Pacific Rim aka the Mecha vs Godzilla Fap Fap Thread. SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
    I'd say the character I enjoyed the most was Mako Mori. It helps that Kikuchi is probably giving the best performance in the film (I'm still waiting for the Elba movie crossover role), but I dug her story the most.

The lead character is fine, but Hunnam just made me think of a cut-rate Channing Tatum.
    I thought that the best actor in the film was the little girl who played the young Mako in the drift flashback. She was completely convincing.

As to Hunnam? I got him confused with the younger Aussie pilot all the time. They could have been twin brothers with relative ease.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    Originally posted by Martin
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Actually, yeah - the little girl was great.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• All right, here we go...

First, let me say that this movie is 30 minutes of hard core sex footage away from being a glimpse into the inner workings of Harry Knowles's mind. That is not comforting.

Second, the worst sin Pacific Rim commits is being boring. All the character work is just...eh. One hand, it was nice that this wasn't just another rehash of the Hero's Journey. On the other, everyone got a long so well (except for Rock Star Australian Guy and Down on His Luck Australian Guy) that it was dull watching them interact. There was no tension during any of the character parts so I just wasn't engaged.

As for the superior world building people are going on about, I didn't see it. I'll give you a for instance. It's 12 years of regular Godzilla attacks, right. So a) why weren't there ANY sea defenses set up and b) why are there any cities on the coast at all?

I know they were building a wall places, but where were the mounted guns? Jeager tech would've yielded several additional defenses, but there were none in the movie.

Also, why were there any coastal cities left? Yes, I know there was a throwaway line about rich people being evacuated, but after 12 years of attacks, there would be no industries left in any of the cities, and if there's no businesses there, people won't stay. Just look at Detroit (LOOK AT IT!!!); the city is slowly dying because people are leaving due to economics. That should be happening all over the place.

Visually, the movie was pretty great. It's just a shame that GdT wrote such a dull script.

Oh, two final thoughts....

Gipsy Danger (which would be an AMAZING name for an 80's heavy metal band), was supposedly analogue? Question: does anyone who made this movie have any idea what that means? Or is that jeager really nothing but vacumn tubes and levers.

Lastly, who's bright idea was it to suspend the pilots of these giant machines over meat grinder-esque gears? Seems like a band design. But hey ... what do I know.
        Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• It's a robots vs monster movie. Yes, there are plot holes, but holy shit you guys sure like to analyze that movie up to all details. The chainsword (Shake's right on the money on that one), the coastal cities, yep, kinda makes sense, but there wouldn't be a movie with them, and my inner 12 years old doesn't give a flying shit.

I guess, for that last question: why are people still living in Florida, New Orlean (a fucking bowl waiting to be flooded), California, or especially, Oklahoma City? I would still put rocket launchers, but wasn't it said that normal artillery took days to kill them?

Anyway, Thursday, I'm taking my son to see it. At 5, he'll go apeshit for it.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Good job Bryan. Ceej said the same thing about the "analogue" part. IT's not a terrible movie, just a boring one. Which is inexcusable in my opinion.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• What I would have changed the most? A better marketing campaign, and get a A-lister instead of the Son of Anarchy dude. The rest of the cast was fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                Russ: PR is worth seeing in the theater on the big screen. You'll be pissed if the first time that you see it is on blu ray. It has a definite WOW factor about it that honestly deserves the biggest presentation possible.
                Yep. And I know you hate Rob-O-Vision, the 3d was fucking AWESOME.
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                  I'd say the character I enjoyed the most was Mako Mori. It helps that Kikuchi is probably giving the best performance in the film (I'm still waiting for the Elba movie crossover role), but I dug her story the most.

Really? man, I thought she was the fucking WORST. I did love her flashback though, but besides that she brought everything to standstill when she was on screen for me.

I really like Hunnam or whatever, but he's just playing Jax from Sons in this (which weirdly, I LOVE SO MUCH). Same gait, speech pattern, etc.. Once Pearlman showed up I was hoping against hope that Peggy Bundy was going to have a quick cameo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    What I would have changed the most? A better marketing campaign, and get a A-lister instead of the Son of Anarchy dude. The rest of the cast was fine.
                    I'd get a better script or a better editor.

Comment

• anything not focusing on the fights or Charlie Day seemed to drag it down. The father/son shit? I honestly didn't realize they were father and son until like 3/4's through the movie. I thought he was just a prick that liked calling him "old man".

But I'm glad that a bunch of you really enjoyed it. I hope to give it another watch on blu and will hopefully see the things you are mentioning. I think I was just wanting more PUNCHING ROBOTS and didn't get it.

Comment

• You know, I actually liked the story when things were not punching. The world building felt textured, real.

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          You know, I actually liked the story when things were not punching. The world building felt textured, real.
                          For the most part I'd agree with you. My problem is when things weren't getting the shit punched out of them (which is the first 3rd of the movie), there was nothing engaging to me. And that's all script problems.

Unlike the P Movie (THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED), I didn't feel like this movie was insulting my intelligence the whole time. There just wasn't any conflict during the character parts, thus no drama, ergo no interest.
                          Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• The world building was so sporadic though in my opinion. The first 15 mins, and then random shit said that never really went anywhere. If this gets a sequel (which it has to) I'll be on it because now we've established the boring bullshit that is the same in every movie of this kind and they can expand on the awesomeness.

Comment

• I'm afraid that it won't get a sequel. Fuck, if fucking Clash of the Titans got a sequel, this deserves it.

Comment

• Pacific Rim 2: The Return of Hannibal Chau (and the quest for his shoe)

Comment

Working...
                                X