Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    Steve Jobs AKA Edging:The Movie

dug it but Noah is still my Steve.

Rogan did surprisingly well.
    The supporting cast killed it. So much so I expect Winslet to pull off an upset next Sunday at the Oscars, and other filmmakers should take a hint and throw more dramatic material Rogen's way. Daniels, Waterston, Stuhlbarg, all firing em out.

But you know, I just didn't buy the change-of-heart at the end, and that isn't on Fassbender (who was fine though... yeah I really wished it had been Bale there instead) but Sorkin's writing.

Jobs, as depicted here, was built up as too big a bastard to suddenly decide to act like a decent human being after spending the first five years of his kid's life denying parentage, letting her and his ex waste away in poverty and and later outright refusing to pay for her college (all of this mere pocket change for him).

When he threatens his ex in the 1988 segment, I said aloud, "Oh, fuck off, asshole!" Too despicable to randomly have moral outrage, something someone should have noted to Boyle, who directed the shit outta this, or Sorkin, probably too stuck up his own ass to care.

That said... the showdown between Fassbender and Daniels in '88? Perfect.
    Originally posted by Ari
    The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Black Mass AKA Behind Blue Eyes

Not terrible but not great. Seemed all over the place. Joel Edgerton did really well, Cumbersnatch was a non entity, Adam Scott is weird with a stache, Depp did okay but I really dug Plemons. Over all was a tad bored though.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
        The supporting cast killed it. So much so I expect Winslet to pull off an upset next Sunday at the Oscars, and other filmmakers should take a hint and throw more dramatic material Rogen's way. Daniels, Waterston, Stuhlbarg, all firing em out.

But you know, I just didn't buy the change-of-heart at the end, and that isn't on Fassbender (who was fine though... yeah I really wished it had been Bale there instead) but Sorkin's writing.

Jobs, as depicted here, was built up as too big a bastard to suddenly decide to act like a decent human being after spending the first five years of his kid's life denying parentage, letting her and his ex waste away in poverty and and later outright refusing to pay for her college (all of this mere pocket change for him).

When he threatens his ex in the 1988 segment, I said aloud, "Oh, fuck off, asshole!" Too despicable to randomly have moral outrage, something someone should have noted to Boyle, who directed the shit outta this, or Sorkin, probably too stuck up his own ass to care.

That said... the showdown between Fassbender and Daniels in '88? Perfect.
        I still think the scene where Woz dressed him down in front of the staff was my favorite part.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• I started 300: Rise of an Empire.

It's not terrible so far. But seeing the Greeks fight like idiots instead of their famed hedgehog (which looked impressive, the 10 seconds they did it in the original) is so bothering me. Nevermind the fact that they still fight half naked to show how good they trained the actors.

Might finish it while cooking.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• It's good, and Eva Green is fantastic in it. It's not quite equal with the first one but I found it to be pretty solid. Once they get on the ocean, it's pretty cool.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• San Andreas. Not a bad disaster movie, what with all the special effects and The Rock and a horribly misused Carla Gugino, and stuff, but cliche as fuck when it comes to the characters. I swear, I could live the rest of my life without seeing yet another haunted ex-military/ex-cop/blue-collar working class, soon to be/already divorced guy who risks his career, life and limb to save his wife/daughter/son/family pet from the onslaught of Armageddon, only to reunite with his Mrs. and reconcile while getting ready to rebuild. It's never a schlub delivering pizzas, or a woman who's the hero in this. I'm getting bored with these kind of films already.

If you've seen 2012, War of the Worlds, The Day After Tomorrow, etc. you've already seen this.

Comment

• Deadpool. Loved it.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Creed. Dug it a bunch but I get why Stallone didn't win. Was a bit slow to get into but the second half was great.

Comment

• I GET WHY YOU DON'T WIN!!!!!!
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• He wasn't bad by any means, but he also wasn't great in my opinion. He did well. Jordan was amazing however.

Comment

• FOCUS- not terrible! I really liked the choreography of the big misdirection scenes. I didn't completely buy the chemistry between Smith and Robbie but the story was entertaining enough. I think the problem with movies like this is that I can't trust anything anyone does or says until the credits roll. This one kept me engaged enough to want to see how it all played out.

Comment

• We liked FOCUS a lot. Had great fun with it.

ZOOTOPIA: Very, very good. A much stronger central plot than I was expecting, and that gave the whole film a gravitas that isn't normally present in these types of films. Some very big laughs to be had.

Worth the trip.
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• High-Rise.

Striking "simple good" production design and this odd feeling throughout leads to the utterly insane last 40 minutes, where the entire building, and every character in the film, loses their mind. I genuinely thought I was stroking out or having a seizure it was so crazy. Most are going to hate this, and I get that.

Very, very good. Maybe even great. I want to see it again, but it needs to settle in for awhile first.
                            Originally posted by Ari
                            The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                              He wasn't bad by any means, but he also wasn't great in my opinion. He did well. Jordan was amazing however.
                              Yeah, I kind of don't get how he didn't get more talk. Not necessarily a nomination worthy performance but yeah, he was legit. I'm really starting to dig his work.

Comment

• QUESTION FOR MATT:

Matt, what is your stance on E.T. AND Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Comment

Working...
                                X