Best Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Albums

I know in this age of I-Tunes many of you young'uns don't even know what an "album" is. See, back in the day, musicians released collections of songs on ye olde fashioned mediums such as CD's, tapes & vynil records, every so often. Some were very cohesive, even to the point of telling a story thru the collected songs (those were called "concept albums").

Every so often, one such album came along that was, in evolutionary terms, a favorable mutation, in that it stood head & shoulders above its brethren in quality. Some were just really good collections of great songs, some were game changers in their sub-genres and beyond, influencing much of what came after.

For those of you old or savvy enough to get this concept, can you name some of the albums you think fit this category? Mine would include (in no particular order, except the 1st entry):

1. "Dark Side of the Moon", Pink Floyd. It's the best selling rock album of all time for 30+ years for a REASON.

2. "Synchronicity", The Police. As if "Every Breath You Take", "King of Pain" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger" on the same album weren't enough, it's also got the title tracks (particularly Part II), "Walking In Your Footsteps", "Murder By Numbers", etc. Tracks that typify 80's rock.

3. "Master of Puppets", Metallica. Quite possibly the best heavy metal album of all time.

4. "Number of the Beast" Iron Maiden. The Title track & "Run to the Hills" would probably be enough, but it's also got "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "22 Acacia Avenue", "Invaders", "The Prisoner", and "Children of the Damned". My head exploded the 1st time I heard this album. Took months to put it back together, and pieces are reportedly still being found in Mom's living room. A game changer for sure.

5. "Business as Usual" Men at Work. Say what you will about these guys, they had a unique sound that clicked with Americans in a BIG way. When it was released in 83, this album was HUGE. Can't say they influenced anyone that I know of, because no one's ever tried (to my knowledge) to replicate their unique, quirky sound.

I'm sure there's more I'll add later, but I'm on my way out for a court appearance, and kind of rushing. Can't wait to see what you all add to the list.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

I'd add the following:

The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and "The White Album" - both albums were game changers musically and songwriting wise for the band, and indeed inspired many, many other bands, songwriters, and performers during and since to experiment take risks, etc. with the music. How it's played, how it's written, how it's interpreted, and so on.

More to come!

Comment

NaS - Illmatic
      Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
      Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
      Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

The Who - Who's Next
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Patti Smith "Horses" - if you have to ask, I sadly shake my head. She is woman, hear her roar.

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" - oh, MAN. Wonderful, wonderful, and innovative jazz, from the master himself. I'd also throw in "Bitches Brew" as well.

Replacements "Hootenanny" and "Let it Be" - again, both great albums, both showing Westerberg and crew getting their shit together musically, and inspiring other bands like Nirvana, Green Day, etc. Also would throw "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me" into the mix as well (c'mon, "Alex Chilton"? How can anyone not like that song? I'm in love... with that song.).

Comment

Comment

It just makes me...

Comment

I second Wu-Tang's and DK's : Give me Convenience but I much prefer DK's: Plastic Surgery Disasters

Nirvana: Incesticide
                The Prodigy: Music for the Jilted Generation
                David Bowie: Earthling
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                  Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" - oh, MAN. Wonderful, wonderful, and innovative jazz, from the master himself. I'd also throw in "Bitches Brew" as well.
                  APPROVED! Freddie Freeloader is sooooo good.

I'd also like to throw in;

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm; great album all the way through
                  The Bravery - The Bravery; another really well put together album
                  Mobb Deep - The Infamous; raw hip hop, grimey, greatness
                  Metallica - Ride the Lightning; their first effort so fucking good
                  Dr. Dre - The Chronic; the definition of West Coast Gangster Rap, on constant rotation.
                  Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

UGK - Ridin' Dirty; Definitive Houston rap album, and in the opinion of a lot more than myself the greatest rap album ever. Jay-Z still rips off lyrics from it.

Faith No More - Angel Dust; Do I need to explain this one? If so, sit in time out.

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction; A lot of people will pick Rust In Peace or Peace Sells... as the quintessential Megadeth album, but for me it remains Countdown. There's thrash-a-plenty to go around while also allowing Dave's song writing to come to the forefront without being hidden behind "sick guitar solo!" mentality. Oh, but Marty Friedman's guitar solos are indeed sick as fuck.

The Beatles - Abbey Road; By far my favorite Beatles album. The medley might be my favorite thing The Beatles ever did. The giggle on Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a cherished impromptu moment caught on wax (see Iggy, not all of us are that old).

Nirvana - Bleach; This has become my favorite Nirvana album over time (aside from Unplugged) partially because of the dreaded and stereotypical raw descriptor. Nevermind had money behind it, and you can hear it. It produced some incredible songs, really the whole album, but Bleach has an energy I don't think was captured again until Unplugged. When my kid or niece of nephew wants to know why Cobain and Nirvana was so important I'm starting with this album.

Led Zepplin - IV; Stairway. Levee. Evermore. Obvious.

Comment

Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile

Say what you will about the other albums, this 2 disc set is both haunting and beautiful and shows a maturity that the other albums don't.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

YES. I read some bullshit the other day saying it would be better cut in half. Fucking nonsense. The Fragile is THE Nine Inch Nails album.

Comment

*nailsfist*

That album and the live dvd are FUCKING AMAZING. Cutting it in half would be the stupidest thing ever.

Comment

"La Mer" is probably one of my favorite songs ever.

Comment

Shit I'm going home and putting on the DVD while I cook tonight. La Mer is so, so, so good. The Fragile is great when you get stuck in traffic or know you have a long drive ahead of you. Just put it on and roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X