have to spend that extra $100 to watch movies whenever i want. although netflix on the 360 would seem a little redundant, since microsoft already offers on demand viewing at their own pricing...

Comment

Oh it's coming, it was leaked a few weeks ago. There were screen shots. Which is why this box is redundant. Especially since I have HDMI inputs and outputs on tv, reciever, 360 and ps3.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

the only issue i have is, the plans haven't been laid out for the general public for the ps3 or the 360 and the box set has. if it's the same deal, then awesome. if not, then i'm going with their set.

Comment

And I'll be laughing at you when I have one less component in my setup and it does the exact same thing.

Or the PS3 one will get canned and you'll be laughing at me.

Comment

here's the issue i see with both consoles:

360 - as i stated above, microsoft already has their own streaming media set at their prices. since they've been pushing this from the very beginning, it wouldn't make sense for them to partner with another company with the differences in price. especially, if microsoft's stubbornness to agree on pricing and their piece of the pie makes an appearance (which usually happens... see goldeneye for xbla or map packs).

ps3 - sony on the other hand has been pushing for blu-ray from the very beginning and their major opponents are of old and new tech, dvd and hd downloads. sure the set doesn't offer hd streaming yet, but it's stated that it will be offered. i know sony will offer downloadable media that might or might not be drm-free to use between their ps3 and psp; but if it is, that would mean they stand more of a chance to make more money than to combine forces with netflix.

Comment

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/11/n...x-360-and-ps3/

While it's a rumor, there were leaked screenshots a while back. I'll hold off to pay 3 bucks as opposed to 100. Plus, there isn't many good titles able to be streamed that would make that 100 set worth it IMO. I ususally only watch tv shows on there and docs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  And I'll be laughing at you when I have one less component in my setup and it does the exact same thing.

Or the PS3 one will get canned and you'll be laughing at me.
                  nah. i would be glad if this was available for the ps3. the 360's blades are annoying and i was just stating that hd downloads are the future. soon, no one will care about having discs. less room, and on demand videos of huge libaries is where it's at.

Comment

Except for the stupid DRM bs. I'm telling you, streaming HD movies is not the way of the future (until they figure out the logistics) Downloading Hot Rod in HD took forever. When I wanted to watch it now! I give it at least 5+ years no matter what MS has to say.

I'd rather have a physical copy. And Joe Consumer would too.

Comment

Wordd
                      Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                        Downloading Hot Rod in HD took forever. When I wanted to watch it now!
                        Hehehehehahahahahahohohohoho!!!!!!!!!
                        Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                        John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

I took my kids to see Hot Rod at a drive-in....epic loaf
                          Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                            Except for the stupid DRM bs. I'm telling you, streaming HD movies is not the way of the future (until they figure out the logistics) Downloading Hot Rod in HD took forever. When I wanted to watch it now! I give it at least 5+ years no matter what MS has to say.

I'd rather have a physical copy. And Joe Consumer would too.
                            drm will always be standard. especially if movie studios want their extra buck. and you said downloading. not streaming. and that depends on your internet doesn't it? i can stream and download anything fast... too bad my computers don't work. and joe consumer also downloads music, whether it's pirated or from itunes. the market is starting to curve towards easily accessable media. especially if means renting/buying a digital copy of a movie instead of going down and renting or buying it from a store.

While it's a rumor, there were leaked screenshots a while back. I'll hold off to pay 3 bucks as opposed to 100. Plus, there isn't many good titles able to be streamed that would make that 100 set worth it IMO. I ususally only watch tv shows on there and docs.
                            kidding me right? ten thousand titles not enough for you? 10k worth of tv episodes and movies. i'm sure you'd find something you'd want to watch...

and while i believe hd downloads/stream is in consumers' future (albeit not immediate) this is a step towards that. and netflix states that the available titles are there to supplement their libary of dvds.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus

drm will always be standard. especially if movie studios want their extra buck. and you said downloading. not streaming. and that depends on your internet doesn't it? i can stream and download anything fast... too bad my computers don't work. and joe consumer also downloads music, whether it's pirated or from itunes. the market is starting to curve towards easily accessable media. especially if means renting/buying a digital copy of a movie instead of going down and renting or buying it from a store.

kidding me right? ten thousand titles not enough for you? 10k worth of tv episodes and movies. i'm sure you'd find something you'd want to watch...
                              Have you gotten an HD movie from the 360 yet? It takes forever before you can start streaming that, especially if it's a busy time. . Now let's suppose this BS about COMCAST throttling people and whatnot...Good luck getting HD content in a timely manner. Plus the whole storage issue (when not talking about just streaming) could be an issue. Yes I realize that hard drives are coming down in price, but honestly, if I'm spending 30 bucks to either Download a Blu ray or buy one, I'm going to buy one. You never know when the data could get corrupted or the HD die. Plus who the fuck wants to pay 4 bucks to rent an HD movie that takes up 5 gigs of space and can only be watched in like 24 hours? We did....once...and never again. Fuck that. At least if I rent from Netflix or *shudder* Blockbuster I can watch them on my own time, and take breaks if I want.

As for Netflix, I've gone through almost every flick on there, while yes there are some good ones, there is alot of fucking shit. And I mean alot. It's still awesome that you get the free hours with your subscription, all I'm saying is that fuck Digital Downloads. I'll always want either a physical copy or at least the option to re-download something if I paid for it. And alot of the time, that ain't happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X