Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Tim! I enjoyed Shogun so much I was gonna post again to ask for samurai recommendations as it's a genre I'm largely unfamiliar with. There's an interview with Sam Jackson in the set and he mentions The Sword of Doom and Hanzo the Razor. Would you put those on the level of Shogun Assassin? Are there any films gorier than it?
    Regrettably, Bear, I haven't seen either. I will commit seppuku later to atone for my dishonor.

I wholeheartedly, however, recommend The Seven Samurai (natch), the original 26 Zatoichi films, Kurosawa's Yojimbo and the sequel Sanjuro (hell, anything with Toshiro Mifune in it!), The Hidden Fortress, and any of Kinnosuke's turns as Miyamoto Musashi. Though old school, heavier on the drama than the action in some spots, and often B&W, these flicks serve as an excellent basis for samurai cinema. Then, segue to the somewhat more violent and bloody flicks like Sword of Doom, Ran, Lady Snowblood 1 (skip Part 2), etc. I think, however, Shogun Assassin is the tops when it comes to the gore, though.

You can also try to find DVDs or scenes from my favorite Japanese TV show, Abarenbo Shogun. Stars Ken Matsudaira as Yoshimune, the very definition of badass samurai - if Vin was an 18th century shogun, he'd be this guy. Plus, NINJAS!

Comment

• An Irish Samurai? Hmmmm
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
        Well, it was the music that accompanied it. But I was in that neighborhood that day as it was my last of 4th grade and I remember watching the chase with the basketball game playing in the corner on tv.

Plus, the documentary was accompanied with the Knicks/Rockets game, Arnold Palmer's last game, the NY Rangers parade, the beginning of the World Cup and a baseball game between the Mariners and Royals. So many damn things in one day.

I don't know a damn thing about sports but the thing was put together beautifully. So many huge eyeglasses and ugly ties, it was something.
        We should start a "Where's Hocken?" book with famous landmarks and occasions since Hocken's lived near them all or visited them on the day of infamy.

"Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Pirate Radio. Twas good.
          Two things: A) I love that the guy from Pirates of the Caribbean was named 'Twatt'. And 2) Bill Nighy has ridiculously long fingers. And is awesome.
          Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Yea Pirate Radio is more enjoyable that I expected.

Just watched Fellowship of the Ring. Someone still owes Sean Bean his Oscar. I also caught Cirque de Freak the other morning while having breakfast. The movie goes into creepy adult territory so many times that I couldn't help but think about how great it could be if it ditched all the tween shit. Awesome cast in it as well, and Reilly is AMAZING.

Comment

• THE BLIND SIDE- Okay, if I'm being honest I actually liked this. It wasn't the super-pandering treacly "OMG racism iz bad" shit I was expecting. In fact, there really wasn't a lot of preaching at all. Unlike what the trailers led me to believe, the big kid wasn't Simple Jack but just a quiet kid from a super-shitty family. The filming of the football scenes was pretty terrible, though. There's a reason they don't spend a whole lot of time on the field.

Comment

• I really liked "The Blind Side" a lot, Grave. Yah, I boo-hooed at it, like I always do.
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                  YES!! That's my little cyber-brother!

(*EdWoodFist*)
                  (*CyberSiblingFist*)

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                  I dunno, I think I'm the only person in the world who never got into Edward Scissorhands.
                  I never got into Edward Scissorhands either! (Even with the Winona Factorâ„¢ - really saying something in my case.) It was on TV recently and it bored me out of watching it in under five minutes. Winona's "old lady" voice sucks me right out of it.

Tim, thanks a million for the samurai tips! (and please refrain from hara-kiri!) I've already started scouting out various titles.

Ed, I'm totally fancasting myself as the eponymous Irish Samurai in the flick of the same name. Directed by Quentin Tarantino (from a script also by Q.T. and Garth Ennis.) Also starring Topher Grace as a churlish Ronin with whom I establish an uneasy partnership, and Michael Keaton as the evil Shogun we're both gunning for.
                  "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• The collectors edition of Avatar.

Fuck. That opening scene is the shit. Such a better way to start out the movie IMO. Still love the hell outta this flick and the added scenes were pretty great.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      'Knowing'. I get why some people hate it and others love it. If you buy into the Sci-Fi elements of it, it's great. If you just want it to be an 'end of the world' film, those Sci-Fi elements will absolutely kill the movie for you.

Me? It worked. I didn't love it but I admired the fact that the film went the distance for the ending. We're gonna tease the end of the world? No, we're gonna deliver it to you. The effects ranged from being WOW WAS THAT COOL (the plane crash and the ending) to JESUS IS THAT BAD (the subway train wreck), but it all worked. Cage was good for the most part, but he had a few really bad moments (whacking the bat against the tree in a threatening manner, for example) to remind you that yes...he's still the guy who did 'the Wicker Man'.

I dunno, I dug it. I don't ever need to see it again, though.
                      This movie is on par with The Wicker Man, Matt. It's THAT bad.

Anyway, I watched Cop Out last week. Fuck you Kevin Smith.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Knowing is far more entertaining in a good way than The Wicker Man. EASILY.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Wicker Man is hilariously awful at times. It's mostly just frustrating in my view.
                          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Watched 2 films yesterday:
                            1. 'The Book of Eli': I dug it. Not great, but it had a certain level of stylish badassery to it that I really enjoyed. It could have used an edit, though...many parts of it felt really padded out for no other reason than to watch Denzel WALK. and WALK. and WALK SOME MORE. Good fight scenes, though.

2. 'Valkyrie': I really liked it and so did my wife. It's a credit to the film that they succeed in making a story where you know the ending TENSE. I thought that Cruise was fantastic in it...dialed back, commanding, very believable. Everyone in the cast was great, actually. Again, it could have used an edit in certain places to tighten things up and speed them along, especially in the first half.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Inception - Yeah I really enjoyed this as I'm sure others did. Dug Dicaprio and Keanu 2.0 with talent and to a lesser extent Watanabe. Loved the layered dream segment even though my logic and the films logic didn't match up at times. I'd heard about the spinning top at the end so I was kind of spoiled but it still didn't take away from the experience. Pretty badass flick.

The A-Team - Fantastically fun romp. Neeson looked weird as shit with that hair but man this movie was just fucking fun. Rampage did better than I expected and Major Dad is a colossal dick.

Both recommended.
                              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I watched INCEPTION again yesterday and I'm starting to believe Caine's thinking on the final scene. The top starts to wobble pretty good right as it cuts to black. It has me rethinking the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X