Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a Criterion of 'Vanishing Point' with extras covering the drive-in movie culture that surrounded it.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Well, they did Zabriske Point. What's stopping them?

Hell, Sorcerer would be right up their alley.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• The Rock is the best action movies of the nineties. Bar none.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
          The Rock is the best action movies of the nineties. Bar none.
          I'd argue 'Speed' is the best, but that's really a matter of personal taste.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Well, we obviously agree to disagree. But I can accept Speed as a close contender.

You say Tomatoe I say Bunga-Bunga and all that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
              I just find how random the whole selection process is.

Hell, I want to see a Criterion version of UHF.

The selection process isn't that weird. It's just really fucking hard, as they are about the smallest distributor (outside of Synapse or Blue Underground) working today.

They are at the mercy of the studios and foreign houses, so they take what they can get. They've really pushed to develop their boutique cool attitude, since it helps to cover for the fact that they could easily be squashed by any studio that tries to make an effort to push them out of the market.
              My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• We can agree that they're both in the Top 10, at least.

Comment

• What about "The Matrix"?
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
                    The selection process isn't that weird. It's just really fucking hard, as they are about the smallest distributor (outside of Synapse or Blue Underground) working today.

They are at the mercy of the studios and foreign houses, so they take what they can get. They've really pushed to develop their boutique cool attitude, since it helps to cover for the fact that they could easily be squashed by any studio that tries to make an effort to push them out of the market.
                    If nothing else, Criterion has a reputation of QUALITY to it that has been developed and nurtured over the past 20 years to the point that nothing else is in the same league. If you see 'Criterion' on the label, you know the following things:
                    1. It's a great film.
                    2. The transfer is perfect.
                    3. The supplementals are exhaustive and well done.

You can buy ANY of them sight unseen and be content. No other label has that reputation. As such, I'm honestly surprised that one of the bigwigs hasn't bought them out.

Comment

• Uhhh...The Matrix is a good call.

But I´d argue that The Rock is the perfect almagam of both the nineties in general and eighties action flicks. Those combined through a restraint Bay at his best together with a script that is pretty tight and just works put it above all other action flicks for me.

The Matrix on the other hand elevated action scenes on a whole other level and surely helped to form the cinematic-action language of the last decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        If nothing else, Criterion has a reputation of QUALITY to it that has been developed and nurtured over the past 20 years to the point that nothing else is in the same league. If you see 'Criterion' on the label, you know the following things:
                        1. It's a great film.
                        2. The transfer is perfect.
                        3. The supplementals are exhaustive and well done.

You can buy ANY of them sight unseen and be content. No other label has that reputation. As such, I'm honestly surprised that one of the bigwigs hasn't bought them out.
                        It's all based on rep. At this rate, no studio wants to be the guys that fucked up Criterion. Well, Warner Brothers would consider it. But, not yet.
                        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffington Headcheese View Post
                          What about "The Matrix"?
                          most definitely in the top 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            The Rock is the best action movies of the nineties. Bar none.
                            HardBoiled, guys. One of the best action films ever.

I still just don't get The Rock. Its too hyperactive. I do actually prefer Armageddon, but I still don't really rate that.
                            I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Point to Ben; 'Hardboiled' is my favorite John Woo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                                HardBoiled, guys. One of the best action films ever.

I still just don't get The Rock. Its too hyperactive. I do actually prefer Armageddon, but I still don't really rate that.
                                Hard to really argue against Hard Boil in hindsight. Though that´s one of those late-to-the-party movies that I´ve watched for the very first time recently ago...The Rock however hit my sweet 16 year old self at the right age.

The thing about The Rock for me is that it is exactly right-active for me. That movie is the perfect combination of hyperkinetic, yet restrained enough style in the Bayverse. And I do find The Rock one of mostly gorgeous shot action movies of that time. While not being an actual quality indicator, it is a slick and stylised package in pretty much every compartment, from cast to editing, for a summer blockbuster. The culmination of Don Simpsons legacy.

Consider for yourself if thats a compliment.

Armageddon on the other hand is a movie I truly despise and that represent many of Bays actual shortcomings for me....
                                Last edited by Jan; 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X