Traveling through time..A Question worth thinking about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling through time..A Question worth thinking about

I found this over at the Onion AV Club and what better way to continue wasting time at work:

Where and when would you most want to live for five years, restricted to a five-mile radius?

Everyone says things like “Oh man, how cool would it be to be in Dealey Plaza during the JFK assassination, or see The Beatles during one of their Cavern Club concerts, or witness ancient Rome?”Well, what if you were given the chance?

Here are the conditions. You’ve been granted a hypothetical ticket to live, in comfort and coherence, during one five-year time period. Maybe you want to be in New York in Chicago during Prohibition, or Victorian London, or France right before the Revolution. (Or during—no judgments.) You’ll be able to understand and speak the language (if needed), have enough disposable cash to live at leisure, and experience whatever you want, with no need for a job. You’ll have a comfy apartment or house to return to, full period wardrobe, and as much time as you need before making this trip to study up on the period you’ll live in.

But you must stay within a five-mile radius of where/whenever you choose to live. Thus you can’t go see the Kennedy assassination, then go zipping around the world to London to watch the birth of the British Invasion, or New York for the early years of Greenwich Village. Want to see the Kennedy assassination? Fine. But then you’re stuck in Dallas for the next five years.

What historical period (and place), in your opinion, offers the most enticing experiences in one five-year period?
    Further rules by way of The AV Club:

This theoretical launched a ridiculous amount of internal debate and nitpicking among the staff. Here are a few answers to questions, in case y'all find yourself facing those questions as well.

• No, you can't change your gender, race, age, etc. to accommodate where and you want to travel. Sorry.

• You do not automatically get to be friends/lovers/bandmates etc. with anyone from your chosen era just because you go there. Even if you go to the 60s just to hang out with John Lennon, you have to actually approach him and try to befriend him like a normal person. And if he decides you're a dick and he hates you, you're still stuck there with John Lennon hating you. Sorry.

• You are not immune to getting eaten by a dinosaur or thrown to the lions for being Christian or whatever other peril awaits in your chosen time. But we do presume your knowledge of modern hygiene and medicine will protect you from a lot of the disease problems.

I'm sure a million more questions will arise, but try to have fun with it, kay? It's just a thought experiment, not a legal contract.
    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

an interesting question. I'll really need to think on this one. I assume that going into the future is out?
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

I suppose you could but the reasons wouldn't be as compelling.

Of course, we'd all choose the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
        Of course, we'd all choose the future.
        I'd be a crewmember of the U.S.S. Hedonism and spend 5 years in the holodeck.
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Okay, so I'll be boring. I'd love to live right here in NYC during the 70s. I've always been fascinated by the "grittiness" of the city during that time period. There was the big blackout/looting/son of sam/Studio 54 - dear lordy,man, there was so much gritty cool stuff in NYC then! I've loved this city to bits and pieces since I was 12 years old, so to experience it around the time that I was actually 12 years old would be nothing short of awesome.

And I'd still want to live at a swank apartment at the Plaza Hotel, same as I'd want to do now!
          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Nowhere. Fuck being confined to a five-mile radius. I'd freak out if I didn't have a way to get away.

EDIT: I guess if I have to answer this, I'll take my current location, right now. At least there's plenty of rad stuff, but then again I wouldn't be able to go to the beach. Maybe Santa Monica instead?
            Last edited by Shit Dickface; 09-10-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: asdf
            "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
            *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

It'd be a lot easier to choose a major city that isn't sprawled out. One guy at the The AV Club said he wanted to be in LA during the mid 80s around the Sunset Strip.

Comment

Imperial Rome during its heydey. I'd want to be a patrician living on a huge estate with money to spend and servants to fuck. Again, pure hedonism.

I'll come up with more.

Comment

Seattle. 1987.

Get to be right in the middle of the exploding grunge scene. Get to possibly see Green River.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Was that a band or do you mean the serial killer?

Plus going from 87-92 means you will not have to deal with Cobain offing himself.

Essecentially, Rob becomes a member of CITIZEN DICK.

So far, I'm leaning towards NYC 74-79. True cultural explosion while the city teeters on bankrupcy. Sure, I'd be worried about getting mugged and possibly stabbed. But all the fuckin you could want.

Although, I'm not crazy about the beard thing. Hmmm.

Comment

Let's see.

Boston 1917-1922: Get Spanish Flu and die.

Miami 1979-1984: Get caught up in the Cocaine trade. Chainsaw'd to death by the Colombians and die.

San Dimas 1989-1994: Find two local youths with a phone booth. Train them to be my cross-time assassins.

My answer would have to be San Dimas.
                      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

I've got to warn you about San Dimas. Outside of the water park, there is NOTHING to do and it'll be hot as hell.

Comment

I've got to warn you about San Dimas. Outside of the water park, there is NOTHING to do and it'll be hot as hell.

I can handle heat and loose Valley bitches. What's the pot connection like?
                          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

San Dimas isn't in The Valley (Where I am), San Dimas is WAY the fuck out in the San Gabreial Valley, going towards San Bernardino. It's subrurban and dry as all hell.

Comment

One guy at the The AV Club said he wanted to be in LA during the mid 80s around the Sunset Strip.
                              That would actually be pretty rad. I'll go with that. And getting to fuck Exene Cervenka when she wasn't all kinda frumpy.
                              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Working...
                              X