Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I liked PR. I liked Godzilla. Both films could have been much, much better considering the subject matter.

I did like Godzilla a bit more over PR for many of the reasons Rob said, but it absolutely needed more Godzilla onscreen, as I've said before elsewhere.

Comment

• The Last Ham on Rye.

Ed Zwick doesn't get nearly enough appreciation for his efforts in grand epic film-making. They're usually somewhat uneven, but ultimately well crafted Hollywood spectacles.

This is one of his more solid outings, even though it is a ludicrous conflation of history in the tradition of Lord Jim (but less distracted in its storytelling).

Beautifully shot, sporting an uncharacteristically restrained Hans Zimmer score, it also has Cruise at his most insular and brooding. He stumbles here and there, but carries the wounded warrior Algren sufficiently.

His ingratiation into the village hierarchy comes naturally and the resolution for the character is one that Cruise seemed to like so much he ended up shoehorning it into several other projects in later years.

Cruise is the same height as everyone else save for fellow gaijin Tony Goldwyn, explaining Cruise's animosity for his former superior officer more than any slaughter of unarmed Sioux children ever could.

The standouts are found in rebellion leader Katsumoto and the residents of his village. While Ken Watanabe got all the praise for his portrayal of Katsumoto, I ended up appreciating the smaller roles this time around. From Katsumoto's son to his loyal guardsmen (one of which looked and acted like he stepped right out of Seven Samurai), they all were given moments to shine and build a more fully realized and inhabited world through which Algren navigated.

Of course, the uneven aspect reared its head in the portrayal of Japan's industrialization as a supremely wicked thing, as the antagonist Omura is little more than a mustache-twirling villain (enough though it is a nice mustache). While the screenwriter and Zwick romanticize the samurai (hard not to) and give them a beautiful elegy, there is scant time made for those they struggle to wrest control from.

This is more of a problem for me than most, but seeing how well drawn and established everything else was, it bugged me a bit that some bone was not thrown toward the businessman who sold his world away.
      Last edited by Captain Russ; 06-02-2015, 11:47 AM.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I never gave this a chance. I feel as if I need to now. Nice write up man.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I know several people who will never watch it because of Paul Mooney's evisceration of it.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I really liked THE LAST SAMURAI. Very solid movie, in my opinion.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• hahahaha
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• I'd watch it.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• It would be his best movie since Dragnet.

Comment

• That's funny, but it's pretty clear in the movie that Cruise isn't 'the last samurai' in the movie's title...that's Ken Watanabe.
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Last Samurai is legit great.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                        Last Samurai is legit great.

It's OK at best.
                        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Nah, it's fun. I like it a lot, Watanabe and Hiroyuki Sanada are amazing in it. And teh ninja scene was freaking neat.
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                            It's OK at best.
                            Watanabe elevates it like nobodies business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                              It's OK at best.
                              YOU'RE OK AT BEST YOU SUNNNUVABEEEEECH!!!!

You're prolly right though but fuck it, I really enjoy the movie.
                              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• It's OK at best.

Ed Zwick got lucky with Glory. But, that film had legendary cinematography and technical work. This is just the movie that introduced Western audiences to Ken Watanabe 18 years after the fact.
                                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Working...
                                X