Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Creative Drive

QUESTIONS!

I'm gradually getting back to writing on the reg, and while it feels good there are just some times where I don't want to do a thing. I know it's not one of those things you can force (even if you're Ari), and you sort of have to find your element, but it's still a pain in the ass to feel idle.

I even get great ideas, forget to write them down, and wind up screwing around instead of at least documenting them. I cranked out three pages last night, which was great, but I ended up hitting a wall.

What do y'all creative types do to get the spark going?
    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Honestly? I need to be miserable to do it. It fucking sucks.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Drinking's good.

Sex is better.

Picking a fight is best of all!

Comment

but if I'm drinking, fucking, and fighting I don't have any free hands to write
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~

Comment

I can't paint if I'm happy. I can't write if I'm happy. I can't do most shit if I'm happy. Everything just feels forced. And it doesn't help that I was a miserable person for 15+ years. As soon as I get happy (see Lesley coming into the picture) my creative output = null (minus the podcasts and shit)
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

But what has helped me in the past is listening to music, smoking (although according to everyone I know I'm a weird stoner as I tend to get crazy motivated) or even meditating.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Meatdrapes View Post
              Honestly? I need to be miserable to do it. It fucking sucks.
              This is me, exactly. I don't write nearly like I used to because I stay incredibly miserable and I don't want to be a drunk writer. I bought a new moleskin, and I've written here and there as the moment strikes. I used to write a lot until I was about 23, and I never forced creative writing. I could crank out a report or a discussion on a subject without trying, but creative writings I let come on their own. If I have to sit down at a computer, it won't work. That's why I always kept a small pad and pen on me. I could write hard for a few days, then not touch it again for a month.

Comment

I've had a creative block with my painting and art in general for over seven years now. For more than seven years, I think I've done about seven pieces of artwork. I used to do about three paintings a week. Then when my brother was diagnosed with cancer - I can't describe it. It's not like I lost the interest, or didn't want to paint anymore - I want to paint every day. I think the best way to describe it is that it's like I could never paint at all in the first place. I tried everything - sitting around in front of the canvas, just splashing paint on it to see what came out of my brain - nothing. It would just turn into a mess. And before that, a lot of my best work came out of just fucking around in front of the canvas, or out of mistakes - having a painting go completely wrong, and then just playing with it. And now I can't even do that. I've had full tubes of paint just dry up from me not doing anything.

My mother tries to help - she always says, "Do it in honor of your brother!" And I said, "Mom, I don't know how much plainer I can put this. I haven't stopped painting because I'm depressed that we lost Bri. And it's not that I don't want to paint - I look at my art supplies every day and want to do it. But it's like I was never able to paint to begin with - it's a total creative block." It's like - I've never been able to play music, okay? So if you handed me a guitar, I wouldn't know what to do with it. THAT'S what it's like when I'm in front of a canvas anymore. It's like the paintings I've already created were done by someone else. It's a total complete creative block, and I don't know how to undo it. And the handful of paintings I've done since late 2002 just look like shit - they're nothing I'm proud of. So, I don't know how to fix it. I'd love to, but I just don't know how to break through it.

Actually, one of the things that George and I have in common is that he's a wonderful artist - his stuff is really good. And when I showed him my artwork, which is all around in the 9"x12" or 11"x14" size, he said, "You have to bust out onto bigger canvases. That's what I think." My stuff is all abstract, and he said, "This is great stuff, but it belongs in a big size. You're going to feel freer that way, and moving around a bigger canvas is going to make you feel less restricted." I haven't tried it yet, because I just don't have room in my apartment. But he's probably right - it sounds like a great idea.
                Last edited by Lisa; 04-21-2010, 02:58 PM.
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Yeah, I'm not gonna bitch too much compared to what most artists go through - at least with writing you can sorta fake it 'till you make it and there's always some sort of inspiration/interaction you can use. Painting/sculpting is so immediate and visual that I can't really imagine how most people just throw themselves into it and make it happen.

~

Comment

Being pissed at the world usually works for me. If you can't get there, go shooping & ask the idiots @ the store questions. Sheer ineptitude is infuriating.
                    Last edited by B_Metal; 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM. Reason: iPhone is lame
                    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I usually look at other people who have come before me and done it better, and try to distill the whys and wherefores for their work's successes and try to take a few nuggets of suggestion from that.

Or I try to immerse myself in photos, art blogs, and music until something strikes.

And really, even if there is just a passing thought/concept/moment of idiocy that piques my interest, I've started in on making it a habit of writing it down (whether on my phone when moving around throughout the day, or a scrap of paper, or on the com-pew-tar).

No matter how much I doubt it as anything to build upon, there's a certain amount of creative linkage that begins to formulate in my shitferbrains brain.

Dunno if that at all helps, but it's great to hear you're getting the bug again.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

I can admit this as well. I wasn't trying to be a writer for the sake of the sanctity of the written word, or any kind of shit like that. I was always pretty talented in school with my writing assignments, and I had a great imagination. I wanted to write, and be a writer, because I wanted to do something I loved...and get muthafuckin PAID. I wanted to write a fulfilling book that was personal, but genre busting, got onto Oprah's bookclub, optioned for big money, and got me fucking rich. Once I realized that wasn't happening my writing slowed down considerably.

Comment

I think the last really good painting I did - albeit a scary one - was one that I did about a month after we found out my brother was sick. It's just black over white abstract, with the pattern scraped into it with a pallet knife. I posted it over at an art forum I used to go to, and the handful of comments were "Scary", "disturbing" and "turmoil." Then I got a PM from one woman at the board who said, "I don't know what's going on in your life right now, but it's clearly something. I'm a licensed therapist, and I just wanted you to know that if you ever need to talk to me about anything, you can always PM me." I never did, but oddly enough, that's probably the one painting - more so than any of my happier stuff - that inspired that many comments.
                          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Heavy metal gets me going. I'm serious. I don't know why it is, but heavy metal (the GOOD stuff, not just any old shit will do) just starts my creative juices flowing.

Still, I find that I lack the desire to sit in front of a computer and just write anymore...that's probably because I'm stuck in front of a computer for 8-9 hours every day.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            Originally posted by Martin
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Still, I find that I lack the desire to sit in front of a computer and just write anymore...that's probably because I'm stuck in front of a computer for 8-9 hours every day.
                              I have this problem too. I hate writing in a notebook after a while because my hand cramps and my handwriting is shit, so they both cancel each other out after a while.

~

Comment

Working...
                              X