Iggy's Horror Thread IX: Conquering Childhood Fears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iggy's Horror Thread IX: Conquering Childhood Fears

I don't know what made me think of this, but I logged on to Youtube to watch the intro to "Chiller Theatre", a creature feature broadcast on WPIX, Channel 11 when I was a child. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo
    It used to frighten the shit out of me. Two of the 1st nightmares I can remember having - which are to this day 2 of the most clearly remembered I've ever had - centered around this image. It still gave me the creeps to watch it today. I have never really understood why. The creepy music/sound effects, I guess, and the undeniable, unexplainable dread of a hand rising from the ground (a device put to effective use at the end of "Carrie" and "Maniac", 2 moments that - for personal reasons - have always been monstrously effective at getting a rise out of me). I never noticed until just now that the Chiller Theatre hand had 6 fingers, because I think I only ever watched it all the way thru once, in maybe 1975. It never got farther than the very tips coming over the lip of the fissure because I'd flip the fuck out on my folks if it did. My fear was well known back then.

Another thing I used to be absolutely petrifeid of was the blob. I think probably because no matter what you did, you couldn't kill it. All you could do was immobilize it. For awhile. But there would always be the possibility of it coming back again. And getting bigger w/ every kill, and that much harder to stop. The Steve McQueen & Larry Hagman blob movies also scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. The 80's remake has, however, gone on to become one of my favorite horror movies. But I remember going to the theatre to see it at a friend's urging (said friend being totally unaware of my childhood fear) at the age of 19 w/ some measure of trepidation. I ended up enjoying the film so much, I bought a VHS & later a DVD copy of it. I think I have successfuly conquered this fear, in that it doesn't scare me any more.

Chiller Theatre, maybe not so much.

So this got me to wondering what childhood fears have you confronted, and did you conquer them?

. . . or did they conquer you?
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Very cool stop motion. Sounded almost like Homer at the end.

If pressed to find that initial creepy thing that still triggers those old feelings of unease or childhood terror, the undisputed king would be the visage of Captain Howdy in the Exorcist. I've come to rationalize the reaction as the make-up and lighting just doing its job to create a face that looks horrid and sickly.

Having said that, in context, it still has an effect on me.

Runner-up: The Crypt Keeper popping up at the end of the intro to the show. When I was a kid, as soon as I saw those spiral stairs, I'd have to mute the TV. My childhood self did not appreciate John Kassir or the puppet he voiced at that time.

Now I find it hilarious.
    Last edited by Captain Russ; 11-25-2011, 10:42 PM.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

Poltergeist fucked me up as a VERY young kid. Until just a few years ago someone could whisper a "they're heeeeeere" from the other room and shit would be lost. I also had serious issues with the dark until I was in about 5th grade. No other movies than Poltergeist ever really got to me, but tons of dreams have gotten to me on scary levels and have stuck with me.

Comment

Nooj and I used to have long talks about this very subject over at DERP - I wish I could find our old posts! Mine is a very long story, and I don't have time to type it out right now since I have to finish getting ready to head to NJ to visit my folks this morning. But despite being a huge, ginormous "Wizard of Oz" fan, despite The Wicked Witch now being one of my favorite characters, I could barely watch any of her scenes until I was in college. College, y'all! And there's one scene all together that I still just can't fucking watch - to this day, 45 years after I've seen this film two bazillion times, I have to leave the room during this scene.

Anyway, more on that particular scene, and more on how I mostly got over 99% of my fear when I was roughly 22 years old, after I get back from seeing my folks.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

You're not alone, Ig...

As my sisters would tell you, that intro freaked the holy fuck out of me when I was little.

*scaredshitlessfist*

Comment

Skulls. Skulls used to make me uncomfortable when I was a little kid for some reason. That is, until I discovered this guy:

I had an old Marvel Team-Up where Spider-Man teamed up with Ghost Rider to battle the Orb, a dude with a huge eyeball for a head:

I was 6 at the time. The coolness of this comic destroyed any lingering fear of skulls I had from then on. Skulls is cool.

Oh, and kudos to Iggy for the Chiller clip! Loved the hell out of that show when I to full-on into monster movies and junk.

Comment

I never saw any of the Chiller Theatre features themselves, so freaked was I by the intro. I have no idea what kinds of movies they even were. Button pushing by that intro aside, I was a HUGE wuss about horror movies when I was a little kid. Couldn't handle any until I was like 9.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                Nooj and I used to have long talks about this very subject over at DERP - I wish I could find our old posts! Mine is a very long story, and I don't have time to type it out right now since I have to finish getting ready to head to NJ to visit my folks this morning. But despite being a huge, ginormous "Wizard of Oz" fan, despite The Wicked Witch now being one of my favorite characters, I could barely watch any of her scenes until I was in college. College, y'all! And there's one scene all together that I still just can't fucking watch - to this day, 45 years after I've seen this film two bazillion times, I have to leave the room during this scene.

Anyway, more on that particular scene, and more on how I mostly got over 99% of my fear when I was roughly 22 years old, after I get back from seeing my folks.
                I am SO holdng you to this. I'm dying to know the back story here.

Comment

Oh, and while we'e at it: anyone care to go for extra crdit and try to analyze WHY the stuff that freaked them out did so?

Comment

Simple. I was young and weak.

Why complicate the truth?

Comment

Oh that Thriller video... man, when you're like 4-5.... John Landis was the fucking MAN back then.

And when Robocop 2 came out, that crazy kid opening up that guy with a scalpel fucked me up pretty bad. Emil getting smashed? No problem at all. But that kid? Fuck him.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
                        Oh, and while we'e at it: anyone care to go for extra crdit and try to analyze WHY the stuff that freaked them out did so?
                        I'll take crack at it.

For me, it was the extrapolation that something amorphous and sinister lurked in shadow, and offering up that face as an example of what was there did not brighten my day. I suppose it was attached to the fear of the dark I had as a little kid, seeing and imagining things that were not there and having that plastered on the big screen and whatnot just drove the point home on a subconscious level.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

And for me, it's was about frikkin blood spliing out of the zombie's mouth, just unreal for a kid I guess, and for Robocop 2, the mundane act of violence. It just seemed so casual...
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

This didn't freak me out but got me in the mood for a good scary mystery on pbs with my Dad. Memories...

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rAmGsM4Dids?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

I have a book called "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" wit artwork by Edward Gorey, that looks a lot like that style. Any idea if he's the guy did that animation as well? The 'Tinies, BTW, is a freakin' hilarious little collection of drawings written like a children's primer Highly recommended for those w/ a black sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X