Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The Rock' benefits from having a really strong concept and script, and letter-perfect casting. It's also much better acted than your standard fare...Jesus, Ed Harris is almost awards-worthy in his performance, especially in his scene where he argues with Michael Biehn over surrendering. It's also not over-BAYed, as I don't think that he'd completely settled into his hyperkinetic style of directing and editing.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• The summer of 96 there were two tentpole pictures that kicked off the summer: The Rock and Mission: Impossible.

The 15 year old me was meh'd by The Rock and loved M:I.

The 30 year old me hasn't shifted on either.

Its times like this I wish that I actually enjoyed it as much as you guys, but I just don't.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Mission:Impossible is below 'The Rock' for one simple reason. EMILIO DIES IN THE FIRST 10 MINS.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• HASTA LASAGNA EMILIO
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Actually, yeah...the first 'Mission: Impossible' is a great film. I don't know if I'd call it a great ACTION film, though. It's more of a heist film with action elements to it, especially at the end.
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Emilio ate a pointy metal sandwich, an unceremonious exit if ever there was one.
              "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Man down, Ethan.

Comment

• Shit, the team buying it in the first 10 is one of the reasons its great.

I agree that its not strictly an action film, except in the same way that North by Northwest is. On those terms, I' stack any of M:I's setpieces against any of The Rock's.
                  I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Here's hoping that 'M:I 4 Ghost Protocol' delivers the goods.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Here's hoping that 'M:I 4 Ghost Protocol' delivers the goods.
                      It fucking well better... unless Brad Bird catches 'lens flare fever'.

Comment

• I have no doubt MI4 will be the goods. I love MI3 as well, think it's a great action movie.

Comment

• I liked M:I 3. It wasn't GREAT, but it was decent; a solid first effort from a first time director.

eta: ANYTHING was better than the shitpile that was M:I 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            I loved M:I 2. It was GREAT! Especially the dueling motorcycles!

fixed...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
                              The Rock is the best action movies of the nineties. Bar none.
                              Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              I'd argue 'Speed' is the best, but that's really a matter of personal taste.
                              Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                              HardBoiled, guys. One of the best action films ever.

I still just don't get The Rock. Its too hyperactive. I do actually prefer Armageddon, but I still don't really rate that.
                              Remember that Action draft we did on DERP? I had the 1st pick. So, it was either The Killer to Hard Boiled. See, Hard Boiled has the better action, but for me The Killer is the Ultimate John Woo movie, with a better story. Ben swooped in with Boiled right after.

What were my other picks? The Rock, The Blade, Speed and 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Provided you saw The Blade and 36th Chamber, you have to agree I totally raped and won that shit. Fuck, the bonus round had me going ninja theme with Ninja II: the Domination and The Hunted with Christophe Lambert!

And The Rock totally destroys Armageddon. Like Matt said, it holds up so well.
                              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I love 'The Killer' as well, but it turns into self-parody when it enters the third act. The acting is too serious and the violence is so over the top...I can't help but laugh hysterically whenever I watch it. 'Hard Boiled' is just as violent but never quite veers into THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS territory like 'The Killer' does. As such, I enjoy it much more.

Personal opinion, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X