Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Titan A.E., Alpha Dog (again), and an hour and a half or so of Shooter (that felt longer) over the weekend.

Titan is something I've been meaning to see since it came out. There's the germ of a really fun kids' sci-fi cartoon in there, but too much of it just felt like Whedon working out some ideas/Star Wars homages in a dress rehearsal for Firefly. Although I do like the fact that it's the only movie I know which puts Nathan Lane as a sly alien space pirate together with John Leguizamo as a Yoda-esque frog creature.

The more I see Alpha Dog, the more I like it. It's shot nicely and there's so much talent on screen, often at the same time. Sharon Stone gets a bit O.T.T. at times, but otherwise there isn't a bad performance in the bunch. Emile Hirsch is hilarious as the whitest "gangster" in history and the constant barrage of obscenities cracks me up from start to finish - for I am a goofball. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Shawn Hatosy is billed above Justin Timberlake. How awesome is that?!

Also, Ben Foster.

Lastly, Shooter. Oh, Shooter. You duped me into thinking you were a fun 80's action throwback with your Final Draft first act and cheesy dialog ("You don't understand. These boys killed my dog") then fumbled it into a boring political "thriller." Even the presence of Kate Mara and Rhona Mitra couldn't make me finish it.
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I have many issues with 'Titan A.E.', but I really must commend the film for the simply awesome SHIPS FLYING THROUSH THE ICE CRYSTALS sequence. It's amazingly well done...suspenseful as hell with some incredible visuals and sound effects.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Agreed, Matt. Some of that animation blended with CG stands up well. Shame the Drej were such flat, nondescript Evil Aliens.
        "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
          Shame the Drej were such flat, nondescript Evil Aliens.
          Yep, that was one of the main issues with the story. You don't fear them and you don't care about them. As such, there's really no tension in the story. They kill people and destroy the Earth, but you simply don't care.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Watched 'Dr. Terror's House Of Horror' on Instant last night.

Not a Hammer Films film... but fucking close enough for me!

Good shit...

Comment

• I remember digging the fuck outta Titan. I may have to watch it this week.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                I remember digging the fuck outta Titan. I may have to watch it this week.
                Again, it's not a bad movie, and it has some really strong sequences in it, but it doesn't work as a whole. The 'humor' in it is really quite awful, too. I cringed at the 'planet Bob' thing at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                  Watched 'Dr. Terror's House Of Horror' on Instant last night.

Not a Hammer Films film... but fucking close enough for me!

Good shit...
                  Man, that takes me back - loved those Amicus multi-story flicks, especially The House That Dripped Blood with Ingrid Pitt and Jon Pertwee. Those films were a staple on Saturday mornings when I was a kid.

Comment

• Saw The Lincoln Lawyer yesterday and I have to say it was pretty good. Good to see McConaughy getting out of lazy Rom Coms to actually act for once. While I wasn't crazy about the almost constant close-ups or what happened to Ryan Phillippe's mother. It was a solid movie and it feels like the cast had a good time filming it. The material was really elevated by the casting and pretty good use of the city.
                    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear
                      Lastly, Shooter. Oh, Shooter. You duped me into thinking you were a fun 80's action throwback with your Final Draft first act and cheesy dialog ("You don't understand. These boys killed my dog") then fumbled it into a boring political "thriller." Even the presence of Kate Mara and Rhona Mitra couldn't make me finish it.
                      May I see your man card sir? *takes card and cuts it to bits and burns the remains.*

I was with you till that last bit.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I dig Shooter

I would wade through some horrible sewers for a sniff of Kata Mara though, so take that into account.

Comment

• I enjoy it too but I also realize that the political thriller parts could have been better executed. Just my .02.
                          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                            Saw The Lincoln Lawyer yesterday and I have to say it was pretty good. Good to see McConaughy getting out of lazy Rom Coms to actually act for once. While I wasn't crazy about the almost constant close-ups or what happened to Ryan Phillippe's mother. It was a solid movie and it feels like the cast had a good time filming it. The material was really elevated by the casting and pretty good use of the city.
                            Glad that you liked it. I'm also glad to see that it only dropped something like 17% from the previous week. Good WOM seems to indicate that the film will have some good legs on it. Personally, I'd love to see this film turn into a franchise for McConoughey...I dig on the characters and the actors portraying them.

Comment

• When I recently re-watched the trailer for Shooter, I suddenly realized that the movie (or at least the trailer) is exactly like Machete.

And Matt, funny you should say franchise because there are two other books out right now that feature Mickey Haller: The Brass Verdict and The Reversal
                              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                                And Matt, funny you should say franchise because there are two other books out right now that feature Mickey Haller: The Brass Verdict and The Reversal
                                Awesome to hear! I hope that they get adapted as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X