Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentaries: The epic thread of interesting ones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
    Also on HBOMax, watched the '70 concert film they made of Elvis, "That's The Way It Is."

It was so weird to see him in technicolor. I've never really been caught up in that cult of personality, but here they really found some electric moments to showcase what made him such a singular performer (and either hilariously placed stock scream sounds in for his female fans or it was the origin point of said hilarious stock scream sounds).

It was fluff and not nearly as fly on the wall as something like The Last Waltz, but it still found small moments to record that gave an in to the muttonchopped human behind the monolithic image.

That doc was made in the early 70s to get him out of a contract. It was rather slapdash and meant to cash in on the limelight of the style that Woodstock brought to cinemas earlier in the year.

But, Presley didn't want to make it and they had to fight to keep the Sweet Inspirations featured in the movie.

Elvis's team only ended up celebrating the movie, because they could use it as a feature film promo reel for his Vegas shows.

It ended up boosting tourism to Vegas to a point where it helped start the process of getting rid of the mob and make it more into a tourist trap.

I love talking about this shit and never know how to approach it casually.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• I think you've found you in.

I only have cursory knowledge on Vegas history so that's interesting to hear the specifics behind it.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Class Action Park on HBOMax was pretty fucking entertaining. I've heard nothing but horror stories about that place from family and friends who have been and of course that Johnny Knoxville movie sort of based on it, but hearing first hand from people was crazy.

Super interesting and totally worth checking out if you can.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• There is a newer D.B. Cooper doc I watched on HBO Max this weekend. One of my favorite conspiracies ever. Great doc as well.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
            There is a newer D.B. Cooper doc I watched on HBO Max this weekend. One of my favorite conspiracies ever. Great doc as well.
            The part where so many claiming to be Cooper at death tells you how big a deal that was.
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• We watched Crazy, Not Insane on HBO Max. Documentary about a psychiatrist that really popularized the idea of disassociation in murderers, and often multiple personalities. Really fascinating, and at the end she is like oh and by the way, I talked with Ted Bundy a bunch and have these secret tapes. His story about growing up in a perfect family and being a choir boy is bullshit. Which is interesting, but the best part is interviewing an executioner in Louisiana. Scariest dude in the whole documentary.

Comment

• Gonna need to check that one out. We finished the Heaven's Gate doc on HBO Max. So fucking interesting and I wish there was more about the people that made it out as they were super interestinf.

Comment

• I'm not sure if this is actually banned, but based on what is in it I could see Disney doing it. This was super interesting in regards to how the movie The Emperor's New Groove was created. Sting seems like a cool dude.

Comment

• There's a great, great documentary on the Bee Gees right now on HBO. HOW DO YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART. Really first rate stuff. You don't need to be a fan of the band to enjoy it. Entertaining and educational about songwriting and music production. Very recommended.
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• The Ripper on Netflix about the Yorkshire Ripper in the 70/80s. A few episodes on and after really pumping up the police response they're like "and five years later with no leads, here is how they fucked up the whole investigation" and it's awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                        The Ripper on Netflix about the Yorkshire Ripper in the 70/80s. A few episodes on and after really pumping up the police response they're like "and five years later with no leads, here is how they fucked up the whole investigation" and it's awesome.
                        That sounds interesting as shit. I'll have to give it a go.
                        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• The Last Blockbuster - really fun doc about the rise and fall of Blockbuster Video. Recommend it if you're into that sort of thing.

Wolfman's Got Nards - another really fun doc about The Monster Squad. Man I feel bad for Fred Dekkar.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                            The Ripper on Netflix about the Yorkshire Ripper in the 70/80s. A few episodes on and after really pumping up the police response they're like "and five years later with no leads, here is how they fucked up the whole investigation" and it's awesome.
                            Jesus did they ever fuck that investigation up. Good recommendation Billiam

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post

Jesus did they ever fuck that investigation up. Good recommendation Billiam
                              Incredible right?!

Comment

• Incredible indeed. Those dudes put literally zero thought into that investigation from the jump. It was nuts. Really well done documentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X