Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely Edward Gorey.

Interesting bit on wiki.

After Gorey's death, one of his executors, Andreas Brown, turned up a large cache of unpublished work, some completed, some incomplete. Brown described the find as "Ample material for many future books and for plays based on his work.
    http://www.goreydetails.net/
    Last edited by PHEDG; 11-26-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
      I am SO holdng you to this. I'm dying to know the back story here.
      I will, I promise, but it's late and I'm pissed off, so sometime tomorrow, I'll tell you. It's just a really long story.
      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Okay, so as promised, here’s my story about my biggest childhood fear, The Wicked Witch of the West from “The Wizard of Oz”. After you hear this story, you’re still probably going to wonder how this is one of my all time top favorite movies in the world, and how she ultimately became one of my favorite characters, but still.

Flat out, she used to terrify me. From ages 3 to 9, I used to sleep with the light on for a solid week after our annual family viewing on CBS. The minute the lights would go dark, I used to picture her in my mind, creeping into my room while I slept.

<O</OThis went on for years, until I was in college. Yes, COLLEGE. The thing that turned it around for me was a wonderful awesome book called “The Making of The Wizard of Oz” by Aljean Harmetz (http://www.amazon.com/Making-Wizard-...2502016&sr=1-1). The first edition of the book was written in 1977 (I discovered it in our college library in 1985), and by 1977, pretty much one of the few cast members who was still alive was Margaret Hamilton, who wound up being invaluable in the writing of this book. Literally half the book was ghost written by her, and you can tell by just her normal manner of speaking that she was actually very kind, very down to earth, and incredibly sharp. Through the stories she told, she looked out for everyone – her stand in, her wardrobe mistress, Judy Garland, etc. I mean, it’s hard to remain terrified of a woman who, after Judy Garland turned 16 on the set and received her first big present – her own dressing room with a giant bow on it – had to help Judy track down the key. Judy came to “Maggie” in tears, to which Maggie replied, “What’s the matter, honey?” Judy explained that after the birthday party, she went to actually go into her new dressing room, and found that no one had given her the key. So, off the two of them went, to find the wardrobe mistress who had gone to lunch with the key in her pocket. It’s hard to be scared of that visual – The Wicked Witch, with her arm around Dorothy, patting her gently on the shoulder as they set off together to find the key to her dressing room. Maggie said, “I just felt so horrible for that poor girl – her first really big present, and they didn’t even give her the key so that she could use it!” <O</O

Frankly, this book is amazing mostly because of Margaret Hamilton. Not to make it sound like she sat down with Aljean Harmetz and helped her write a “Hey, Here’s Why Maggie Rocks” book, but her side of the story is really pretty cool. One of the things that went a long way in getting over this fear was her stories about how she always felt so bad that she scared so many generations of children, because she used to be a teacher and really loved kids.

One of the other things that helped me get past it was the fact that I am far from alone on this. The more I read about her, the more I realized that she did almost too good of a job being frightening, and that I had nothing to be embarrassed about. A couple of facts about the level of fear she instilled in kids: They cut several minutes of her scenes that were deemed just too scary. In actuality, she’s only on about 12 minutes of film total, but she’s so threatening, she feels like a constant presence. Another story – the Mego line of “Wizard of Oz” dolls was a failure, due to her doll. The line was released in 1975, and was modeled after the 1939 MGM movie. They brought in a group of small kids as a focus group, and there was something huge like a 97% recognition factor. However, they were all terrified of the WWW doll. None of them wanted any of the other dolls because HER doll was so scary.

<O<OGoogle stuff about her on the internet – you’ll find even better stories about her kindness and hospitality through the years. She used to invite fans and struggling actors coming through NY to lunch at her apartment on Sutton Place, just so they’d feel like they had someone to connect to while they were in the big city.

<OSo even though this book really helped me get past 99% of my fear, there’s one scene that nothing can help me get past. Just isn’t going to happen. It’s the scene in the Witch’s castle where Dorothy sees Aunt Em in the crystal ball – and as she’s crying to Aunt Em to please help her, the image blurs, changes, and turns into the Witch, screaming and mocking her, tormenting her about wanting her Aunt to come rescue her. Then she looks directly at the camera, and as the camera moves in for a tight close up, she just screams the most terrifying laughter in the world. I'm getting goosebumps just typing this – I’ve watched that scene literally two times. Once the first time I ever saw it, and then again when I was a teenager, trying to force myself not to be scared of it, which didn’t work.

When I worked at Suncoast - after college, after I’d read the book – we’d run “Oz” in the store numerous times a week, because it was our guaranteed cash cow. Everytime we played it, we sold at least five copies while it was running, so it got played a lot. And everytime they came to that scene, I’d have to “scoot back to our stockroom to get something”. In 1998, I saw it on a big screen for the first time with a buddy of mine from college who had just relocated to NYC – this is a guy who’s known all about that scene. When we got to that part, I clapped my hands over my eyes, and he said, “Still?” After it was over, I uncovered my eyes and said, “Yup!”

So there you have it – the one scene, out of all the terrifying movies in the world, that I just can’t watch, still, 45 years later. <O<OBy the way, I’m also not alone in not being able to watch that scene. Many “Oz” fans have copped to that scene being pants-wettingly terrifying, which at least I never had that happen! But in case your curious, during an interview, they brought that up to Margaret Hamilton to ask her reaction. Her reply was, “Well, I’m not surprised. That must be a terrifying thing for a child, to see the person they love the most in the world gradually disappear, leave them, and turn into a monster.” Like I said, she was clearly a sharp lady.

EDIT: By the way - not to turn this into an "Oz/WWW" thread, but if you're interested in what happened the first time Maggie's little boy saw her in "Oz", it's an absolutely charming story, no lie!
        Last edited by Lisa; 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

Great story, Lisa! I'd heard the Mego WWW story on the Mego Museum boards (another factor why the Wizard of Oz line didn't sell as much as it should've was there wasn't as much interest as was hoped, WWW notwithstanding). Also, the Witch had a castle playset, very rare to find (here's a link to it, including a toy version of the crystal ball!).

Lisa's story reminds me of my American Werewolf in London story I told elsewhere. Last movie to kind of freak me out, until I read up about how it was made, which got me hooked on special effects info and horror in general after many moons away.

Comment

I'd read that about the Witch's castle playset - there were two, that one and the basic Land of Oz/Emerald City, etc. one. The Witch's castle is super rare.

Comment

Lot of Mego rarities out there - don't get me started on the Spider-Man ones I covet. However, I do recall seeing the WOZ figures and playsets at the local stores when I was a kid. Never owned any (WOZ was for GIRLS, man! Planet of the Apes was for the BOYS! Nyeah!), but I saw 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                Lisa's story
                DAWWWWWWWW

My mom's good friend from UT still can't be anywhere near that movie due to flying monkeys.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

The Winged Monkeys are creepy, but they personally never scared me like the WWW did. But with most fans, they run about 50/50 with the WWW in scaring them as kids.

Comment

The thing that always creeped me out were the trees. Man, they were so pissed off.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

The chanting soldiers didn't scare me exactly, but I always had a weird fascination w/ them. Those uniforms, painted faces, the exotic polearms, and the endless "Lo-hee-ohhhh! Loooooo-oohhhhhhh!" Hypnotically repulsive. But I can never look away.
                      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

OREEEEEE-OOHHHHHHS
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

Well, like I said earlier, if you're interested, the story about Margaret Hamilton's son seeing "Oz" for the first time is adorable, and it directly involves the Witch's guards.

Comment

Working...
                          X