Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you have for dinner last night?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depends on what I want at the moment. Sometimes some garlic rub (from the ren fest, garlic garni to be exact), a little onion powder, a bit of red pepper flakes, some chili powder (only a touch). It's not exact every time, but the only thing that needs to be exact is that the steak is covered with kosher salt. That salt tends to be the best for this method. I'll have to find the link that I read about this. I think I have it saved at home. The best thing about this method is that if you need to get some cheap steaks, they will taste fucking great.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Depends on what I want at the moment. Sometimes some garlic rub (from the ren fest, garlic garni to be exact), a little onion powder, a bit of red pepper flakes, some chili powder (only a touch). It's not exact every time, but the only thing that needs to be exact is that the steak is covered with kosher salt. That salt tends to be the best for this method. I'll have to find the link that I read about this. I think I have it saved at home. The best thing about this method is that if you need to get some cheap steaks, they will taste fucking great.
      Please post the link if/when you find it.

Regarding the salt: are you talking about both sides and the edges? Also, how thick do you pack the salt on it?
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Just the top of the steak. And thick enough where you can't see the steak.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-...me-steaks.html

There you go. Then you just experiment with what you like.

All of you who season JUST before grilling – this is what you are really doing to the meat. Did you know that? All the water comes to the surface and if you don’t pat super-dry, you’re basically STEAMING the meat. Plus, your salt just sits on the surface of the steak, leaving the interior tasteless.

Comment

• Awesome, thanks.
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Like I said, you may not dig it, but when I can't afford my dryaged ribeyes, this method makes even a 6 dollar steak taste like a 20 dollar one.

Comment

• I would like to state that Rob makes awesome steaks. And it's totally worth the money getting them from the butcher too.
                If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

• My steak last night was a cheapo $5 steak from Jerry's that tasted like a filet mignon. Jerry's always has good meat.

Comment

• Fuck yeah. Also, she says to salt both sides, I've never done that actually, only the top, so maybe that will make it EVEN BETTER haha.

Comment

• I assume the point of coating in Kosher Salt is to suck out the moisture and leave in the flavor? And can this work with hamburgers and a George Foreman?
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Only way I grill my steaks at home is on the foreman. The outdoor grill is across the fucking courtyard and people are constantly using it. Never tried it with burgers.

Comment

• I just had six sandwiches and now I feel like I'm about to explode.
                          The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Only way I grill my steaks at home is on the foreman. The outdoor grill is across the fucking courtyard and people are constantly using it. Never tried it with burgers.
                            The foreman does surprisingly well on steaks. Only thing is they are not quite as juicy as a regular grille.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Oh for sure. But they do the job for now. Once we get a house, I'm going to have a shit ton of grills. And make me a smoker.

Comment

Oh for sure. But they do the job for now. Once we get a house, I'm going to have a shit ton of grills. And make me a smoker.
                                Was not a criticism my friend, I still grill steaks on the foreman during shitty weather and they still turn out great if seasoned just right. And nothing wrong with doing so if you don't have room for a grill.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X