John Carter (of Mars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
    To clarify: The whole Rotten Tomatoes thing doesn't matter to me, as that is some mathematical aggregate of an opinion on the film and not my own. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on it. I am not bandwaggoning the "franchise is dead" thing. That just sucks.
    I just envy Matt's optimism in regards to Carter. IF we do see another one, it won't be for some time or it'll be alot, alot, alot, smaller budget.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
      It's aged awesomely. Like a fine wine. We just watched it last week. Still fucking rocks. haters gonna hate.
      Well, I've turned on the film. I liked it when I was 16, but now it just comes across as a juvenile, brash mess with some decent looking shots in. Watching Chris Tucker in this is like being shouted out by a New Jersey skank. Deeply unpleasant.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Tucker is one of the best parts.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• As Armond White would say, "The Falstaff of my generation."
          Last edited by Captain Russ; 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM. Reason: Not at ALL registered with even a HINT of sarcasm. *wink*
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
            I just envy Matt's optimism in regards to Carter. IF we do see another one, it won't be for some time or it'll be alot, alot, alot, smaller budget.
            It will never be done. The stigma surrounding this film's financial loss will linger for decades. It's a shame, really.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• And going back to THE FIFTH ELEMENT: I will totally agree that Milla is smoking hot in it.
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                Well, I've turned on the film. I liked it when I was 16, but now it just comes across as a juvenile, brash mess with some decent looking shots in. Watching Chris Tucker in this is like being shouted out by a New Jersey skank. Deeply unpleasant.
                You've been to Seaside Heights then? Why didn't you call me? I'd have bought you some suds, son!

Anywho, Ben ain't wrong. Tucker did evoke a pastiche of Seaside, Pt. Pleasant, and Belmar femininity, with elements of Lodi thrown in. The flick itself is splashy as hell, and the story could use a lot of punching up. Still, Willis, Oldman, Milla, etc. did some pretty neat stuff with what they had to work with, so this remains a guilty pleasure for me.

Back on track, I gotta side with Rob and Matt - no way in Barsoom will we see any more JC stuff, certainly not by Disney, after all this. Again, a shame, as I did enjoy the film, warts and all, and am still a fan of the source material.

Wonder if it would've done better as an animated feature, maybe old school Disney style?

Comment

• Stanton should have just done a kickass Pixar flick instead. Especially since so much of it was CG to begin with. The whole project just reeks of poor decisions.

Comment

• I think the film would have been wider seen by the people that apparently are scared of the word 'Mars' (Andrew Stanton came off as an over-privileged, pandering prick on Mark Kermode's show when discussing this point) if the advertising had included the title, John Carter of Mars AND acknowledged both the historic significance of the source materials in literature and sci-fi, as well as suggesting that, 'every modern space opera you've liked? Well, this is where it came from'.
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                      I think the film would have been wider seen by the people that apparently are scared of the word 'Mars' (Andrew Stanton came off as an over-privileged, pandering prick on Mark Kermode's show when discussing this point) if the advertising had included the title, John Carter of Mars AND acknowledged both the historic significance of the source materials in literature and sci-fi, as well as suggesting that, 'every modern space opera you've liked? Well, this is where it came from'.
                      THIS. Stanton's biggest mistake was assuming the general public already knew who John Carter was, much like folks know about Batman, Dracula, Darth Vader, etc. Carter doesn't have the same kind of cred in popular culture that Stanton thought he did, and I'm saying that as a fan.

Lack of merchandising sort of helped fuck things up from a "hearts and minds" standpoint, too. I'd kill for a stuffed, plush Woola.

Comment

• I don't even think Stanton's to blame completely - he's just following party lines. I agree that this looks to be a really bad case of a film made by committee. And I haven't even seen it.

Comment

• See it, Ben. There are many stunning visual elements to it that play amazingly well on a big screen. Also, Lynn Collins is fucking HOT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Also, Lynn Collins is fucking HOT.
                            This is the part that I'm most interested in.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I really can't stand the thought of watching Taylor Kitsch for 2+ hours, sorry.

Comment

• Watch him in the Friday Night Lights TV show. It might change your mind. It changed mine.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X