Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERMINATOR GENISYS

Not that bad. It's enjoyable in much the same way that a candy bar is enjoyable.

Oddly enough, Jai Courtney is one of the best things about the film. If you completely divorce Michael Biehn from your mind and accept this iteration of Kyle Reese, he's actually really solid in it. He certainly fares better than Emilia Clarke...she's completely unconvincing in this: bad acting on top of the fact that she's flat out NOT a badass, something that is absolutely essential to the character of Sarah Connor.

Arnold? Yeah, he's great. Lots of fun to be had with him.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
      Exists. A hybrid found footage film, some of it was shot like a normal movie. That, coupled with the filmmakers' fortitude in resisting the "boredom as tension" trope, actually made this watchable. There was very little preliminary fucking around. They got to the meat of the film fairly quickly. And while the idea that all the stuff that was found footage would actually have been recorded under those circumstances applies here as much as it does in any found footage flick, it was shot clearly and in focus, for the most part. It seems like they added things like awkward angles and tumbling perspectives more as an accent to the "regular" footage, to make it "seem" like actual found footage. Perhaps not very realistic, but far more enjoyable. You don't have to strain too hard to see or hear what's going on. Was it the best movie ever? Hardly. But it may have been the most enjoyable found footage movie I've seen since I saw Blair Witch in the theater, with all the attendant hype adding to the experience, and found footage still a new thing.
      I meant to add when I first posted this, that this isn't saying much.

Later that night I watched Edge of Tomorrow. Groundhog Day + Aliens x 5%The Matrix Trilogy = Live, Die, Repeat. I enjoyed this. Probably more for the premise and the action scenes than anything else. Cruise's acting wasn't particularly memorable, and no one else in the cast was really given a whole lot to do, acting wise.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Love EDGE OF TOMORROW. I've seen it three times now and it only gets better and better for me. I'd say that it's a modern sci fi classic, and it's probably an all-timer for me: a film that I'll revisit for the rest of my life and enjoy.
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
          TERMINATOR GENISYS

Not that bad. It's enjoyable in much the same way that a candy bar is enjoyable.

Oddly enough, Jai Courtney is one of the best things about the film. If you completely divorce Michael Biehn from your mind and accept this iteration of Kyle Reese, he's actually really solid in it. He certainly fares better than Emilia Clarke...she's completely unconvincing in this: bad acting on top of the fact that she's flat out NOT a badass, something that is absolutely essential to the character of Sarah Connor.

Arnold? Yeah, he's great. Lots of fun to be had with him.
          Simmons was the MVP.
          Originally posted by Ari
          The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• The Purge: Anarchy. I LIKED this. haters gon' hate because of the implausibility of the basic premise, but if you can get past that, this is a great little thriller. Action packed, there's never a dull moment. And you have to admire how balls out insane it is. They just WENT for it with the audacity of some of the situations they put our hapless protagonists in, and the utter insanity of the purge centered economy and politics. I wouldn't say this on FB, but part of me thinks some shit like this is totally possible if some of the right wing extremists seeking power in this country ever actually get it. But I can tell YOU guys, and you won't judge me, amirite? I don't really want to see another entry in the series, though because they'd probably follow that rebellion story line to its logical conclusion, and end the series on a "happy" note. Which would be a crime you couldn't even commit on Purge night. These films are almost unrelentingly grim, with but the faintest glimmers of goodness and hope evident. And I for one want them to stay that way.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
              Simmons was the MVP.
              He had very little screentime, though.

Comment

• JURASSIC WORLD- yeah, I guess it was kind of a big dumb action movie but I have to think some of the negative reviews were because people hold the first movie in such high regard. Really the only thing that bothered me about this one was Pratt's vaguely southern accent that only appeared once in a while. And if you can't at least enjoy when they let the raptors loose I feel for you because that was fuckin' RAD.

Comment

• All of that. But my wife nailed it when she said the basic premise of every movie is exactly the same, with different species of dino being the only difference between films. I can't imagine them making yet another of these unless they do something RADICALLY different in terms of plot.

Comment

• Blacula. I DVR'd this on an impulse in March and finally got around to watching it. I haven't seen this since I was like 9, and it was WOR TV. If "Shaft" is a towering monument to Blaxploitation, this is the scary dungeon buried beneath it. Casual racism, sexism, and homophobia abounded. Chris O. and his film school brethren would have conniptions watching this. Terrible acting, bad creature effects. But it was so over the top, it elevates itself to so-bad-it's-good status with stuff like the Richard Roundtree wannabe male lead, the overly dramatic "I curse you" speech Drac gives at the beginning before imprisoning Blac in the coffin, the supa cool 70's funkadelic soundtrack, and the cheesy device of adding truly killer mutton chops and big bushy eyebrows to Blac whenever he vamped out and attacked someone. Because we all know facial hair means evil, amirite? All that having been said, the scene in the morgue when the female cab driver reanimates and comes running down the hall at the coroner was very well done. That could actually be described as scary, even if nothing else in the film was. Even the animated title sequence, with the inappropriate meme of a giant bat chasing and attacking female silhouettes around a maze was entertaining, making you think "I shouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am." 70's filmmaking doesn't get much better than this.

Comment

All of that. But my wife nailed it when she said the basic premise of every movie is exactly the same, with different species of dino being the only difference between films. I can't imagine them making yet another of these unless they do something RADICALLY different in terms of plot.
                      Which is why the Dino-Commando thing was awesome.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Blacula. I DVR'd this on an impulse in March and finally got around to watching it. I haven't seen this since I was like 9, and it was WOR TV. If "Shaft" is a towering monument to Blaxploitation, this is the scary dungeon buried beneath it. Casual racism, sexism, and homophobia abounded. Chris O. and his film school brethren would have conniptions watching this. Terrible acting, bad creature effects. But it was so over the top, it elevates itself to so-bad-it's-good status with stuff like the Richard Roundtree wannabe male lead, the overly dramatic "I curse you" speech Drac gives at the beginning before imprisoning Blac in the coffin, the supa cool 70's funkadelic soundtrack, and the cheesy device of adding truly killer mutton chops and big bushy eyebrows to Blac whenever he vamped out and attacked someone. Because we all know facial hair means evil, amirite? All that having been said, the scene in the morgue when the female cab driver reanimates and comes running down the hall at the coroner was very well done. That could actually be described as scary, even if nothing else in the film was. Even the animated title sequence, with the inappropriate meme of a giant bat chasing and attacking female silhouettes around a maze was entertaining, making you think "I shouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am." 70's filmmaking doesn't get much better than this.
                        It's been years since I've seen this. May need to remedy that soon.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I've been TRYING to watch The Babadook all fucking night, and Netflix keeps booting me literally every five minutes. I'm about ready to throw the remote thru the fucking TV screen.

Comment

• Babdook ARG confirmed.

Comment

• It's trying to warn you not to watch right before bed. Netflix is doing you a solid.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                                Babdook ARG confirmed.
                                Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                                It's trying to warn you not to watch right before bed. Netflix is doing you a solid.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X