Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was not a fan of that flick at all.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
      Just when Bobby starts making sense, he says something to annihilate the good will he labored to create.

(I was not a fan of EvS. No siree Bob.)
      Whoa whoa whoa! "Just when Bobby starts making sense?" Has the goodwill from my endless posts about Stuart Gordon and Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans been overruled so quickly?

Seriously though, I really enjoyed it. While I can see how it might be too "cutesy quirky shorthand" for some, I found it a sincere and charming alt-love story. Very funny at times, too.

Don't get me wrong: I wasn't 100% on-board with it until they became a couple. I'd say I was still on the fence right the way through the animal fancy dress party, but that's more because I'm cynical about things like that.
      Last edited by Bobby Bear; 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM.
      "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
        Whoa whoa whoa! "Just when Bobby starts making sense?"
        "Making sense again," I meant to say.

EvS just never sheds the skin of being quirky for the sake of being quirky. Like a Miranda July film set in New Zealand.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
          Told you they were amazing on blu.

I agree...it really was the perfect storm back in 2001-2003 for these films to get released. The world just seemed primed for that kind of film experience. The new HOBBIT films feel like product.
          Kinda, yeah. And your recommendation sealed the deal for me in making the upgrade. So, thanks.

Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
          Whoa whoa whoa! "Just when Bobby starts making sense?" Has the goodwill from my endless posts about Stuart Gordon and Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans been overruled so quickly?

Seriously though, I really enjoyed it. While I can see how it might be too "cutesy quirky shorthand" for some, I found it a sincere and charming alt-love story. Very funny at times, too.

Don't get me wrong: I wasn't 100% on-board with it until they became a couple. I'd say I was still on the fence right the way through the animal fancy dress party, but that's more because I'm cynical about things like that.
          Have you seen Submarine, Bob?
          I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
            "Making sense again," I meant to say.

EvS just never sheds the skin of being quirky for the sake of being quirky. Like a Miranda July film set in New Zealand.
            Thank you. I was part-jesting, but I appreciate that.

That's what had me on the fence so long myself, mate. Once things got going romantically, that's when it settled into itself and just really took off for me. A large part of that has to do with the strength of its central female character. I haven't found a leading lady so refreshing in some time (especially in a rom-com.)

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
            Have you seen Submarine, Bob?
            I have, indeed, sir. Loved it. I think I posted about it a few times before (I seem to remember Considine getting singled-out for praise.) Even though it's got more of a sophisticated, dramatic air about it, I'd still put it in the same category as EvS, albeit at either ends of the scale.
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Bought NORTH BY NORTHWEST on bluray the other day. We started it last night but the wife unit wasn't feeling good and went to bed early. We're going to start it again tonight.

Holy Moses does this look awesome on bluray.
              Originally posted by Martin
              Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
              Originally posted by gravedigger
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
              And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
              Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Paranormal Activity & part deux. I didn't hate the first but it certainly has some issues. Pacing is off in a few scenes and the ending is lame but it carries over into the second part which makes me hate it a little less but not much since I didn't care for how the second one ends. Will watch 3 when I can get the disc.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                  Redline

I know I'm supposed to feel like this was the most visually stunning thing ever, but I just didn't get into it at all. The level of design and animation skill on show is impressive. However, no amount of technical prowess can detract from how boring the rest of it is. I couldn't muster any investment in either the story or characters because the film seemed so preoccupied with dazzling me. That's all well and good if it's all you're watching it for, I guess, but I want a little more from my films than just a demo reel straight out of a video game.

This is in no way a dig at anyone who said before they enjoyed the film. I just prefer a more traditional animation style than this - warmer lines, not so stark and highlighter bright as this - so I couldn't even enjoy it on a "background noise"/eye candy level alone. Not to sound like too much of a whinger, but part of me thinks "man, what a shame all those talented artists spent 7 years on this." If there was a story and a focus to match that investment, it could have been special.
                  Totally respect your opinion, and get the criticism for the style of animation, though I loved how it differred from all the other animes (and I love Madhouse studio), but really, how is Redline, you know, boring?? I don't get it. maybe Redline mindfucked my brain, but I like it.

EDIT: What do you like, anime wise?

And did anyone ever see that Evangelion remake they did?
                  Last edited by Martin; 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM.
                  BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• IRON MAIDEN: FLIGHT 666

Finally watched this. Fuck do I wish that I could have seen this tour.
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Bruce Dickinson is awesome.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Bridesmaids. Started really strong then went down the same stupid path all comedies seem to take anymore. Getting all uncomfortable and serious. Kills the funny.
                        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• WERD. Still don't get the stupid amounts of love for that movie. Too long, not that funny, and TOO LONG.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Kristen Wiig needs a steak and Mya Rudolph needs a mile of Dick.
                            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Contagion, it didn't quite give me an anxiety attack but purell bath needs to happen now. Also fuck that scene where the wife seizes up, reminds me of mom's aneurysm and stroke to much. Also please stop touching everything, I will do the same. THX
                              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• WHAT'S IN THE HEAD?!

Comment

Working...
                                X