Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy of Terror. Shameful admission: I had never seen this before. I am so glad I now own this crapTASTIC piece of Americana. Star STUDDED cast, though. Robert Englund, Eddie Albert, Ray Walston, Erin Moran, and that Zalman guy that directed the Red Shoe Diaries (acting, not directing). Great sets, despite the lo-budget way they went about making them. Acceptable level of effects magic. Good gore. And worm rape. Can't forget about the worm rape.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• The Boat That Rocked (aka Pirate Radio)

One of Richard Curtis' better films and far more likeable than I would have thought. I had no interest in seeing it when it came out, largely thanks to a lack-lustre ad campaign and Curtis' name - and bear in mind, this came out almost a year earlier over here. So when I put in my recently acquired free copy last night, I figured I'd have it on mostly as background. But it charmed me and the cast has a lot to do with that. Nick Frost, Bill Nighy, PSH, Kenneth Branagh - these are guys I always enjoy watching. I was surprised when Chris O'Dowd and Rhys Darby showed up and even more surprised when it became clear the film was going to give each them all pretty much equal screen time, as well as roles that play to their respective strengths. There are the typical things that Curtis does that had me rolling my eyes: I could have done without the protacted realisation of who Carl's dad was and there's a fakeout in the climax that was so unconvincing from the get-go that it just felt like cheating. It's a bit long as well - at 100 minutes it would be close to greatness, but at more than 2 hours the baggage hurts it.

However, there are sequences of sheer bliss. The stag night could have come straight from an Edgar Wright film and had me grinning ear to ear; with a soundtrack this crammed with classics, the endless montages of kids, adults, families and horny teens rocking out while the gents' groaned into the mic really sold me on the fever they were whipping up, rather than taking me out of the narrative thrust. Some of the jokes are a little easy, but never cruel or truly groanworthy and when you've got this cast, it's hard to go wrong. Hoffman was the standout for me, though as I said, everyone had their moments to shine.

A really solid, easy watch, the kind of film I'd happily throw on and watch with my mum and dad - a thoroughly pleasant surprise.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• It's a perfectly good "Nothing is on and I want background noise while doing something else" movie. The cast is having a really good time, and that carries it a long way.

Comment

• Battleship

It's a retarded popcorn flick, but it did entertain me for 2 hours, and occasionally made me laugh. I still don't get why those retarded Halo-looking aliens weren't just using those invincible shredding wheels as their mainstay weapons instead of those explosive spinning beer cans that I think are alien "missiles". The aliens just got lucky that they managed to trap Liam Neeson outside their energy wall, or else we all know that he would have singlehandedly destroyed them using his fists, his "very particular set of skills" and his newly tamed wolf pack from The Grey.
          Last edited by Martin; 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Probably because they knew they were in a movie called Battleship.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Skyfall. Fun action but altogether a hot mess. For some reason it really irritated me that the police car sirens were American sirens, not European.
              Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ingrid View Post
                Skyfall. Fun action but altogether a hot mess. For some reason it really irritated me that the police car sirens were American sirens, not European.
                This probably won't change how you felt about the movie but..

Comment

• I fucking knew you'd be in here with some "I'm going to school you" information. hahaha
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Went out on a couples night to see "Warm Bodies". It had a few humorous moments, a comparatively low level of violence & gore, and some romance between a human & zombie protagonists. My wife didn't really like it, because she said it couldn't decide what it wanted to be (I personally didn't fault it for this), and that it required a huge suspension of disbelief. With this, I agree. For normal folks, because you have to believe this could happen between these two, given the built in repugnance factor. For zombie nuts, because you have to believe a zombie could actually talk that fucking well.

ETA: this was a friend's idea. I think he was banking on it being all things to all people, & thus an ideal date night movie.
                    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Battleship

It's a retarded popcorn flick, but it did entertain me for 2 hours, and occasionally made me laugh. I still don't get why those retarded Halo-looking aliens weren't just using those invincible shredding wheels as their mainstay weapons instead of those explosive spinning beer cans that I think are alien "missiles". The aliens just got lucky that they managed to trap Liam Neeson outside their energy wall, or else we all know that he would have singlehandedly destroyed them using his fists, his "very particular set of skills" and his newly tamed wolf pack from The Grey.
                      Watched this last night, and I never wanted to punch a movie in the face more. The writing was terrible, the characters were walking cliches (I don't even blame the actors - they tried their best with the dreck they had to work with), the aliens had all this fancy tech and still got their asses handed to them. I felt like the movie itself was saying "fuck you for watching me" as it unspooled. Fuck, I was more entertained by Battle: Los Angeles and even Skyline, and Skyline was "meh" at best. Hell, watching Rob and CJ play Battleship via BDRcade would be light years better and more entertaining than this shit.

Avoid.

Comment

• As much as it's a bad movie, it's still better than Skyline (except for those last 2 minutes...).
                        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Sounds like the digital dogshit waste of time and money that I always dreamed it would be.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Dredd - It hate fucks all of these shitty movies you guys are talking about then arrests them and sends it to the cubes for 20 years. In short, I loved it.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Just watched DREDD as well. Holy shit was that awesome.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                              Originally posted by gravedigger
                              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                              Originally posted by Martin
                              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Yep. The scene after the machine guns of death was so ALPHA.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X