True Grit with Jeff Bridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt View Post
    Liked it but didn't love it. I'm still processing why I didn't fall head over heels for it.

Of note:
    - One of the single best looking films that I've ever seen. Glorious cinematography.
    - Great acting across the board, especially from Hailee Steinfeld (sp?). She deserves a best ACTRESS nomination, but she'll probably have to settle for best SUPPORTING actress. That's ridiculous, as she's in every scene in the film.

I think that my issue with the film has to do with the pacing and the action, or lack thereof. I don't mind slow movies, especially if the story being told is a good one (and this IS a good one), but it felt a little too deliberately slow in places. Also, I really think that it needed at least one more action set piece. They were in Indian territory, so they really should have had some sort of Indian confrontation or attack to deal with. I never got the sense of dread or foreboding from the setting that I feel would have elevated the DANGER DANGER element of the film.

My 2 cents. It's definitely a winner and worth seeing in the theater, especially for the cinematography.
    They shot it like an RKO Western in the modern era with very few trappings. In relation to the novel, it's almost an exact translation.

My only slight beef with the film is that Brolin didn't get a lot to do.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Yeah, Brolin felt like an extended cameo, nothing more. Hell, Barry Pepper had more to do than Brolin did.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Really want to go see this today, but the thought of leaving the house......uuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
          My only slight beef with the film is that Brolin didn't get a lot to do.
          Aaaah, shit. Oh, well - despite that, I do still want to see it. And for me, wanting to see a Western, that's saying a lot.
          2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

I saw it. I liked it- didnt love it either. Gave it a good not a great. I wanted to love it though. I do like westerns. The first 15 minutes of it the acting reminded me of watching a play- how everything is overacted when you are on the stage.

Comment

I know what you mean, Cass. You have to get used to the way that the dialog is presented/performed, and it DID take about 15 minutes or so to accomplish that. Once you've 'got' it, the pentameter goes by just fine.
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Working...
              X