Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machete.

To reiterate my point from last summer, I liked every moment there was a Trejo, Eyepatch Rodriguez, or a Fahey on the screen, but everything else was hamfisted and padded with shitshow horrors that ruined the pace of Trejo's kill-a-thon. Billy the Kid Cholo from World's Greatest Dad should be turned into food for the taco truck.

Alba is shit. Soul-achingly gorgeous, but shit. Make her a day player or a Babysitter Twin. Yeah. Give her an uzi and throw her in a nurse uniform; there wouldn't be a dry seat in the house.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Frozen.

Fuck this movie. It wasn't bad, no not at all, but it made me cringe on so many occasions in pain. WATCH THIS.

Comment

• Sounds like the feel good movie of the year.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Especially when the wolves show up!

Comment

• I'm guessing, as this is usually when a normal human cringes, is there are broken bones at some point (probably when they fall from the lift)?

Wolves too? Well shit, I'm sold.

Courage! Insanity! Take 'em down!
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Dude, the bones. One dude breaks bones. They look less like bones and more like huge chop sticks sticking out of his knees. I almost hurled.

Comment

• The Karate Kid - Chan edition

Really liked it. The occasional cringeworthy moment and foregone conclusion climax aside, it had a lot going for it. The photography of China was beautiful, the fights suitably brutal, nice training sequences and Chan was great. I can see why it made decent bank.

Followed it up with Iron Man 2. Enjoyed it much more this time round. I'd say it's as good as the first but with a couple of very nice action sequences. There's still the odd lapse in logic, but everyone's doing a good job (especially Rockwell) and it's certainly never dull.
                I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I'll watch that movie but I refuse to call it "The Karate Kid" for two reasons. 1)Fuck that there's only one Karate Kid and B) He's teaching him Kung Fu or some shit, at least that's what I heard on the innerwebz.
                  "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Yesterday was True Grit (Coen's), and today was Precious. Both were amazing movies. I do, however, feel like I should watch a Sandler movie next, to cleanse the palate.
                    "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
                    - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
                    http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
                    http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• The King's Speech

So good. Firth's gonna get the gold statue this year for sure. So many things in the film - I loved that they put the main plot on hold to really explore the dynamic between the King and the two princes and the circumstances that lead to Bertie becoming George VI. An excellent historical drama, an excellent human drama and just the right amount of levity to prevent it from becoming too staid and austere (best comedy swearing scene in a long time).

Firth was obviously great, as was Rush, but we've come to expect that of both of them by now. Bonham Carter, who is very take or leave for me a lot of the time, really moved me in several scenes and this is my favourite performance of hers in quite some time. Guy Pearce was also excellent as the ambivalent Edward VIII, though I think they skewed a bit too cruel in their portrayal of Wallis Simpson. Gambon, Jacobi, all the supporting players (Anthony Andrews!) were all great, with the exception of - and it pains me to say it, cos I love the guy - Timothy Spall as Churchill. Erred too closely to impersonation to really have the gravitas that the part required.

Other than that, a faultless film. Beautifully shot (Bertie walking away from Logue, as he becomes out of focus and shrouded by mist is one of the most impressive, simple shots I've seen in quite some time) and grand enough to convey scale, without diminishing the personal story being told, this is gonna be a front-runner at the Kodak and I wouldn't be surprised to see it swipe a couple of the big ones.
                      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• 'Winter's Bone'. Very good but fucking BLEAK as hell. Great acting from everyone on board, but John Hawkes steals the movie as Teardrop, the uncle of the Jennifer Lawrence character. They accomplished something amazing with this limited budget and cast of virtual unknowns. I'm glad that I saw it but it's a one-and-done for me.
                        Originally posted by Martin
                        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                        Originally posted by gravedigger
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          The King's Speech

So good. Firth's gonna get the gold statue this year for sure. So many things in the film - I loved that they put the main plot on hold to really explore the dynamic between the King and the two princes and the circumstances that lead to Bertie becoming George VI. An excellent historical drama, an excellent human drama and just the right amount of levity to prevent it from becoming too staid and austere (best comedy swearing scene in a long time).

Firth was obviously great, as was Rush, but we've come to expect that of both of them by now. Bonham Carter, who is very take or leave for me a lot of the time, really moved me in several scenes and this is my favourite performance of hers in quite some time. Guy Pearce was also excellent as the ambivalent Edward VIII, though I think they skewed a bit too cruel in their portrayal of Wallis Simpson. Gambon, Jacobi, all the supporting players (Anthony Andrews!) were all great, with the exception of - and it pains me to say it, cos I love the guy - Timothy Spall as Churchill. Erred too closely to impersonation to really have the gravitas that the part required.

Other than that, a faultless film. Beautifully shot (Bertie walking away from Logue, as he becomes out of focus and shrouded by mist is one of the most impressive, simple shots I've seen in quite some time) and grand enough to convey scale, without diminishing the personal story being told, this is gonna be a front-runner at the Kodak and I wouldn't be surprised to see it swipe a couple of the big ones.
                          Nailed it. It's my favorite film of the year.

- The scene where Firth is building the airplane model and talking about his upbringing is the emotional scene of the year.
                          - The swearing scene is one of the funniest individual comedic moments that I've seen in a long time. How it comes into play in the final speech is brilliant.

I want a sequel to this, using the same cast, that explores the Guy Pearce situation. There's obviously a great story there.
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            'Winter's Bone'. Very good but fucking BLEAK as hell. Great acting from everyone on board, but John Hawkes steals the movie as Teardrop, the uncle of the Jennifer Lawrence character. They accomplished something amazing with this limited budget and cast of virtual unknowns. I'm glad that I saw it but it's a one-and-done for me.
                            Totally agree about Hawkes - he did things in this film I didn't know he was capable of and his scene with Garrett Dillahunt was breathlessly tense stuff. I kinda liked the film, but its grown on me since, so I would probably see it again. Laura loved it, though.
                            Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Nailed it. It's my favorite film of the year.

- The scene where Firth is building the airplane model and talking about his upbringing is the emotional scene of the year.
                            - The swearing scene is one of the funniest individual comedic moments that I've seen in a long time. How it comes into play in the final speech is brilliant.

I want a sequel to this, using the same cast, that explores the Guy Pearce situation. There's obviously a great story there.
                            The plane-building scene really was excellent. The friendship that is built in that scene is what the rest of the film uses as its bedrock, emotionally. The bit that really got me was when Bertie played back the recording and Elizabeth appeared behind him. The look on Bonham Carter's face when we see it really moved me. Their relationship was very believably and sensitively portrayed.

Edward VIII - and I say this as someone with very little knowledge of the monarchy - really is a fascinating character. Abdocating to be with the woman he loved and then becoming a Nazi sympathiser prior to the outbreak of war. There will surely be a film all about him, but its a tough sell compared to the story of George VI.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              'Winter's Bone'. Very good but fucking BLEAK as hell. Great acting from everyone on board, but John Hawkes steals the movie as Teardrop, the uncle of the Jennifer Lawrence character. They accomplished something amazing with this limited budget and cast of virtual unknowns. I'm glad that I saw it but it's a one-and-done for me.
                              All of this. Jennifer Lawrence was great, I look forward to great things from her. A lady I work with (and hate, I've discussed her before) is from this area and talks about all its beauty. I told her to rent this.

Comment

• The A-Team.

Loved it. Wasn't expecting to, but based on all of your fine accolades I grabbed it for $12 on Amazon. Not regretting it. Everyone is having a fucking ball and it shows. Copley is great. Patrick Wilson is amazing. The containers at the end are horrible CGI goodness. Bring on a sequel.

Comment

Working...
                                X