No announcement yet.

Geek things you don't get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must be dumb as rocks because I apparently missed the anti gay stuff in the movie. Could someone clue me in? Mind you I went in with no knowledge of the GN as I'd never read it. I have it home now and will read it asap but up till now have not.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Rorschach is anti gay in both the GN and the movie. The Director's cut restores the 'Possibly homosexual? Must investigate further' line regarding Ozy.

Also, Ozy has a computer folder marked 'Boys' when Dan logs in with the Ramses II password. This reinforces the pedophilia - homosexuality thought process that is totally WRONG.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by B_MetalSucks View Post
        I must be dumb as rocks because I apparently missed the anti gay stuff in the movie. Could someone clue me in? Mind you I went in with no knowledge of the GN as I'd never read it. I have it home now and will read it asap but up till now have not.

Silhouette's murder
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by Judas Booth View Post
          Rorschach is anti gay in both the GN and the movie. The Director's cut restores the 'Possibly homosexual? Must investigate further' line regarding Ozy.

Also, Ozy has a computer folder marked 'Boys' when Dan logs in with the Ramses II password. This reinforces the pedophilia - homosexuality thought process that is totally WRONG.
          Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post
          Silhouette's murder
          I thought those things were more a comment on how society thinks about gay/lesbians than the movie saying "gays are bad." Also I never even noticed the boys folder so I guess I was not paying to much attention.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I fully admit that I may be overreaching on this point but also in a world where homosexuality is more or less better accepted (see the WWII victory kiss) ended up being morally bankrupt.
            We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
            - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You're also talking about 1985, though. Think of the fear out there of GAY CANCER.
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

In our world yes, but this one?
                We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hbarr View Post
                  In our world yes, but this one?

Yes, as well.
                  My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

Not communicated very efficiently. To me, the killing of Silhouette was more or less a random hate crime not indicative of how society viewed homosexuality. Like I said, in a world where 2 lesbians are photographed for the cover of LIFE during the victory celebration=way far more ahead than our world. Which made it crushing that such a world was then portrayed as morally bankrupt. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Edited to add: I never communicated with you much over at CHUD. Shame because I've enjoyed our back and forth over here.

Comment

We don't know how gays are treated in that world, though. Was the Life cover/Silhouette murder a game changer? We don't know, and that's not what this particular movie is about.

Comment

Not communicated very efficiently. To me, the killing of Silhouette was more or less a random hate crime not indicative of how society viewed homosexuality. Like I said, in a world where 2 lesbians are photographed for the cover of LIFE during the victory celebration=way far more ahead than our world. Which made it crushing that such a world was then portrayed as morally bankrupt. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Edited to add: I never communicated with you much over at CHUD. Shame because I've enjoyed our back and forth over here.

Well, the Silhouette V-J picture isn't a big triumph. Life snaps it by cosmic accident. Silhouette changed the course of history by grabbing that nurse and planting one.

Plus, Silhouette's murder is much later in the timeline. Somewhere between 1948-1950. I don't know the exact date, as she is still alive when Sally retires in 1950.

Comment

To me, it implies that the world was a LOT more accepting. Cover of LIFE magazine? That's freakin HUGE. Especially for the 40s.

Comment

To me, it implies that the world was a LOT more accepting. Cover of LIFE magazine? That's freakin HUGE. Especially for the 40s.

She gets the cover because she's a Minuteman. The lesbian thing is incidental and it's implied in the book's supplemental material that it gets used against the team.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULINE KAEL View Post
                              Well, the Silhouette V-J picture isn't a big triumph. Life snaps it by cosmic accident. Silhouette changed the course of history by grabbing that nurse and planting one.
                              Sure it was an accident BUT they ran it. That implies acceptance. No one in hell that pic would have made the cover of LIFE magazine otherwise.

Comment

Sure it was an accident BUT they ran it. That implies acceptance. No one in hell that pic would have made the cover of LIFE magazine otherwise.

Well, we never know if it makes the cover in that timeline. It gets taken and people know about it. But, we never know if it got greenlit.

Comment

Working...
                                X