Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TENET is Nolan's worst film (I haven't seen INSOMNIA, though). It's technically brilliant but not engaging in the slightest. The plot is hard to follow even if you have subtitles on and the characters do not engage at all.

I saw it theatrically and 'liked' it at the time mainly for the technical achievement, but I've really soured on it since.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• My wife has never seen the NAKED GUN or HOT SHOTS movies. I showed her a good chunk of the first NAKED GUN a year or so ago and she laughed, so I decided to start her off the right way and show her the first film in its entirety.

The damned thing still plays. Even though I still have it fairly memorized, watching it with her and seeing her laugh at seeing the jokes for the first time was a joy. Good God, I thought she was going to die at the 'nice beaver' line. I had to pause then and let the laughter work through her. Anyways, she loved it. We're going to do the other two and I already warned her to lower her expectations, but it should be fun. Personally, I'm looking forward to the two HOT SHOTS films...those are both pretty solid.
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• ZAZ was a powerhouse back in the day. Not so much now but the first 2 Naked Gun flicks and both Hot Shots! flicks totally hold up still.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Assuming she's seen Top Secret? If not, another great one to add t o the list.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
            TENET is Nolan's worst film (I haven't seen INSOMNIA, though). It's technically brilliant but not engaging in the slightest. The plot is hard to follow even if you have subtitles on and the characters do not engage at all.

I saw it theatrically and 'liked' it at the time mainly for the technical achievement, but I've really soured on it since.
            The plot is nonsense and none of the actors BUT Pattinson seem to give any shits about being in the movie. I legit just walked out of the room and started making dinner half way through. The gimmick of time travel shit did NOTHING for me. Again, it's like he saw some instagram filters being used and thought I'll make a whole movie outta that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
              Assuming she's seen Top Secret? If not, another great one to add t o the list.
              This one is a 'miss' for us. It has a few good moments here and there but overall the hit/miss ratio of the jokes is not favorable.

Comment

• Oh man, nothing will ever top the underwater bar fight. Probably my favorite scene in any of the ZAZ flicks honestly. But I get the general "meh" feeling towards it.

Comment

• TOP SECRET has maybe a 15% hit/miss ratio for me. There are long stretches where jokes are thrown at you and just land with an audible thud of nothingness. If it works for you, I'm happy. Honestly, I wish it worked for me because the concept itself is strong and again, there are some good bits in it.

Comment

• Tent is a dumb fucking movie. Within about 15 minutes we agreed it was interesting to look at, but nothing made a lick of fucking sense and thanks to the shit audio mixing we could only understand about 1/4 of what was said. I think Washington was awesome in it because he's just charismatic as fuck, and R Pats seemed to know he was getting a fat check for a stupid student film with a $250m budget. I read a breakdown on Vulture after watching it, and it was far more entertaining than the movie was.

Matt, Insomnia is good. Just a legit thriller. I think I saw it on HBO streaming right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      My wife has never seen the NAKED GUN or HOT SHOTS movies. I showed her a good chunk of the first NAKED GUN a year or so ago and she laughed, so I decided to start her off the right way and show her the first film in its entirety.

The damned thing still plays. Even though I still have it fairly memorized, watching it with her and seeing her laugh at seeing the jokes for the first time was a joy. Good God, I thought she was going to die at the 'nice beaver' line. I had to pause then and let the laughter work through her. Anyways, she loved it. We're going to do the other two and I already warned her to lower her expectations, but it should be fun. Personally, I'm looking forward to the two HOT SHOTS films...those are both pretty solid.
                      If you can, track down the original Police Squad! TV show that the Naked Gun films are based on. You won't regret it.

Comment

• Oh, I know. Loved the show.

We did the two NAKED GUN sequels last night, back to back.

THE NAKED GUN 2.5: THE SMELL OF FEAR: it has a few good moments in it but it's the weakest of the three, in our opinion. There's more of an emphasis on plot in this one, causing the jokes to come at a slower pace. Add in the fact that the hit/miss ratio of the jokes is not as high as in the first film and there's a lot of dead air.

THE NAKED GUN 33.3: THE FINAL INSULT: it brings back the quicker pace of the first film. While the hit/miss ratio still isn't as high, when a joke fails, there's another joke coming up quickly to help get you over the hump. This was a lot funnier than I remembered it being.

Final ranking:
                        1>33.3>2.5

Comment

• Your adventure through Naked Gun reminds me, I showed Sarah Spinal Tap two weeks ago. She had never seen it, which surprised me because her dad loves movies along those lines. Dude will randomly text me Blazing Saddles quotes while drunk. She thought she would hate it because hair metal is extremely not her shit, but she was laughing out loud for the entire movie. When I told her about Metallica making the black album cover because of Spinal Tap I thought she was doing to die from laughing too hard. Stonehenge and all the dead drummers were the highlights for her.

Comment

• SMELL THE GLOVE

Comment

• The Little Things. Do you miss late 90's serial killer thrillers? Do you want to watch a laughably bad Rami Malek who cannot act unless he is a hacker act through his teeth for most of the runtime? Do you want to see paunchy Denzel Washington with the fakest white teeth ever? Do you want to watch Jared Leto play a possible serial killer like you've seen a million times before? Then check it out on HBO Max!

Comment

• He’s on fire in Until Dawn. Best line delivery ever by a centaur thespian.

Leto can go kick rocks on the shores of Tartarus.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X