Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hahaahhahha
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
        You mean, "Disorienting".

Dammit.

Saw the trailer for this before Spidey 2 and Godzilla, and it does look good. I may wait for On Demand, tho. So many movies to see this summer. . . .
        Simple reminder:

Disorienting -> In relation to direction or flow. Whether it be personal or abstract

Disorientating -> In relation to personal status or the confusion of one's self.

They get thrown together in purpose within the greater confines of the proper American English.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Neither of those is discombobulated so I say fuck them both.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• EDGE OF TOMORROW is the goods. Holy shit did I love that.

High expectations = EXCEEDED.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Ninja: Shadow of a Tear

I picked this up mainly cos Scott Adkins, who I enjoyed in the last UniSol movie. This wasn't very good. It's totally a Van Damme DTV movie with better choreography and some full contact moments. Kane Kosugi's in it too if you're interested. If you enjoyed Blood and Bone, this is on that kind of level.

Out of the Furnace

It's a shame the final few minutes slow the film down to an inevitable conclusion so much, as I though the rest was pretty great. Bale and Casey Affleck are fantastic here and are supported by Willem Dafoe, Forest Whittaker, Woody Harrelson, Sam Shepard and a surprisingly effective Zoe Saldana. A couple of scenes really affected me and it takes a couple of turns I wasn't sure it would. Scott Cooper has a great eye and ear and obviously works brilliantly with actors. This is much more solid than the lukewarm reviews might have you believe. If you need a reference for this, I'd say if you liked The Yards, you should check this out, no question.
              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                Ninja: Shadow of a Tear

I picked this up mainly cos Scott Adkins, who I enjoyed in the last UniSol movie. This wasn't very good. It's totally a Van Damme DTV movie with better choreography and some full contact moments. Kane Kosugi's in it too if you're interested. If you enjoyed Blood and Bone, this is on that kind of level.

Out of the Furnace

It's a shame the final few minutes slow the film down to an inevitable conclusion so much, as I though the rest was pretty great. Bale and Casey Affleck are fantastic here and are supported by Willem Dafoe, Forest Whittaker, Woody Harrelson, Sam Shepard and a surprisingly effective Zoe Saldana. A couple of scenes really affected me and it takes a couple of turns I wasn't sure it would. Scott Cooper has a great eye and ear and obviously works brilliantly with actors. This is much more solid than the lukewarm reviews might have you believe. If you need a reference for this, I'd say if you liked The Yards, you should check this out, no question.
                Yep, quite enjoyed that one too. Did not expect several things that happened.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• CLOUD ATLAS

Alrighty then.
                  Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• It's not very good, is it?
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• I quite liked Cloud Atlas. Despite the horrible makeup, it has huge balls, and one of the best editing job ever.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I admire its ambition and overall sense of scope, and I'd like to see an entire movie of the future Korea storyline (which I personally found to be quite engaging). It just didn't gel for me at all. The main blocking issue for me was the fact that we simply could not understand 50% of what was being said in the far future sequence. If you're gonna have people speak something unfamiliar, you need to ensure that:
                        - They speak clearly and enunciate.
                        - They speak slowly.
                        - They are high enough in the sound mix that you don't have to struggle to hear them.
                        You need to do what Kubrick did in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and allow the viewer to absorb the language and get used to it.

Anyways, to the stories themselves:
                        1. The ship: OK. Felt underdeveloped
                        2. The composer: My second favorite storyline. Again, I wouldn't mind a full movie of this story. The characters were interesting and it was very well acted, and there weren't any horrible makeup jobs to get distracted by.
                        3. The nuclear energy thing. OK. Unremarkable. They did a good job of capturing a 70s aesthetic, though.
                        4. The nursing home. Terrible. Distracted by the horrible makeup jobs.
                        5. The fabricant. A really excellent storyline. It goes into Soylent Green territory at the end, but I was OK with that. This could have made for a really fantastic feature length film.
                        6. The mumbling future. Well acted but frustrating to follow.

Again, I admire what they were trying to do, but the film is hamstrung by several bad decisions along the way. I suspect that the film would improve on another viewing, but I'll be damned if I want to sit through it again.

Comment

• this is still on my DVR taking up like 5% of space. I need to give this a go at some point.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• It's worth a watch. ONE watch.

Hanks is pretty damned great in it. He really gives his all and is totally committed to the film. Jim Broadbent is really good in the composer sequence with Ben Whishaw, but he's distractingly awful in the nursing home sequence.

Comment

• I kinda agree with Matt's assessment. The Seoul story is outstanding.

Overall, I was so impressed by how easy it is to follow these stories.
                              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• It's a magnificent achievement in editing. There really isn't an issue following the stories, and they do a good job at intercutting the stories in such a way that you're at similar action or emotional moments when you make a transition. You don't cut from an action scene to a dialog scene, for example. As such, you may concentrate on three of the stories for a while and only go back to the other ones once you've navigated an overall tonal shift that will allow you to transition to one of the other stories without it being a jarring experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X