Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Still totally holds up and god I have a thing for JJL. Mr. Hand is the best.
    I have never seen this. I watched Meatballs and Porky's 1000 times though.

Comment

• Black Mass - Johnny Depp was great in this, nailing "Whitey" Bulger's air of menace, mannerisms, and character beats like a champ. Easily one of his best performances ever - that scene in the hospital with Dakota Johnson had Depp mixing Bulger's menace with profound sorrow. You could just about see whatever was decent in Bulger just evaporate when he had to admit defeat in something he could never control or beat up.

Benedict Cumberbatch, Joel Edgerton (watching his take on FBI agent John Connoly's fall was compelling as hell), Rory Cochrane and pretty much everyone else in the cast knocked this one out of the park. The story sucked me in from the get go - watching these characters move through this massive web of growing corruption was fascinating.

Cinematography was terrific - I've never been to Boston, but I'm kind of interested in visiting. There's such a rich history there and vibe that comes through the film that makes it a different beast than what you'd find in NY, especially when it comes to crime and detective/police tales.

Moment of honesty here - I had a choice of watching this or Jem and the Holograms, as both were on at the same time. I hope I chose wisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post

Fix that!
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

But you've seen THE Phoebe Cates scene, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
            But you've seen THE Phoebe Cates scene, right?
            Yeah, I've seen it. But I was like 17 or something the first time I saw it online. I had already seen way more so it was just like "that's nice. Where's the bukakke?"

Watched Bone Tomahawk. Good as hell. Character actor heaven. Prosthetic work reminded me of Green Room.

Comment

• You mean like with the Savages? Or the wishbone? Either way, that tells me I REALLY need to see GREEN ROOM.

Comment

• Kind of all of the stuff in the last 30 minutes. Just brutal gut wrenching fucking gore that feels over the top, but isn't really that out of the realm of reality.

Comment

• THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

Good, not great. Lots of whiffed opportunities throughout the film to make something truly GREAT. Indeed, there were a bunch of 'Pixar moments' that were set up in the plot that were never followed up on that would have made this movie something special. Instead, it's merely something that's fairly entertaining but very disposable.

Side note: this was also one of the worst theatrical experiences in recent memory. I had four teenagers on my left who were in full teenager mode...talking, giggling, squirreling about. They weren't texting but that's really about it. I put up with it for a while, but I finally let them have it after they go particularly rowdy. I leaned forward, looked to my left so that I could see all of them, and growled 'ENOUGH WITH THE TALKING'. The three nearest me gave me shocked looks...the one at the far end tried to give me the death stare...it was kinda funny. I stared right back at him. He eventually looked away and I sat back to watch the film. Five minutes later, the kids got up and left the movie.
                  Originally posted by Martin
                  Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                  Originally posted by gravedigger
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                  And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                  Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Kind of all of the stuff in the last 30 minutes. Just brutal gut wrenching fucking gore that feels over the top, but isn't really that out of the realm of reality.
                    That's a great way to put it. From what I was hearing at the time, I expected the scene to be gross "ridiculous" but it was more gross "yeah, I guess that's how it would go, holy crap".

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

Good, not great. Lots of whiffed opportunities throughout the film to make something truly GREAT. Indeed, there were a bunch of 'Pixar moments' that were set up in the plot that were never followed up on that would have made this movie something special. Instead, it's merely something that's fairly entertaining but very disposable.
                      I liked it better than the Minions shit and the Despicable movies. The kids LOVED it.

ALL HAIL THE BUNNY.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Oh I agree, it's much better than the DESPICABLE ME/MINIONS stuff. It's still very lightweight compared to the Pixar films.

Love Leonard the poodle. His scene at the end where he's head-banging yet again to Andrew W.K. was awesome.
                        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                        Originally posted by gravedigger
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• TERMINATOR GENYSIS- not terrible! Considering I thought the trailers were hot garbage I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. The time travel stuff is complete nonsense and impossible to follow, which probably makes it a bad movie, but I liked the ridiculous action. The explanation for Old T-800 was actually pretty good considering the dumb time travel. I continue to be perplexed as to why they marketing team decided to spoil the Connor reveal in posters. That moment would've had much more impact otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post

Love Leonard the poodle. His scene at the end where he's head-banging yet again to Andrew W.K. was awesome.
                            SAME!

Comment

• Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.

Free public screening, which was maybe half-full with the fiancee and some pals right before I head back to the US (Filing for Fiancee VISA, baby - Seriously pray for me our Government doesn't give me Hell and processes this a-OK!) Local radio station sponsored it and one of the hosts even tried to fan the flames asking, "Cheer if you're happy this is a movie with all women!"

As one who likes Feig's other comedies, especially The Heat and Spy, this is easily his weakest. He just wasn't the guy up to task here, and it's obvious to me now this entire debate was cooked up as means to deflect their own wrong-doings here.

But then again... Ghostbusters as an IP is a one-trick pony, and it worked beautifully in '84 because everything just came together. Right time, right place, right people. This redo and Ghostbusters II should be proof enough of that, I'd like to think.

I actually did like Leslie Jones and the film was chocked full of awesome creature design work, visual effects and 3D. But that's kinda it.

Wiig and McCarthy were OK, McKinnon was in an entirely different film altogether (in a bad way - feels like she's getting an A for effort instead of execution but she seems to be the only one going all out) and Hemsworth's routine got old. Fast.

The politics in reaction of this film (pro and con) is about the only thing that will be remembered, and I'm ready for that conversation to finally be over with. Simple truth is both extreme sides of the aisle (the fan-babies and SJWs) blew it way outta proportion. Picked the wrong film to make an example of. Just isn't worth the overpraise or over-scorn.
                              Originally posted by Ari
                              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• It's a free screening in Qatar. That means a camel go fucked in the backrow while half the theater watched in envy, missing the movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X