New movies undeserving of their own thread 2: The Night It Came Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Us. I'll keep it no spoilers.

I liked it. But I did not love it. It is very good, but it feels like Peele had this realization of "oh fuck I have this whole audience that is open to horror movies now!" and went and made a primer slasher movies for people that never watched a slasher movie before. In the opening scene when the camera pushes onto the TV but leaves those four VHS boxes in view? I knew off the titles exactly where the movie was headed.

And there's a lot of that. Like Peele said "hey, you know what's going on. I know what's going on. But everyone else? It's their first time."

Ultimately what made me going from loving it to really liking it was how it lost its intimacy with how big the scope ended up becoming. It just lost some of the horror of the hour before.

Comment

• When I saw the movies he gave to Lupito to watch I have an idea of where it's going. I'm all for mainstream shit to get people into horror. The amount of money this thing is making assures even more horror movies to be made so there is that.

Bummer to hear that it's not as good as Get Out, but again, that was such a great flick it would be hard to follow that up. Here's hoping Jordan branches out further and maybe pulls some sci-fi shit (not including Twilight Zone).
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I saw that list, and honestly I didn't see all of the ties. I saw the list and read it as "well maybe Lupito isn't actually into horror either" kind of list. It's really damn good, don't get me wrong. I'll go into spoilers about where it kind of lost me.

Spoiler: Seriously, Us spoilers 
        About an hour or so into the movie the son has the question of how many other people have evil twins. They turn on the TV and realize why 911 has been busy. EVERYONE has a twin, and they're all killing their "above ground" version. And then perform hands across America. There's some vague talk of what this program was, but no real closure to it....but there's literally hundreds of millions of these people stretched across America and they killed so many people.

So that took away the intimacy and horror of it being this one family terrorized. But also despite EVERYONE having an evil twin, we only ever see the main family and Heidecker/Moss' family and their respective twins. Nobody killed their evil twins? In America? Where everyone has guns? Nobody survived and opened up on the hands across America docile evil twins? It just really lost me at that point. It wraps up really well, but that shit didn't work.

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N3J2k3Nhicw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• as much as I wanted this to be a series of short episodes that were separate from each other, that does look like it could be pretty neat.

Comment

• Yeah I really just wanted an anthology and not the Goosebumps movie for a slightly older generation.. at least the things seem like they might be good and creepy
              XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ETODnKFU3ys" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Looks awesome... but knowing Jarmusch this won't be the fast-paced comedy being advertised and there will be a lot of pissed off people walking out.
                  Originally posted by Ari
                  The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• So Taika Waititi is doing the live action Akira (totally forgot this was still happening). If there is one movie that doesn't need a live action version it's this one HOWEVER since we were going to get it anyways having Taika behind the wheel could be something special.

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mdMtnvMJcDA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                        I saw that list, and honestly I didn't see all of the ties. I saw the list and read it as "well maybe Lupito isn't actually into horror either" kind of list. It's really damn good, don't get me wrong. I'll go into spoilers about where it kind of lost me.

Spoiler: Seriously, Us spoilers 
                        About an hour or so into the movie the son has the question of how many other people have evil twins. They turn on the TV and realize why 911 has been busy. EVERYONE has a twin, and they're all killing their "above ground" version. And then perform hands across America. There's some vague talk of what this program was, but no real closure to it....but there's literally hundreds of millions of these people stretched across America and they killed so many people.

So that took away the intimacy and horror of it being this one family terrorized. But also despite EVERYONE having an evil twin, we only ever see the main family and Heidecker/Moss' family and their respective twins. Nobody killed their evil twins? In America? Where everyone has guns? Nobody survived and opened up on the hands across America docile evil twins? It just really lost me at that point. It wraps up really well, but that shit didn't work.
                        Us sucked.

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hdZiTQlzk4k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Neat to see Lobster Johnson, but holy shit does that look fucking TERRIBLE and cheap. Harbour sounds terrible the more he fucking talks.

Comment

• I will totally rent this at some point, but man I was hoping for a bit more closer to the comics and that's not it.

Comment

• Hellboy: Sausage Party.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X