No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica [spoilers obviously]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with you, I know it's silly but fracked?!?!?! FRACKED?

That has to be the lamest shit I've ever heard of. But I don't like mother frackers inserting fracking fake acz words into stuff because they are to scared to bleep it. It's just as silly as my issue with watching the show because of it.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• It is actually just another part of the language of the show. Not just spoken mind you, but how the world of BSG functions. I agree it can be a bit hokey at times, but you accept it on the terms of the show being about people of a different time, space, and reality.

I'll take frack over the bullshit dialogue replacement of yesteryear (though certain cases can be made to the contrary i.e., The Big Lebowski), as at least in this case there is a logical explanation for its existence.

Your beef with this made up word is hilarious. This from a man who uses "sex basket" as part of his own lexicon. Come on buddy, join in the fun. Move beyond the trivial, you'll feel better.
      Last edited by Captain Russ; 01-25-2011, 12:57 AM.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OK I might but you must admit the fact that one has to explain why the word exists is reason enough that it shouldn't. And I may use "sex basket" in my lexicon but that was in an attempt at humor, one that seemed to work if I recall, however I would not make up entirely NEW words to replace sex and/or basket to get the same joke across.

Therein lies the rub. WHY make up a fake word to begin with? To be "edgy?" If that's the case I call major fail as it's the absence of edginess. But it's no biggie, I wholeheartedly admit the show may be the greatest thing ever but the first time I heard frack, I mentally checked out.

To me it's no different than people who can't get into certain characters because the real life actor's accent slips a couple of times. I know it's borderline irrational but as a wise man once said, I ams what I ams and that's all that I ams.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I like to think it's a deliberate fuck you to censors. "Look here. We'll curse no matter what you think and the audience will know what the fuck we actually mean." It was an interesting idea (language shift) but I wish they had actually taken it farther. Regardless of this one word, Russ has it right. Great storytelling in the sci-fi vein. In the same vein of story-telling as The Shield, BSG is a great deconstruction of human morality, religion, responsibility, etc. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Side note, just like The Shield anyone that I've convinced to watch BSG has agreed that it's an amazing show and they wished they could have watched it first run. Take that with a grain of salt, of course.

If you want to be practical, BSG also has some pretty hawt wimmin folk.
          Last edited by Howard; 01-25-2011, 02:07 AM.
          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
          - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard View Post
            If you want to be practical, BSG also has some pretty hawt wimmin folk.
            Some of the gentlemen weren't too bad to look at either.
            Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
              NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OK I might but you must admit the fact that one has to explain why the word exists is reason enough that it shouldn't. And I may use "sex basket" in my lexicon but that was in an attempt at humor, one that seemed to work if I recall, however I would not make up entirely NEW words to replace sex and/or basket to get the same joke across.

Therein lies the rub. WHY make up a fake word to begin with? To be "edgy?" If that's the case I call major fail as it's the absence of edginess. But it's no biggie, I wholeheartedly admit the show may be the greatest thing ever but the first time I heard frack, I mentally checked out.

To me it's no different than people who can't get into certain characters because the real life actor's accent slips a couple of times. I know it's borderline irrational but as a wise man once said, I ams what I ams and that's all that I ams.
              Blame Whedon for this.

He started it when he used 'gorram' instead of 'goddamn' in 'Firefly'. I rather prefer 'frak' myself over 'gorram'.

He also used 'God's Balls' as a statement of incredulity in 'Serenity'.

I really like that one.

So just frakkin' relax, gorram it! God's balls, son... your underwear are on too tight!

Comment

• frack came from the og series
                Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• It all comes back to Whedon doesn't it. Mother Fucker! Also guy's I'm not in any shape or form attacking the quality of BSG, I'm sure it's as good as you say but something about that faux edginess ALWAYS sets me off. I'd rather hear F*bleep*K than Frak. I will check it out once I've weeded through the other 18 shows I have on netflix that I didn't catch on initial airing.

I won't name those in fear of an Ed Hocken DoTD style backlash.

Comment

• Ed only brought that on himself because he preferred to see frakkin' "Ragtime" over DoTD.

I give you my word that you will not be made sport of... at least not by me.

I can't speak for these other muldoons.

Comment

• Yeah, I am so behind on my TV shows. Been sitting on the first season of Breaking Bad for.......a long time.
                      Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                      Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                      POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Muldoons, there you guys go again with your made up words. FRAK!

J/K guys I know muldoons are a type of cookie.

I'm still kidding frakers!

Comment

• Admiral Cain's mole bothers me. Moley, moley, moley, moley, moley!
                          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

• Uncle Buck Melanomahead here.

I would make sweet, tender laser surgery to her mole if she asked. Barring that, some low-down fracking would also work.

(Honestly, it's part of Forbes' appeal. I wouldn't change a goddamn thing.)
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Well, just finished watching BSG and I must say, I love this show. Definitely one of my favorites now.
                              "With all the dick sucking and butt fucking jokes we make, this is the gayest thing ever posted on BDR. Even Howard cringed from behind his laptop playing Gilmore Girls." -BillyG

Comment

•   Spoiler: Spoiler 
                                I'm still pissed about Billy. Just finished his death scene. So fucking cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X