No announcement yet.

Star Trek: The Star Trek Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blame? Isn't it still making money, just not as much as they'd hoped?
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Its under-performing here and over-performing overseas. But Star Trek always makes its nut stateside and the foreign numbers aren't "Ermahgerd" huge. Just the 3D/IMAX bumps talking. No way Into Darkness matches the $260M gross of the reboot.

At this rate, it will do $190-$200M ish. Paramount will probably drag it to the latter just to save face to label it a blockbuster, a la Superman Returns. Trek 3 will happen but someone is getting fired.
      Originally posted by Ari
      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• I just think that they scheduled it at a shitty time. There's too much competition for it to be THE FILM THAT MUST BE SEEN.
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Okay...

It is, indeed, a looker. There's enough action/spectacle packed in for 3 blockbusters, never mind one.

There is much to love about this cast, most of whom get plenty of nice showcase moments.

When the film starts to work, it comes tantalizingly close to becoming a proper reboot, something that takes what it wants from the source while forging its own path.

But it never really sustains that because of its dependance on what's come before. In fact, to someone familiar with Trek, it felt like more of a re-make than a re-boot at times.

I enjoyed it as it was unfolding, I think, largely because I had to accept early on that this is a movie made by people more interested in having all these huge climactic moments without earning them with the proper buildup. The breathless BANG BANG BANG pace becomes monotonous because, no matter how many spectacular battles (or stand-offs or final breath moments or whatever) you pack in, none of them count for an awful lot if they're not justified.

In other words, if this film were a song, it would be structured as follows:

Chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus-chorus.

As opposed to:

Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus.

I got pretty tired of the dizzying chases and over-abundance of tears because it was all so overwrought by a certain point. Everyone is in such a constant state of hyper-anxiety and emotional distress that there's no rhythm or nuance, only CRASH BANG WALLOP (pause for tears) BA-BOOM!

It's bright, noisy, and occasionally fun and diverting. But a muddled plot, almost total lack of subtlety and emotional complexity, and a story that plays it safe by re-mixing the greatest hits makes this a 3 star movie at best - possibly a 2 star movie depending on your mood at the time.
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• About to see this at 815. I've stayed out of this thread but its been spoiled for me. Just hope its pretty.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• What the fuck was that shit?

Comment

• Exactly.
                Visit my blog! BMichaelKrol.Wordpress.com Leave vulgar comments!

Twitter.com/bmkrol

Comment

• Well, I didn't hate it. But it wasn't great, just so uneven and sloppy.
                  Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

• I'm dreading the possibility that I'll love this because statistically I tend to love what everyone says is shit.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• You still haven't seen it!? Oh I think you'll like it, Rob.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                        I'm dreading the possibility that I'll love this because statistically I tend to love what everyone says is shit.
                        You're not a huge Trek guy, right? If so, you'll probably enjoy it. I don't think I can watch the first one anymore. That universe is ruined for me. The Abrams one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                          I'm dreading the possibility that I'll love this because statistically I tend to love what everyone says is shit.
                          It's one of the prettiest sci-fi movies out there. And you'll probably be a few beers in before you see it. You'll enjoy it fine.

Comment

• Again, it works on a visceral 'shit blows up great' level. It's mainly the story itself that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              It's mainly the story itself that doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
                              You mean "doesn't hold up if you have two synapses capable of popping."

Comment

• not a fan. at all.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X