Geek things you don't get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love you.

(in reference to Russ' post at the bottom of the previous page)
    We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I know, that really was pretty awesome.
      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• What annoys me is how over the last few years DC has done how many versions of the origin and claimed "OK. This is it!"
        Originally posted by Ari
        The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• Superman blows so very hard. Batman could be a knitting teacher and he'd still be more interesting than that flying fuck.

I wanna add to the list: Toy collecting. Yes, Ari, I'm looking at you. I don't get it.
          Last edited by Martin; 09-06-2011, 06:47 AM.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
            What annoys me is how over the last few years DC has done how many versions of the origin and claimed "OK. This is it!"

The Siegel and Shuster fight didn't start over night. The last ten years have been solid attempts to undercut them.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Geez. All the Superman hate. I always had a soft spot for the character myself. Yeah, most of the stories from pre-80's were kind of meh (so were Batman's until the 70's when Neal Adams and Dennis O'Neal took over), but I really liked the Man of Steel miniseries and subsequent works with John Byrne at the helm. His powers were scaled back quite a bit, Luthor was a cool, untouchable adversary, and there were a couple of moments were Darkseid, Brainiac, etc. were kicking Supes' ass on a regular basis. Some good stuff there.

As an avowed former toy collector, yeah, I don't know why I did it either. Still collect my Megos, and make some customs, too. Mostly because they were a neat touchstone to when I was a kid, and it gives me an excuse to use my art and design skills a bit.

Comment

• What I don't get is not opening the packaging. It's pure hoarding then. Or, it's very very long term investment.

As for Superman, he's as said before, difficult to write for.

Comment

• John Byrne's '86 reboot is still the best iteration of the origin. Disappointed that isn't the basis for Man of Steel. You can see why they're going for Birthright for the movie, but..Ehhhhh.
                  Originally posted by Ari
                  The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• At the time I was collecting figures, the marketplace was more lucrative, and you could make some nice scratch buying and reselling. Sadly, however, like comics, once everybody got their figures, there was no demand any more. I was lucky to wind up with only a small (relatively speaking) amount of figures in my closet that I'll ultimately get rid of (probably donate to Toys for Tots - the looks on the Marines when they see me hauling tons of figures to 'em is priceless).

Comment

• I have tons of shit boxed up, but at this point I just have a handful of things I really dig sitting around in my study. Half because I have a bunch of silly shit I don't want to look at, and half because I don't have the room for much stuff. Brittany wants me to get a nice glass case and start collecting the higher end busts and stuff that I dig, but that's a ways off.

Comment

• I'm in the same boat, Billy. What I'm planning to do, though is set up a display in my office closet once I get rid of the stuff I don't want anymore. That way, it's out of the way, and I just have to move the doors to show everything off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          I wanna add to the list: Toy collecting. Yes, Ari, I'm looking at you. I don't get it.
                          At least I open my stuff (for the most part).

As to why I do it? It makes me happy. I have fond memories of my childhood and toy collecting kinda takes those memories and transfers them into little plastic men & women.

Plus, it's better than my original hobby: collecting butter wrappers.

That shit got real greasy real fast.
                          Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                          John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

• Lol. Nice. At least you open them!

Comment

• I don't open the Star Wars stuff cause I like to think they are all trapped in clear carbonite and I am God.
                              Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                              John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

• Still don't get Dr. Who.

IT SUCKS.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X