Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
    No offence y'all, but Social Network is better the 2nd and then 3rd time, in my opinion. It's a great film.

I agree it great but nothing makes me want to revisit it other than catching it on cable one night.

Comment

• DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS- Maybe if they had given Barry (Steve Carell's character) at least one negative trait (aside from being pretty oblivious) I would have liked this better. As it is, it's just an excuse to point and laugh at a guy who got a pretty raw deal until the (inevitable) moment of morality by Paul Rudd. Parts of it are pretty good but as a whole it's really underwhelming. Maybe the word I'm looking for is that it's toothless. I wonder if the original film has more of an edge. The guy from Flight of the Conchords is pretty good.

Comment

• After watching Shaun of the Dead, I just realized that Martin Freeman is the silent boyfriend behind Jessica Stevenson.

And I'm once again watching Robocop, yet again one of the greatest movies in existence.
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Dr. Parnassus

This movie definitely has problems, and watching it on Netflix/Starz pan and scan doesn't help in neutering the scale the film likely has in proper presentation, but I still...kind of enjoyed it? I guess it's about as good as Brothers Grimm, which I enjoy as a spectacular failure. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on for half of Parnassus though. So Plummer was an anglo Tibetan? And the Devil wanted him to stop telling some story? Then he owed Devil Waits a daughter or something? And Tony smuggled kids through his charity to sell their organs or what? Oh I don't fucking know.

Comment

• 'Black Swan'.

Holy shit. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I 'liked' the film, but there's absolutely no denying the craftsmanship and skill in front of and behind the cameras. Creepy and unnerving as hell. I'm still processing the damned thing...
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
              After watching Shaun of the Dead, I just realized that Martin Freeman is the silent boyfriend behind Jessica Stevenson.
              Do you recognize the rest of the "other survivors'" line-up?

Excellent call on RobooCop, by the way. That's one film I think I could honestly watch any time.
              "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I didn't. Who were the rest of the survivors in that group?

Also, I learned that Wright had always pegged Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim even from 2005. But wasn't sure he could pick him because at the time he was a bit too young.

Apparently, Wright was able to get everyone he wanted for the movie. There was no "Imagine if so and so had been cast instead."

Comment

• David Walliams' (from Spaced, among other things) friend Matt Lucas (Little Britain/Alice in Wonderland) is in there. So's Tamsin Greig who's been in lots of TV, notably Black Books opposite Dylan Moran. One or two other names are escaping me, but those two definitely.
                  "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• I still say that 'Robocop' is Verhoeven's best film. I also say that it makes a great double feature with 'A Clockwork Orange'
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                      Dr. Parnassus

This movie definitely has problems, and watching it on Netflix/Starz pan and scan doesn't help in neutering the scale the film likely has in proper presentation, but I still...kind of enjoyed it? I guess it's about as good as Brothers Grimm, which I enjoy as a spectacular failure. I'm still not entirely sure what was going on for half of Parnassus though. So Plummer was an anglo Tibetan? And the Devil wanted him to stop telling some story? Then he owed Devil Waits a daughter or something? And Tony smuggled kids through his charity to sell their organs or what? Oh I don't fucking know.
                      I couldn't finish the film. It was sooooooo boring, which is something I would never normally level at a Gilliam film, even a 'failure'. It just didn't grab me in any way. The imaginative bits felt like tame and obvious whimsy, Garfield and Cole annoyed the shit out of me from the start and Ledger just didn't seem to have a proper handle on the material either.

I'll give Gilliam the benefit of the doubt for Don Quixote, but if that doesn't work out, I'm done with him. He hasn't delivered a decent film since Fear and Loathing and that's nearly 15 years ago now.
                      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        I still say that 'Robocop' is Verhoeven's best film. I also say that it makes a great double feature with 'A Clockwork Orange'
                        I'd also think Fight Club/American Pyscho would make a great and incredibly nihilistic double feature.

Comment

• I'd check that double feature out, Ed.

Comment

• As would I, Tim.

Speaking of which, I need to get the nerve to watch Clockwork Orange.

Comment

• Ben - I agree to a point with the boring sentiment. The first hour is fucking painful. More than once I said out loud "fuck this is BORING" and it wasn't until we got well into the second half of the film that it lost that feeling. And you didn't enjoy Garfield? I thought he had the best clue as to what the film was right from the start.

Comment

• What nerve do you need, Ed? Put the disc in your player, get comfy, enjoy the McDowell.

Comment

Working...
                                X