Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
    Haha, we just watched that last night as well. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. That fucking ginger kid is great but holy shit that movie just gives up on making any sort of sense with the last 15 minutes.
    OMFG SHOOT THE DEMON WITH THE BIG ROCKET IT TOTES WORKS

Comment

• Pontypool - I think Edweird Hockonnen once recommended this on one of his shows threads so I gave it a whirl on instant. A not terrible film set mostly inside a radio shows studio, showing the main characters learning about a zombie outbreak through second hand accounts. It starts promising but LEAPS off the fucking rails with the twist.

Spoiler: READ AT OWN RISK 
      The twist is that the zombie outbreak is spread through language, apparently English being a major offender of some sort. And once you find this out the movie pretty much shits it's pants
      .....but still might be worth checking out.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• It's an interesting premise and McHattie deserves a huge fucking fistbump for rolling with it.

I don't really think it shat the bed. It's a throwback to the old days of radio, with the viewer being placed back into that mindset for a large portion of the running time, of not knowing anything but what is recounted on air and the viewer fills in the rest.

If anything, the momentum kinda runs out not when the tweeest is revealed, but when the problem enters the station. Up until then, the separation of the audience from the action and the tightly shot and exceptionally acted reactions/narration by McHattie and his fellow radio personnel works like gangbusters.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Went and saw Friends With Kids. It was cute enough, I liked it a fair bit, but the pacing is a little wonky and the whole film operates off of the premise that once people get married and crank out kids they turn into unbearable human beings. Also, Hamm and Wiig's relationship is pretty off in comparison to the tone of the film, injecting a lot of overwrought drama here and there.
          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
          *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• RE: RUSS & PONTYPOOL Until the radio station is breeched (by the Doc first then the problem it's self) it's fucking great. But once that Doc opens his mouth I was like wuuuuuuuuuuut? The linguistic issue was 50/50 for me, I think I liked the idea of it but felt the execution was lacking.
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• I feel you.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• On a side note, it looked terrific on my PC monitor in HD. I mean like realllllly nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                  It's an interesting premise and McHattie deserves a huge fucking fistbump for rolling with it.

I don't really think it shat the bed. It's a throwback to the old days of radio, with the viewer being placed back into that mindset for a large portion of the running time, of not knowing anything but what is recounted on air and the viewer fills in the rest.

If anything, the momentum kinda runs out not when the tweeest is revealed, but when the problem enters the station. Up until then, the separation of the audience from the action and the tightly shot and exceptionally acted reactions/narration by McHattie and his fellow radio personnel works like gangbusters.
                  Pontypool is fucking GREAT. It's flawed, but I'll take a movie like that over any generic zombie/iunfected movie any day.

Ever seen The Signal? Another flawed yet highly interesting movie of the genre.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• The Signal was okay. The first short was fantastic, and then it went bonkers with the middle installment, and the last one landed with a thud after the huge tonal change.

Independent of the overall structure of the film, that midpoint is something special.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Agree that the first one is fantastic, but I also really liked the 2nd one. Completely surreal.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Hoooooooooooly shit guys, I just watched Fish Story on instant. Incredible. I hate myself for waiting so long to watch it. I was really enjoying it, but was worried that all of the time line jumping and different characters would be nonsense but in the final 3 minutes everything gets connected and wrapped up perfectly. Watch this TONIGHT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          Bobby Bear YES YES YES.
                          Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                          ... happy to see Bobby posting! Missed ya, lad!
                          Thank you for the warm welcome, gentlemen. I have missed yous (sic.)

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          I'm with you with Killer Klown.... But Ghost in the Shell? And Akira? I am throwing you off the train, my friend.
                          Dude... it's so hollow! Anything of substance is fumbled, either with risible dialogue or general clumsiness! It's like Brotherhood of the Wolf all over again - 14 year old "kewl syndrome" just oozes from it.

I appreciate people having problems with how much Akira packs in; perhaps feeling it doesn't do justice to everything. However, it could never be accused of completely ballsing about with interesting themes like Ghost does. I think it says a lot more about the standard of genre anime (especially at the time) than it does the quality of the film itself that G.I.T.S. has the reputation it does.

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          I chuckled a couple of times, but it totally didn't work for me. I kinda felt it rambled so much... it forgot the gags along the way. I can't remember what I liked, I do remember giggling as I say, but I've not been compelled at all to go back to it.
                          The production design, which I would go as far as to describe as "off the hook," had a lot to do with my enjoyment. As you said, it just wasn't funny enough to get a pass, especially considering the talent involved.

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          There's no fat whatsoever to the film, the plot is tightly wound without being overly complex and Matthau, Joe Don Baker and Andrew Robinson are all on career-best form.
                          I've not seen it the whole way through (it always seems to be on ITV around half 2 in the morning on a Wednesday) but I'm obligated, as the resident Deep Space Nine apologist, to insist Andy Robinson's best work took place on the outpost formerly known as Terok Nor.
                          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• The only titles that should be mentioned as contenders are Dirty Harry and Cobra.
                            I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• yesssss
                              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Cobra is one of my favorite movies, and not even in an ironic way. By far my favorite Stallone movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X