Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moneyball

Its so far from, 'Meh' you guys. I think this is one of last year's better films. Its beautifully shot and edited and I think Pitt does much more interesting work here than in something like Tree of Life. But most importantly is that crackerjack script from Zaillian AND Sorkin.
    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
      Moneyball

Its so far from, 'Meh' you guys. I think this is one of last year's better films. Its beautifully shot and edited and I think Pitt does much more interesting work here than in something like Tree of Life. But most importantly is that crackerjack script from Zaillian AND Sorkin.
      I liked it too but didn't feel like fighting the poo poo'ers. I loved Pitt's work and actually thought Hill did pretty good himself.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
        I liked it too but didn't feel like fighting the poo poo'ers. I loved Pitt's work and actually thought Hill did pretty good himself.

I didn't care for Jonah Hill at all. But, the script felt tailor-made for Pitt's abilities. He deserved the nomination.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• I guess for me I expected to be annoyed with him like I usually am but he played things pretty straight laced so he wasn't a distraction or terribly annoying. I know that's not a ringing endorsement but I usually can't stand his ass.
          "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• DYLAN DOG- Why wasn't this better received? Poor romantic subplot aside, it's a lot of fun. Routh is good as usual (fuck the haters) and the supporting cast is entertaining. The story is pretty standard but the performances and jokes save it. Really good creature make-up effects, too.

Comment

• The Guard

Not quite as melancholy, or hilarious, as In Bruges but a perfectly fine movie in its own right. I know I missed a LOT of punchlines because none of the actors seem to have any interest downplaying their Irish accents which I think is pretty genius. When Mark Strong shows up (No idea he was in this) the difference between his English accent and the locals Irish accent makes a distinction between the two cultures that most Americans don't realize exists. Also, mothafuckin Davos ULTIBRO Seaworth is in this. I envy Brendan for his scene with the two professional ladies, they might be the hottest girls in all of Ireland.

"Maybe it's for shooting little Protestants?"

"Aye shooting lil Protestants I get it, that's funny"

Genius.

Comment

• Finished HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS last night. Good but not great. Whenever the focus is on Costner, Paxton, or Berenger, it's very good. Whenever the focus goes to a supporting role, it kinda drifts. I understand that it has to be done in order to effectively tell the true story, but I'll be damned if i want to spend a shitload of time on a soap opera involving Costner's son and Paxton's daughter.

Costner and Berenger are REALLY fucking good in this, by the way.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                  I haven't seen Take Me Home Tonight, but since we're talking ladies -- Lucy Punch looks very cute on the poster. Would she be enough to get me through the flick? What about the soundtrack?
                  I enjoyed it. Nothing incredible but a good bored watch.
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    Finished HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS last night. Good but not great. Whenever the focus is on Costner, Paxton, or Berenger, it's very good. Whenever the focus goes to a supporting role, it kinda drifts. I understand that it has to be done in order to effectively tell the true story, but I'll be damned if i want to spend a shitload of time on a soap opera involving Costner's son and Paxton's daughter.

Costner and Berenger are REALLY fucking good in this, by the way.
                    Costner and Berenger were damned good in it, Paxton not so much, for me anyway. How'd you feel about the ending? I kind of felt like they might have trouble finding just how to end it.

Comment

• The ending was what it was. It's a true story so you can't deviate too much from what happened.
                      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                      Originally posted by gravedigger
                      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Well of course, I guess it just felt a little flat for me but on the whole I'd recommend it for at least one viewing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                          The Guard

Not quite as melancholy, or hilarious, as In Bruges but a perfectly fine movie in its own right. I know I missed a LOT of punchlines because none of the actors seem to have any interest downplaying their Irish accents which I think is pretty genius. When Mark Strong shows up (No idea he was in this) the difference between his English accent and the locals Irish accent makes a distinction between the two cultures that most Americans don't realize exists. Also, mothafuckin Davos ULTIBRO Seaworth is in this. I envy Brendan for his scene with the two professional ladies, they might be the hottest girls in all of Ireland.

"Maybe it's for shooting little Protestants?"

"Aye shooting lil Protestants I get it, that's funny"

Genius.
                          The thing that took me out of The Guard is how obviously low budget it is. It sounds petty, but there's a scene where Brendan Gleeson is watching a TV and he's just being lit by an off-camera lamp in a very student film kind of way. Little bits like that pulled me out of it, which is a shame cos you're absolutely right - while nowhere near as wistful or loaded with emotion as In Bruges, its a perfectly good 'little' film, with Gleeson and Cheadle on fire and some hilarious dialogue.

"Let me just slip into something less comfortable..." in Gleeson's hands is gold.
                          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• You know Ben, I wanted to say something about the budget but was wondering if it was just me. It is painfully low budget, especially early in the film. It almost felt like someone was standing off to the side with a lantern in some of the shots. And some of the audio was not very good either, which when dealing with those Gaelic accents is kind of unacceptable.

Comment

• Carnage

Fine, not spectacular. Its perfectly enjoyable and Christoph Waltz blows the three more bankable actors off the screen by reining it in a bit in comparison to their histrionics. The most interesting thing about the film after Waltz is actually the set detail. Make of that what you will.

Young Adult

Really good. Having never seen Juno (too 'hip') or Jennifer's Body (looked like shit), I have to say - while none-too-subtle - Diablo Cody's script is pretty first rate. The balance involved in having a completely unsympathetic lead that you cannot take your eyes off and yet will for them to pull through somehow is very sophisticated. She's also not shy of a well-timed barb or bon mot, which doesn't hurt. And it helps massively that you've got Theron, Patton Oswalt, Patrick Wilson and to a lesser degree Colette Wolfe - who is turning into one of my favourite emerging character actresses and I happen to find her nerdily easy on the eye - absolutely firing on all cylinders, to a man. Theron in particular is doing what I think might just be her most interesting work in this. Her see-saw control in the big climactic confrontation is utterly masterful. Theron is the shit. She also seems to have what seem like the longest legs in the universe, though its fair to say this is not a 'sexy' performance. Again, not a film that's gonna change anyone's world, but it would sit nicely on a shelf next to something like About Schmidt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                                Moneyball

See, most of my friends share your opinion. Just didn't work all that well for me. Not a bad movie at all.

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                                I didn't care for Jonah Hill at all. But, the script felt tailor-made for Pitt's abilities. He deserved the nomination.
                                Pitt-wise: absolutely.
                                BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Working...
                                X