Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherlock Holmes. Well, most of it. Surprisingly good. Jude Law and Downey were great together.
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
      It's actually the official name everywhere BUT the USA!
      Interesting! I wonder why they felt the need to change the title to something so close to the original? We're not talking about a Pirate Radio/The Boat that Rocked difference here, after all.
      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Some kind of copyright or trademark issue or something like that caused the Dead Alive/Braindead change.

EDIT: I've got a great "kick ass for the lord" gif stored on my external. Need to dig that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
          Some kind of copyright or trademark issue or something like that caused the Dead Alive/Braindead change.
          Thanks, Billy. Something to do with the Paxton/Pullman Brain Dead, maybe?
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Super.

Rainn Wilson is outstanding as Frank, especially as he prays for that one good thing to come back into his shitty life.

The shockingly violent ends of the Crimson Bolt's first few "villains" are so gruesome and so extreme in their punishment of slightly dickish infractions that the "OH SHIT" reaction becomes almost second nature while watching the wrenchings.

Actually, the abruptness of violent shock moments extends to other incidents not directly associated with Frank/Crimson Bolt, but it remains absolutely potent throughout the entire runtime, not once losing the severity of the impact. Gunn somehow accomplished this feat, and I am incredibly impressed he made it seem so effortless in the execution(s).

Ellen Page as Libby/Boltie is also fantastic. Her introduction already lends itself to highlighting the character as being off-kilter, but only when she takes Frank in does the psychoses really start to unfurl. And through it all, Page makes it fun to watch. She plays a perfect unhinged and manic sidekick to Wilson's tragically flawed Frank, which makes the last act even more fucked up.

So really, a mix of the typical jolts of the seriously fucked up mixed with dark humor from Gunn is on display, and here he's incorporated heart into his bag of tricks. As ugly as the villains are, and how black the movie gets, you still root for the deranged but well-intentioned vigilante to succeed. And in the end, the character ends up in an unexpectedly real place. And it is there that the film really earns its title.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and you probably will too.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Good to hear Russ.
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Not a movie, but I DID watch that 'Fight for your Right Revisited' thing, starring Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, and Elijah Wood as the Beastie Boys. It's a 29 minute short film that shows what happens AFTER the events of the 'Fight for your Right to Party' music video from the 80s.

I watched the unedited version of it. Just curious...is there a version of it out there that is funny? It had its moments here and there (Chloe Sevigny stabbing Elijah Wood made me chuckle) but most of it is just flat and draggy. You could have edited 15 minutes out of this easily. I thought that it MIGHT kick into gear when 'future' versions of themselves show up (Will Ferrell, John C Reilly, and Jack Black), but no...they get into a weak dance competition that ends with them pissing on each other.

Really, really weak stuff. The idea is much better than the execution.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I saw a lot of the clips, and they were pretty great, but yeah...I haven't watched the full version because it doesn't seem like a 30 minute concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                    I saw a lot of the clips, and they were pretty great, but yeah...I haven't watched the full version because it doesn't seem like a 30 minute concept.
                    See, I never saw any of the clips, but I'd have to believe that they showed EVERYTHING good in them. They stretched out 3 minutes worth of material into a Bataan Death March of unfunny proportions.
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                      Super.

The shockingly violent ends of the Crimson Bolt's first few "villains" are so gruesome and so extreme in their punishment of slightly dickish infractions that the "OH SHIT" reaction becomes almost second nature while watching the wrenchings.
                      Correction: the pedo totally deserved the fucking wrenching.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Wrenching and wenching: not the same thing.
                        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• 'Going the Distance'. Standard rom-com elevated by Jason Sudekis, Charlie Day and Justin Long. Was about 30 mins too long and I basically called the ending within the first 15 mins (not hard to do with rom-coms) but I did laugh pretty hard at parts.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            Wrenching and wenching: not the same thing.
                            In this case, the two are closely associated.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Breaker! Breaker! on IFC this morning - a young, pre-mustache Chuck Norris laying the smack down on the corrupt Texas City (city in the loosest terms imaginable - damn place looked like it was shot on a backlot, and probably was), and most of it's citizens, led by the corrupt judge.

Since this was shot in the late 70's the action was very weak by comparison to later Norris flicks, and the film itself looks like a product of it's era (shot on filmstock, and it shows). Not much in the way of changing camera angles to enhance confrontations, and the whole feel reminded me of Bill Hicks' routine about using terminally ill people as stuntmen ("Is that my grandma?" "Quiet, get off the set! ACTION! Push her towards Chuck!"). Were this late 80's or early 90's, it'd be Steven Seagal snapping bones and tearing arms out of sockets. And there'd be more explosions, too.

It was OK, far from Chuck's best, which would kick in with his next pic Good Guys Wear Black, and the arrival of his mighty mustache.

Comment

• 'The Other Guys'.

Eh, it was OK. It certainly had its moments but it was pretty inconsistent. I think my main issue was with Mark Wahlberg: he just doesn't have any sense of comic timing.

I DID like it better than 'Talledega Nights', though.

Comment

Working...
                                X