Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of Springbreakers. Uhhhh....
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Wizards (1977) - I'd DVR'd this a couple of months ago, as I hadn't seen it in about 10-15 years, and even then, I barely remembered watching it. This time, with full attention paid, I gave it a watch.

Bakshi's always been hit or miss with me with his films. I do love a lot of his TV wok (The Mighty Heroes, the original Spider-Man cartoon, etc.), I dug Fritz the Cat (for what it was), and his later work (Fire and Ice, Cool World - which I'd watched a bunch of times on cable, mostly for Kim Basinger).

Wizards was more... "meh." While I do get where he was going re: his commentary on then current issues (war, technology, politics, etc.), but it felt like I was watching a student film moreso than an epic fantasy. The non-animated inserts, drawn by comics legend Mike Ploog, immediately recalled Wendy & Richard Pini's ElfQuest, and had this played as a straight fantasy film, I probably would've enjoyed it more. The sci-fi bits, small though they were, kind of threw off the story a bit. Also, some of the rotoscoped bits, mostly the huge armies that were cribbed from films about the Crusades or King Arthur, kept taking me out of the film. Same stuff happened with Bakshi's Lord of the Rings (required viewing if you dig animation or are a Tolkien fan, but the film pales when compared to the, IMHO, superior Rakin/Bass takes on The Hobbit and Return of the King, and the Jackson films). Bakshi even swiped from himself by using some of those scenes in Wizards in his take on LOTR - lazy, lazy, lazy.

As a film buff/student, absolutely give Wizards a spin if you haven't seen it. Bakshi took some risks, developed some tech still in use today, and was a pioneer in the medium. Matt watched this a year or so back and his take was valid - the film has a lot of issues, needed more thought in some of the ideas it worked with, and could've been a hell of a great fantasy flick, but it seemed to be somewhat disjointed and laid back on the execution.

Comment

• THEY SHOT FRITZ! THEY SHOT FRITZ!!!
        Originally posted by Martin
        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
        Originally posted by gravedigger
        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• OK, I DID enjoy that bit, Matt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
            Part of Springbreakers. Uhhhh....
            Finish it because it's one of the best films of the year.
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
              Finish it because it's one of the best films of the year.
              OF ALL TIME

look at my shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Comment

• yessssss
                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• hatsssss and gunssssss

Comment

• Watched Fast 6 with Ceej on Friday since he never saw it. Pretty sure he didn't like it as he made fun of it the entire time. Silly bastard has no idea the genius of it.

SHOW VIN'S FLYING HEADBUTT OF AWESOMENESS SOME GODDAMN RESPECT

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                      Watched Pacific Rim finally. Some of you guys are nitpicky as fuck. It wasn't perfect but it was fucking fun as shit. Mako or whatever her name was, was more of a void than Hunnam to me and Elba was fine in it. SO NITPICK, SUCH WRONG
                      AMEN BRO.

*EPIC BROFIST*
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• I really can't muster up the energy for Spring Breakers. Franco is the only thing in it that makes me want to give it a go.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          I really can't muster up the energy for Spring Breakers. Franco is the only thing in it that makes me want to give it a go.
                          And he's exactly why you should. It's a culmination of all the Franco weirdness encased in a perfectly weird bubble of a world.

my bed is fucking aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Comment

• Watched DIE HARD last night (for Christmas) for the first time in something like ten years. So damned good.
                            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                            Originally posted by gravedigger
                            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Watched DIE HARD last night (for Christmas) for the first time in something like ten years. So damned good.
                              Absolutely
                              Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                              Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                              POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                                Watched Fast 6 with Ceej on Friday since he never saw it. Pretty sure he didn't like it as he made fun of it the entire time. Silly bastard has no idea the genius of it.

SHOW VIN'S FLYING HEADBUTT OF AWESOMENESS SOME GODDAMN RESPECT
                                Sometimes I wonder about Ceej.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X