Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had no idea Danny Huston was in 30 Days of Night. Now I want to watch it.

EDIT: Ben Foster too? I know it won't be good but I am tracking this down.

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
      SUPER- This ended up being more fucked up than I expected. And it's far better than the similar movie that starred Michael Rapport, who generally sucks. Definitely worth a watch for fans of superheroes, underdogs, and sociopaths. But not fans of Underdog, the sociopathic superhero.

Love James Gunn so much.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Seen Super twice now and I think I love it. Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page give the best performances I've seen from them and Bacon is great in it too. But Gunn just gets everything right. Its surprising and heartfelt and funny and shockingly brutal in places. But it has something to say, which is why it clicks a bit better than Kick Ass for me (though Kick Ass is a LOT more fun).
        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I still prefer Super over Kick-Ass. Mostly because of everything you said. I also feel that Kick-Ass loses some steam near the end.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Gotta disagree on that...I think KICK ASS totally kicks into gear in the third.act and never lets up. If anything, it loses steam in the second act due.to.some pacing issues.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I loved Super for the simple fact that the protagonist is actually a huge fucking dork whose psychosis and iron will propel him into such an insane career choice.

I didn't get that same visceral feeling of "oh my fuck, he not only crossed the line, he pissed on the line and made sweet love to the line's mom" when he breaks out that wrench when I saw Hit Girl make mincemeat of any number of thugs.

Kick-Ass is a much more light-hearted take on the subject, and as such handles the same issues found in Super with much more broad strokes. Not that that is a bad thing, it's just executed with a veneer of hyperreality whereas Super moves closer to a real world superhero than some might need in their movie going experience. Nevertheless, Gunn stuck to his guns and came out with the better picture in my estimation. I still have love for the streets and Nic Adam West Cage though.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I saw Kick Ass twice in the cinema.

But I own Super on Blu Ray.
                I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Guess I gotta see SUPER then.
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• I still wish Kick-Ass was about 20 mins shorter.

Comment

• Never Let Me Go

Powerful stuff. If the ethereal quality of the trailer doesn't interest you, this probably isn't the film for you. I feel like I got what I was promised and a lot more, though. First and foremost, this sold me on both Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley, who are both excellent. Carey Mulligan can probably be classed as reliably amazing at this point. And Charlotte Rampling and Sally Hawkins both make massive impressions with very small roles. The whole thing is shot to perfection, evoking an England that simply never existed. That, without getting into spoiler territory, kind of says the whole thing. Suffice to say, Alex Garland and Mark Romanek show incredible restraint, trusting the actors and the words and the space to propel the whole thing along, which they do. There are moments of breathtaking emotional complexity in the second half of the film, yet the presentation is simple and effective and never feels manipulative. The whole thing has a subtle layer of science fiction applied to a very human and romantic story, the likes of which wouldn't have gone amiss in something like The Adjustment Bureau.

And man. I can't imagine what Romanek's Wolfman would have been like.

Comment

• Well said Ben. I went in to Never Let Me Go thinking "I'm gonna hate this" and because of the things you mentioned I bought into it and became invested in the characters and the story as a whole. I liked that the story was told through the characters and not with complex sci-fi jargon and effects and what not. Granted I'm wholly unfamiliar with the book the film is based off of so I'm not sure that those type of elements would have been involved anyway but in films like this that I've seen before there was the tendency to over reach with those particular elements.

And I have to say, I'm still not sold on Garfield as Spidey, but I'm willing to give him a shot where as before I wasn't.
                        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Totally. It works because the protagonists are so childlike in their understanding of concepts (especially complex things like deception, or even sexuality) and so the simplistic, aggrandised names - The Gallery, Completion, Deferral - expose the simplicity with which the characters understand them. We go along with them and get sucked into the mystery and forget that they are not like other people and do not have the cynicism of other people. And its brought crushingly into perspective when Tom and Kathy go to visit 'Madame' with his drawings. Garfield is incredible in that scene.

Comment

• There's a point where Kathy gets what is going on and Tom doesn't. And it's at that point where you see what kind of work Garfield is putting in. I totally believed in that moment that he just did not get what was going on. In lesser hands that scene would have really came off hack-ish.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• All these movies suck... and let me tell you why.

She's not in them.

Comment

• There is a case to be made there Vin. Please, expand on your theory, possibly with more pictures featuring less clothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X