Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Splendor

I seem to go back to this every few years and love it a little more each time.

Hope Davis: yes.

Originally posted by ben thomas View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that has an unnatural crush on Wiig.
    Room for one more?
    "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Body Snatchers '78

Up there with The Thing as containing some of my favourite practical effects ever. It hasn't aged a day as an effective film, whilst at the same time being very much of the 70s. Sutherland, Nimoy and Goldblum kill (especially Goldblum) and Veronica Cartwright is kinda cute in her early scenes.

And of course, that ending. Sure, its sign-posted and its the only place to go logically, but its the ending you want and deserve. A great, great film and my favourite treatment of the material to date.
      I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I remember being freaked the fuck OUT by that film, Ben. It's been a long, long time since my last viewing of it, but there are moments that have never left my brain.

That dog...that damned dog...
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Ah yes, without that movie, 1/3rd of the internet wouldn't have been the same. The remaining 2/3rds go to Wrath of Khan.
          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Johnny Dangerously - another flick that I find myself locking on to, no matter how many times I've seen it. Keaton shines in this, with great performances by Peter Boyle, Griffin Dunne, Maureen Stapleton, and Marilu (hubba hubba!) Henner.

Leave us not forget the scene stealing machine that is Joe Piscopo: "You shouldn't hang me on a hook, Johnny. My father hung me on a hook once. Once!"

Comment

• "You took my fargin rights, you fargin corksuckers!"

Comment

• Finished 'Gorky Park'.

Not bad, but it's bogged down by a slow pace that totally kills any sense of suspense or narrative thrust. Lee Marvin is the only actor/character that shows any real spark...he's magnetic whenever he's on the screen. Everyone else is really flat and kinda just...there. Doing the job. Like their characters.

James Horner's score is jarring...seriously bad in an 80s kind of way.
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• It's Horner's "Steel Drums" phase...

Enough said.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                    It's Horner's "Steel Drums" phase...

Enough said.
                    Exactly! And it doesn't fit the Russian setting at all. It's also really, really high up in the sound mix to the point that, when it appears, it's ALL THAT YOU CAN NOTICE OH MY GOD WE'RE IN A CHASE SCENE IN RUSSIA WITH STEEL DRUMS BLARING LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOOK AT WILLIAM HURT'S RECEDING HAIRLINE oh good the scene is over.

Comment

• Even though the film was sub-par(except for Brian Dennehy!), Martin Cruz Smith's books are uniformly excellent, and I highly recommend them.

A list of books with brief synopses...

Comment

• I started watching JFK last night. I need a flow chart to breakdown the conspiracy.

Just let me know when the reverse vampires show up.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                          Even though the film was sub-par(except for Brian Dennehy!), Martin Cruz Smith's books are uniformly excellent, and I highly recommend them.

A list of books with brief synopses...
                          Yeah, Dennehy was solid.

I read 'Gorky Park' and 'Polar Star' from his Arkady Renko series. GP was pretty good but PS was EXCELLENT. For some reason, I never went into the rest of his books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                            I started watching JFK last night. I need a flow chart to breakdown the conspiracy.

Just let me know when the reverse vampires show up.
                            Dude...bitch all that you want about the 'accuracy' of the film, but don't bitch about the filmaking itself. It's a masterpiece of filmaking.

Comment

• It's Oliver Stone at his best, no doubt about it.

And I know the movie isn't meant to be a "true story", despite what others say. It's impressive just at the amount of people that are in this. And if only we could have gotten more footage of John Candy as the sleazy New Orleans attorney.

Comment

• I finally watched my first Hammer Horror film: 1958's Horror of Dracula. I feel like a great cherry has been popped on me.
                                Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                                John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Working...
                                X