This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sex Drive > Hot Rod.
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
      Funny People is funnier than Hot Rod and Pineapple Express. And Tropic Thunder and I Love You, Man. It's also fresher and more ambitious than all of them bar P.E. I'll grant you that it was long but I actually found the comedy/drama ratio really interesting (and how many times can we say that of modern comedies?) Also, nice work from Mann, Bana, Hill, Sandler, and Schwartzman.
      Did we watch the same movie? Hot Rod and Pineapple Express both shit all over Funny People. A comedy needs to be funny throughout, not just in the first 20 mins.

Schwartzman played himself essentially, Mann was Mann again, Hill didn't really do anything for me, Bana was GREAT though, Sandler was better in Punch Drunk Love. Aziz needed more screen time, they needed to get rid of the boring as fuck drama shit relating to Mann/Sandler and focus on the aspects of standup.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Sex Drive > Hot Rod.
        Not even close, however if you were to say

James Marsden in Sex Drive > Hot Rod then it would be closer....
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• THUNDERDOME! THUNDERDOME!

Comment

• haha, also opinions are like assholes, we all have one.

Comment

• but srs guise, funny people sucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                but srs guise, funny people sucked.
                No Neil Hamburger = fuck you, Apatwat.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I'm not sure how to respond to that. Are you saying that not having Samm Levine in the movie was wrong?

Comment

• Neil Hamburger ain't F&G Neil.

He's an alt-comic. And he's fucking brilliant.

But yes, leaving out Samm is bullshit. He should have been in Rogen's role.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

Sex Drive > Hot Rod.
                      TRUTH
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                        Neil Hamburger ain't F&G Neil.

He's an alt-comic. And he's fucking brilliant.

oh, derp. my bad.

Comment

• It'd be great if it were Neil and his dummy on-stage at some point, and it got really fucking dark, talking about his philandering dad and his parents' sham marriage, and he just went insane in the end, taking George with him to hell.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• GOD YES.

Comment

• Funny People needed to get rid of all of that fucking cancer bullshit and just focus on stand up. The behind the scenes shit with prop comics, up and comers, old timers, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                                Did we watch the same movie?
                                Hot Rod is sporadically funny at best; it's so average and devoid of the magic people insist it has that, had I seen it before the hype started to build, I'd have expected it to slip straight into (deserved) obscurity. Only McShane is truly memorable and even he isn't in it enough to elevate the film beyond middling.

People, this is an Isla Fisher movie I don't care for!

Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                                Not even close, however if you were to say

James Marsden in Sex Drive > Hot Rod then it would be closer....
                                Marsden is the ace, certainly, but you've still got Clark Duke firing on all cylinders (and a fine Seth Green cameo.) Even if Duke is playing his usual role, that was before it became one of those "not again!" performances and it's written & played well enough for the familiarity not to matter (unlike in Hot Tub.) That's what I don't understand about Hot Rod, Pineapple, etc. Those movies are every bit as routine and archetypal as Sex Drive in a lot of ways, yet they get these huge reputations because of a lot of lazy, faux-"quirky" attempts at surreal/zany humour. Whereas a simple but charming movie like Sex Drive is all but forgotten about.

Hot Rod/Pineapple et al's problem is the same as a lot of rock bands' right now. Their influences are their main selling points; in lieu of a strong personal voice (and consistent, genuine laughs) they recycle/combine a weaker version of recognized greats. The sum ends up being quite a bit less than the sum of its parts, even with people like Hader and McBride rounding out the casts.
                                "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                                X