Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post

Please, people have been flipping me off since I learned how to talk.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
      and that's wrong.

You're making an argument for ignorance by using another construct for ignorance.

It doesn't matter how much you build upon it, if you say that you can enjoy something without thinking about it....THAT'S WRONG.

YOU CAN ENJOY SOMETHING WITHOUT OVER ANALYZING IT TO THE POINT OF ABSURDITY BUT JUST TAKING IT AT FACE VALUE. I NEVER SAID TURN OFF YOUR SHIT COMPLETELY, ZONE OUT, AND OW! MY BALLS.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

YOU CAN ENJOY SOMETHING WITHOUT OVER ANALYZING IT TO THE POINT OF ABSURDITY BUT JUST TAKING IT AT FACE VALUE. I NEVER SAID TURN OFF YOUR SHIT COMPLETELY, ZONE OUT, AND OW! MY BALLS.
        Ha! I just needed to hear you say it.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• I've said that since we started this goddamn circle jerk. Fuck.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I've said that since we started this goddamn circle jerk. Fuck.
            Not exactly. But, we'll just leave this alone until the next time it festers up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
              CALIFORNIA SUITE

It's essentially 4 unrelated stories happening in a California hotel at the same time:
              - Maggie Smith and Michael Caine as an acting couple there for her Oscar nomination.
              - Jane Fonda and Alan Alda as a divorced couple discussing what to do with their daughter.
              - Walter Matthau as a guy visiting for a Bar Mitzvah who gets set up with a hooker by his brother.
              - Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor as the husbands of two vacationing couples.

It's from a Neil Simon play and most of the lines feel like LINES, not like real language. Jane Fonda, in particular, has a hard time nailing the right cadence and tone.

Some of it's very funny. Matthau's situation gets pretty entertaining when his wife shows up and he's got a passed out hooker in his bed. That situation has the best resolution of any of the storylines. The Pryor/Cosby one is ok...essentially everything that can go wrong DOES go wrong, and they have pretty solid chemistry together. The comedy of those elements is tonally off from the rather serious stuff surrounding the Smith/Caine storyline and the Alda/Fonda storyline, resulting in some rather jarring shifts in tone throughout the film.

It was OK, not great. One and done for sure.
              This would be worth seeing for the star studded cast alone. I would be particularly interested in how Cosby & Pryor worked together, since I know (assuming Eddie Murphy was accurate) that Cosby has little use for Pryor's brand of blue comedy, to which Pryor's famous reply was "Thell Bill I said 'Have a Coke and a smile', & STFU." I wonder if that translated into a lack of respect for the talents of the other by one or both of them?
              I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• There was a definite edge to their scenes. It's a very antagonistic situation that the two find themselves in, so I wouldn't be surprised if Cosby's attitude came through in his interactions with Pryor. Some pretty funny stuff, though.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                Originally posted by Martin
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• A twofer of sorts.

First up to bat was Kill List. This one had been in the queue for a long time and I'm glad I finally got around to it, as it was an impressive effort by Ben Wheatley.

Some elements weakened it for me, especially the editing choices in certain moments (though the cut into Jay acting like a crazed monkey wearing a suit was wonderful) dulled the effect of key emotional scenes. Reading about the incredibly fluid filmmaking style and heavy improvisation throughout I understand why the film was done this way and it does have stellar sequences to show for it, I just felt some of the edits were a bit too disjointed in parts.

That tunnel sequence though? Wow. My heart was racing.

Tyres was wonderful as Gal. Glad he picked something up for his performance.

If you like suspense, if like films shot in the documentary style, and if you like reading into things, then you will enjoy this film.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• The second film was Spring Breakers.

This has also been one I've taken my sweet time to get around to watching.

Korine continues to offer up the most terrifyingly accurate depiction of the degenracy of American youth I've ever seen. He knows the sleaze because he is the sleaze. And we can smell our own.

Anyway, the principle group are probably the worst part of the entire experience (intentional) whose deplorable behavior and even more horrid acting is then saved by the hilarious Malick-esque deep looks into the distance juxtaposed with the dialogue. By the end, those moments were pure bliss. Same goes with the moments on the bus with the hand going up to touch the window. Fuck it's awful and great in equal measure.

And I haven't gotten to the best part. James Franco is the greatest fucking thing in this film, bar none. He is the beating heart of America. He is the MTV American Dream rendered flesh. When he was poetically cataloguing "his shit" I was on board with him. Then I began to slacken in my enjoyment as the spotlight turned to the well-trodden ground of the master/apprentice rivalry, but then Alien brought it all back once he started to suck those gundicks. No one else would have sucked those gundicks like that. He was totally in the moment, sucking those gundicks.

By the time pervert messiah punctuates the scene with the "I think I just fell in love with both y'all" I was up from my couch, applauding like a braindead ape at a Big Bang Theory taping.

The final act is really fantastic in terms of the film's own logic and yet it made me somewhat solemn, as we will never have a Miami Vice film that embraces the heights of neon sleaze like this film ended up doing.
                    Last edited by Captain Russ; 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM. Reason: Spraaaang Breaaaaaaaak Spraaaaaaaaangebreaaaaak fahevah
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• sprriiinnggg brreeeaaaakkkkkk

Comment

• You guys have talked more about California Suite than anyone has in 35 years.

Comment

What's this from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                            The second film was Spring Breakers.

This has also been one I've taken my sweet time to get around to watching.

Korine continues to offer up the most terrifyingly accurate depiction of the degenracy of American youth I've ever seen. He knows the sleaze because he is the sleaze. And we can smell our own.

Anyway, the principle group are probably the worst part of the entire experience (intentional) whose deplorable behavior and even more horrid acting is then saved by the hilarious Malick-esque deep looks into the distance juxtaposed with the dialogue. By the end, those moments were pure bliss. Same goes with the moments on the bus with the hand going up to touch the window. Fuck it's awful and great in equal measure.

And I haven't gotten to the best part. James Franco is the greatest fucking thing in this film, bar none. He is the beating heart of America. He is the MTV American Dream rendered flesh. When he was poetically cataloguing "his shit" I was on board with him. Then I began to slacken in my enjoyment as the spotlight turned to the well-trodden ground of the master/apprentice rivalry, but then Alien brought it all back once he started to suck those gundicks. No one else would have sucked those gundicks like that. He was totally in the moment, sucking those gundicks.

By the time pervert messiah punctuates the scene with the "I think I just fell in love with both y'all" I was up from my couch, applauding like a braindead ape at a Big Bang Theory taping.

The final act is really fantastic in terms of the film's own logic and yet it made me somewhat solemn, as we will never have a Miami Vice film that embraces the heights of neon sleaze like this film ended up doing.
                            Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                            sprriiinnggg brreeeaaaakkkkkk
                            http://vimeo.com/48702709

mah bed is a work of art!

Comment

• The Filth is the gif's origin, I do believe.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X