TRUE DETECTIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
    Got that vibe too. I'm also guessing Hart's daughter is going to be involved in the endgame to this season.
    Yep, me too.
    Originally posted by BillyG View Post
    Seriously. When the girls were playing with the crown (holy shit that Yellow King stuff is crazy) I was waiting on some dude to snatch them up.
    Also remember when they were little girls they posed the barbie in a gang bang type position? Somebody's been grooming Hart's daughters, the question is who?
    Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    Pretty great episode last night. I really hope they take this into a supernatural type place if the references to the Yellow King stuff isn't just fluff.
    I don't know how far they'll push that but they already had meth zombie Dunn tell Mcheyhey he saw him in the black stars then at the end of that ep the camera pulled back on Mcheyhey and the panels on the walls had black stars on them so who knows?
    Originally posted by BillyG View Post
    YESSSSSSssssssssssssss
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Fuck man. This show. I'm glad it's only 8 episodes or I would become seriously obsessive. That evangelist gave me the creeps. Neon fucking crosses and shit.

Comment

The music choices are so fucking good in this thing, it's ridiculous. Especially with that end shot last night.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

Love that Rust didn't even fix his tail light. No fucks given.....like at all.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

didnt' know it was only 8 episodes. That seems a bit abrupt for this season to end in 2 episodes.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Depends how long that last episode is. If they're all an hour then man, these last two are going to be crammed full of stuff.

Comment

yeah, that's kind of my problem. I honestly thought this was a standard 12-13 episode season. 8 seems incredibly short especially with the fact the first 2-3 episodes were pretty slow going.
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Maybe as far as plot is concerned it was slow, but what was built in its place (characters, setting, mood) far outstrips the usual bullshit procedural.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                    Love that Rust didn't even fix his tail light. No fucks given.....like at all.
                    That's not what to take away from it. Take away, where was he for 10 years? That truck was in still pristine condition from 2002 to present day. He probably never drove it, because he was missing. Fuck I love this show.

Comment

Comment

Read this interesting take on another forum I'm, on.

First this is from HBO:
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        Re-watching episode 1 right now. In hist first prison interview Charlie Lang states that he and Dora grew up together- dropped out around the same time.

Its not Marty Hart. The big character moment there is when he beats up the two kids that violated his daughter - and then vomits. He couldn't possibly be someone capable of the level of extended torture we've seen. That also leads me to believe he acted in real outrage over Ledoux's crimes, instead of silencing Ledoux so he couldn't point out Marty's involvement in the cult.

His daughter Audrey is highly traumatized. There's also LOTS of direct evidence she's been molested (the tag team with the two boys, the sex pictures at school, the 5 men and the barbie rape seen), but what's more its definitely the cult. There's a blue spiral in her room, sign of the cult, the barbie seen is clearly tied to the picture of the 5 men on horseback in the first victim. Plus there's a really odd moment that foreshadows the ending in my mind. There's the scene where Harts two girls are playing over the princess crown, and it ends up in the tree. The symbolism is there - the crown for the king, the antler crown the victims were wearing, and the tree where they find the first 'official' victim.

Which leads us to the reveals in this show. At first I didn't think there was any, and this show was pure exposition. But I think in retrospect we'll see a lot of them. This may be wrong, and may be over analyzing, but if Audrey has been victimized by the cult, the question is how did anyone gain access to her. We haven't heard of her being in one of the Tuttle schools. It seems most likely it had to do with her family. But if it isn't Marty, then who? Its from her mother's side - Maggie and her father in law. This definitely traces back to Marty saying his biggest sin was inattention - and odd thing to say in light of his multiple infidelities, but not if his daughter was being raped under his own nose. And he says that, its the thing you miss, the thing right under his nose. We know that the Rich people, the big men, commit murder down south by a lake. We know Maggie's dad is well off and lives by a lake.

Beth shows up and seduces Marty - and she clearly seduced him, not the other way around. What effect did that end up having? It blew up his marriage, and that led to the final break up between Marty and Rust. That initially seems innocuous - it was a random meet at T-mobile, right? But we know Marty was there with a big bag of tampoons - clearly he's running errands for his wife. What if Maggie is the one that sent Marty to T-mobile?

Why would Beth seduce him? Hero worship? Maybe. But we also know she was at the Bunny Ranch where one of the victims came from. That ranch was owned at least in part by the Sheriff of that county - who also was dismissive and road blocked the missing person's theory. Is that Sheriff part of the Yellow King cult? That would be a hell of a position to cull sinful women, which is what the cult seems to do, and we have pretty good belief at this point that its 1) a 5 person conspiracy and 2) law enforcement is involved.

I may be wrong, but I think this ep was much more meaningful than first glance, and Marty and Cohle are both seduced and their partnership fractured by two women that are pawns of the conspiracy. Maggie becomes a MUCH more important character then, and critical to the resolution of the story.

And I think the story ends with the foreshadowing shown to us by the two girls playing with the crown and it getting stuck in the tree - Audrey is taken by the cult to be sacrificed, with the sudden realization that Marty's own family is involved, the secret that was under his nose all along and in 2012 he's only beginning to understand.

Of course, I could be totally wrong - but I thing its a fun bit of speculation, and it fits both the clues and the symbology given to this point. Of course, there's also Marty's advice to Cohle at the beginning - don't adopt your own narrative to the facts. That was some really interesting advice, and one of the beauties of the show - there's SO many moments that could have different meanings depending on what your narrative was.

For example, is Colhe the killer? It seems unlilkely. But there's plenty of reasons to think he's involved, and not just the evidence the two cops in 2012 present to Marty. One is his philosophy - its actually better to kill a kid than let them grow up in this world. His own rationalization due to his daughters death? Sure. But also one hell of a motive for serial killing. The meaning of the great line when he tells the girl she should kill herself. Outrage due to her own crimes? Maybe. You could even say sympathy for what will happen to her if she goes to jail, though it seems less likely by the way he delivered the line.

But maybe it ties into a phone call to the double murderer - one of the great unanswered questions to this point. Who called the drug store murderer who had knowledge that the King in Yellow was still out there? Who could manipulate him into killing himself? We know Cohle is capable of the types of manipulation necessary - its what makes him such a great interrogator. And we just learned he will tell a criminal to kill themselves when he's alone with them. And why did Cohle rough him up? It invalidated that confession, right? It could be that he lost his cool when he realized that the king in yellow was still out there. It could be he wanted to taint the confession. It depends on your narrative. NICE touch. The show is full of moments like that.

Ultimately I don't think its Cohle, because I can't see a reason for him to continue tracking the case with such dogged determination once he was out of the police, and I don't think he'd quite the force if he was the killer. But man, have they given you a lot of nuggets that if that was your narrative you could point to 'aha' look at that!

I think I've learned more about character development and character driven narrative in this show than the last 10 year of watching TV. Brilliant stuff.

Also this:

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post

As soon as I saw that I thought "oh they're just fucking with us now."

Comment

Not reading this thread until I'm caught up but this show is dope as fuck, mang. McHeyHey is incredible.

Comment

The show is so fucking amazing. Totes buying whatever fucking blu ray they put out of it. TAKE ALL OF MY MONIES

Comment

Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                                Not reading this thread until I'm caught up but this show is dope as fuck, mang. McHeyHey is incredible.
                                I expect to see you back this afternoon then.

Comment

Working...
                                X