Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random TV that do not need their own threads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
    I think he was referring to top quality, not ratings.
    Yeah I misunderstood.

Comment

• Most of your list was a 'cancelled too soon' list Jeff. Some, like 'Magnum P.I.', were treading water in terms of quality at the end.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      Originally posted by Martin
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Yeah trust me you'll never see me use the words "quality" and "Friends" in the same sentence.
        Originally posted by Ari
        The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

Well, those don't exist.

Not in this dojo.

hahahaa.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I think he was referring to top quality, not ratings.

Ratings mean dick. We all know this.
            Indeed. But at least some of these capped their story, but how many did it within their original plan?

Originally posted by Theodore Moistington III View Post
            Canada is no better. Corner Gas.

I REST MY CASE
            Nonesense. Most of Canada, (even Quebec, who has a different TV culture) takes the US model, but the UK model is still in our mind here. Some great Quebec shows ended WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE. Like they do in the UK (Life on Mars, etc...). and even there some shit never die (Dr. Who, anyone?).

Hell, if I ever can find 19-2 with subs (a brand new cop series here), I'll tag it for your guys. It's nearly The Wire level. And we know it ain't gonna last forever.

And Corner Gas is shit. Never watched it.
            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Culture has nothing to do with it. Shows that transcend the medium and become art tell the story and leave. Shows that are there to get ratings and nothing more just keep pushing it until the money isn't there. Where the show comes from has nothing to do with it. jesus christ guys DOCTOR WHO

Comment

• Wings destroys all of your shows.

The Battle for Nantucket lasted nearly 7 years. The victory and its finale still resonate with me to this day.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                  Culture has nothing to do with it. Shows that transcend the medium and become art tell the story and leave. Shows that are there to get ratings and nothing more just keep pushing it until the money isn't there. Where the show comes from has nothing to do with it. jesus christ guys DOCTOR WHO
                  The capitalistic nature of the US plays a huge part in it's culture. Most of our quality TV is somewhat sponsored by the state, that demands a timetable when financing. I'm not saying we do better TV, but ours is at least more finite in most cases, a fact that many shows in the US seldom have the chance to do with the axe after so few episodes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    The capitalistic nature of the US plays a huge part in it's culture. Most of our quality TV is somewhat sponsored by the state, that demands a timetable when financing. I'm not saying we do better TV, but ours is at least more finite in most cases, a fact that many shows in the US seldom have the chance to do with the axe after so few episodes.
                    Our TV industry is not government sponsored or funded, so finality in the product they create to generate money would be the worst possible thing they could do. The persons responsible would be tarred, feathered, and raped by Jerry Seinfeld's personal assistant's chin-dildo for suggesting such a thing.

Or move to cable programming.
                    Last edited by Captain Russ; 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Shut up frenchy.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Re-fulfilling my love of Ren & Stimpy. Brought the first two seasons on DVD (I figured what the fuck it was my birthday Friday - why not?) and...boy this show helped cement my warped sense of humor as a child.
                        Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• I need to find some of the classic detailed close-ups the used to have on the show.

Comment

• Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM.
                            Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Our TV industry is not government sponsored or funded, so finality in the product they create to generate money would be the worst possible thing they could do. The persons responsible would be tarred, feathered, and raped by Jerry Seinfeld's personal assistant's chin-dildo for suggesting such a thing.

Or move to cable programming.
                              Well we do. And I'm not saying that US TV is shit, far from it (in fact some of the best shows ever are from there), but it really suffers from the capitalistic POV of the business.

Look at The Wire for exemple: no way network TV would have let it live to tell the whole story. Hence Art suffers.

Now, we could go into cable vs network (and cable wins overall), but the fact remains that the US model is flawed because it doesn't support art, but money, and while I completely get the point of it, it's detrimental to the medium and to the storytelling.

Comment

• TV has always been an extension of advertising revenue. I don't think it will ever change the mission statement of commerce before art, so we'll just have to continue on as we always have: scavenging for scraps of enjoyment wherever and however we may find them.

I hope Jon Cryer gets fucked to death by a horse.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X